• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Just think of what these modern comics are going to be worth is 15 years. Before the mid 2000's comics had print runs of 150,000 and plenty more. Most of your late silver and bronze key issues had print runs much higher than most of the books these days.

The problem with this line of thinking is that supply is only half of the equation.

Ok, but look at the current demand for these books. How many of the current trend are selling out at the publisher? Then look at how many were possibly pulped for damage. Destroyed by general readers. If books like this one and Saga get such great reviews and fan responses now, that would lead one to think the desire for future collectors would be even greater. But that's the speculation game in a nutshell.

Ok, but look at the current demand for these books. How many of the current trend are selling out at the publisher? Then look at how many were possibly pulped for damage. Destroyed by general readers. If books like this one and Saga get such great reviews and fan responses now, that would lead one to think the desire for future collectors would be even greater. But that's the speculation game in a nutshell.

But unless these indie comic book series make a splash in popular culture like the Walking Dead, they are going to be forgotten in 15 years. Most people have never even heard of Saga or East of West outside of the comic book collecting community. Superheroes will still be popular and always have fans.

Just wait until they announce EAST of WEST....... The television drama that no one can miss lol

I know there was talk of a YTLM movie that seems to be stalled or dead. But Saga just seems like it is bound for the silver screen. That being said, Sandman still has a huge fan base. Not superhero not mainstream. But at the same time I do see your point as well.

And sorry for the slight high jack here. Back to the main theme of this thread :)

But unless these indie comic book series make a splash in popular culture like the Walking Dead, they are going to be forgotten in 15 years. Most people have never even heard of Saga or East of West outside of the comic book collecting community. Superheroes will still be popular and always have fans.

I agree, and even though I collect Image titles, in the long run I see pretty much all of them having problem staying relevant. If you think about Marvel, DC, and to some extent Valiant comics, most if not all of their titles involve characters that not only show up in their own title(s) but other characters title also. There is a connection among the characters, a sense of community, so even if one of the title end you know that the characters of that title can show up somewhere down the road instead of being completely gone. Image titles and characters? Not so much. As a comic reader I don't mind each title has no connection with one another as long as the stories are good, but as a collector I would be weary of keeping most of these Image books for the long run.

Edited by Fabianz1977

not only is it one of my favorite Beatles songs, but it may just be true

"Tomorrow Never Knows"

i am a self admitted Image Fanboy. i dont hide that fact. i also see myself as part of breed of new collectors that dont care all that much about "super heroes". Sure, they are there and always have been, but they dont do much for me.

I was a superhero fanboy when I was younger. And both Spidey and Bats still hold a special place in my heart, but now days there is literally nothing for me at Marvel any more personally. I developed a love for Indy books in the 90's and that trend stuck with me to today.

In its beginning I saw Image as the alternate mainstream. Now I see them as the mainstream for alternates. Image's publishing strategy changed years ago. They aren't trying to replace Marvel anymore. So many of these creator owned books would never have seen the light of day with the Indy publishers of the 90's.

Edited by Sarfa

Anyone know where I can pick up some East of West OA?

Also, anyone going to Wondercon tomorrow able to find out for me?

Nick recently created a Tumblr which his personal website auto forwards too.

Unfortunately, it lacks a way to easily communicate through.

I tried asking him via Twitter, but received no reply.

My understanding is that the OA that does exist is actually a recreation of pages that he thinks would be desirable (and e is holding them as some sort of "nest egg"). I wouldn't touch them.

Edited by jjeanius