• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Yeah...

1. Flippers make more than minimum wage doing what they do. The notion of the unwitting flipper that is working for minimum wage is a fallacy perpetrated on the boards by people who don't like the fact that flippers look at comics as commodities and their volume sales model drive down average sale price per comic.

Agreed, provided you are careful with what you buy. Over the past few months I have made a few grand off of select DC New 52 (Batman family books primarily), Image (Saga, Revival, Nowhere Men), and Marvel (All New X-Men, ASM, Hawkeye) titles that I bought for cover for the most part (some of my Saga, Revival and Batman #1s were bought for higher to complete sets, and I bought some runs on the boards for 1/2 of what they were flipped for). However, most of these books were bought from LCSs in bulk after I read them/they received great reviews online. As long as you are willing to dig a bit and are picky with what you chase you will usually be rewarded. (thumbs u

2. Bubble burst is in the offing, probably in a year. Smart, conservative move is to sell a portion of your comics to cover cost in case it bursts sooner. Then let the remaining copies sit till you heart is content or the right price comes along. Either way, since you cover costs, you won't be left at a loss.

It might be a bit longer, but the current speculative bubble will eventually burst on the crappy titles. However, due to the print to order on quality books they will likely retain their value.

In any case, I disagree with the notion of selling to cover costs and letting the rest of the books ride. If you speculate well, you should at least take a 2X return off the table while the books are hot. I learned this lesson from the early 90s comic/sports card bubble. While I played the comics side of it right as a young collector due to dumb luck (sold/traded moderns for SA and BA by chance) I still have a small pile of binders and boxes of sportscards in the basement that are worth a fraction of what they once were.

That being said, right now is a great time to be flipping hot moderns for GA, SA and BA keys or high demand books that will retain their value longer term. 2c

Thanks to flipping these moderns, I am picking up a nice mostly Marvel SA through BA collection that includes runs down to #1 of a couple of titles and #10 up on others. :banana:

Edited by kimik

Man did this thread go off track with all the viperdays talk -- I sent him an email so I'm sure we will get his reply soon

Viperdays can do whatever he wants. And he is more than helpful to anyone who asks questions. And reading Bleeding Cool about the buying clubs and a few pages back about the comic book Illuminati #2 he really isn't making a difference. It is just that he is on this thread and he is open about it that he gets bashed. 200 copies of Batman Incorporated #8? I don't think that put a dent in that print run. I know he went a little bigger on Uber #0, but when you get 2 1:100 variants of Batman Inc #8 for $1.xx I don't think it really matters.

Da faq?~?~

I thought this was the EoW thread?!?!

its been like this from the beginning doh!

sigh

It is just that he is on this thread and he is open about it that he gets bashed. 200 copies of Batman Incorporated #8?

nope, it was because he showed up trying to talk like a big man with secret advice to offer people(pre-order in bulk wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, who knew derp) and was making claims about both volume of sales, and price of sales that were proven false by his ebay account being posted. But, he assures that it's his "off ebay" sales and "having his kids do the packaging for him" that keeps him BALLIN'

leave him over here:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/

where he can continue blind leading blind activities....

Edited by CBT

Man did this thread go off track with all the viperdays talk -- I sent him an email so I'm sure we will get his reply soon

Thanks cdrag, we encourage continued pot stirring (thumbs u

haha - it keeps the forum interesting!

Mashed, don't get all butt hurt and leave us. (as opposed to bunn and hurtt from Sixth Gun!)

Truth is people make money doing it. Those who simply state there is no $$ in it, are doing it wrong. Simple as that.

19 more days till issue 2 comes out, I may just take a vacation from this thread till then.

Who's this "Viperdays" you guys speak of? :shrug:

this thread started off with a boatload of people piling in talking about how many copies of this they had pre-ordered.

Followed by many other people then trashing the book saying it would flop in secondary value a la bedlam.

Followed by others saying quality is what matters, not print run, a la Saga.

viperdays was one of the people who bought 100 copies, and it led to a lot of side arguments, and an underlining current of discussion on bubbles, methods of ordering comics etc.

Really, the recent sub-subjects are par for the course in this thread lol.

Anyway, let's get back to money with numismatic value!!

EoW.JPG

midtown can make 9.8s, who knew :ohnoez:

My copies from midtown were

Edited by jreezy