• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

complexity is the best possible thing a comic book can have for me to enjoy it. Comics arent for kids anymore, its adult literature. Pointless violence or sex anyone can write, I want a good story that makes you think and isnt predictable or a series of cliches strung together.

See here is the the dilemma I think as a writer.

A.) You can write a good story with a textbook ending and alot will love it. Some will cry the book is predictable. Some will cry the book was boring. It will be heavily printed so speculators wont like it either. And still others who hate superhero books will cry all of the above. Civil War, Infinity Gauntlet, Identity Crisis and so on.

B.)The writer can write a complex storyline that cause you to think and wonder as you are going along. And yes some issues make you go WTF? Superhero fans like me dont like this type unless its easy to follow its why some dont like Morrison or Moore as well. This is EoW and MP and Saga, to some extent.

C.)The last are good stories like Revival, Hack Slash, Old Man Logan, Y the Last Man, Plantary, JSA(Johns), which are written in story arcs that break apart easy and readers are used to these and tend to like them better. They are also usually written with trades in mind as well. This is what I grew up on and I still like the best.

I am trying like hell to like B as well, sometimes its just take some time and patience.

Edited by Fastballspecial

complexity is the best possible thing a comic book can have for me to enjoy it. Comics arent for kids anymore, its adult literature. Pointless violence or sex anyone can write, I want a good story that makes you think and isnt predictable or a series of cliches strung together.

I'm not asking for cliches, pointless violence, or sex (although who doesn't like sex?). I just don't like complex books that become hard to follow without me revisiting the other issues. I read a lot of moderns each month. If something becomes hard to follow, then it drops in the pile.

In this age of $3.99 books- books have to wow me. If I'm confused then I'm out.

I didnt enjoy 3 as well as 2, but I also understand we are building a story here so jumping off now would not be a wise decision.

I agree with you that issue 2 was a better read, but I still enjoyed issue 3 quite a bit (I can't think of a single series where every single issue gets progressively better). Did you not enjoy issue 3? Just curious.

This. I want the "Inception" of comic books experience

Inception was complex? I never got this comment. It was a story about a person in a dream in a dream. Not very complex...

I didnt enjoy 3 as well as 2, but I also understand we are building a story here so jumping off now would not be a wise decision.

I agree with you that issue 2 was a better read, but I still enjoyed issue 3 quite a bit (I can't think of a single series where every single issue gets progressively better). Did you not enjoy issue 3? Just curious.

It wasnt bad just not as good as 2 I think. It wasn't I quit bad, just a let down after issue 2 I think. In a few months I may look back on this issue and go "Wow I missed all that in that issue?". I give any book around 5 issues to hook me. Some do some dont. I think its easier to read then MP and MG were.

It wasnt bad just not as good as 2 I think. It wasn't I quit bad, just a let down after issue 2 I think. In a few months I may look back on this issue and go "Wow I missed all that in that issue?". I give any book around 5 issues to hook me. Some do some dont. I think its easier to read then MP and MG were.

Thank you for explaining :-) I agree with the let down after 2, but still thought it read better than most issues on the market. Not everything can be 5-star, but I thought that the issue was, at worse, a 3.5 star issue (on a scale of 5).

Inception was complex? I never got this comment. It was a story about a person in a dream in a dream. Not very complex...

I get it. You get it. I think the dream within a dream within a dream within a dream plus minutes equal hours equals years was tough for some to wrap their minds around. I liked it for the above reason but mainly how Noland sets up an idea and the theme is through the experience (the spinner top) and is resolved in the end (or left with more questions).

The Prestige was the same way.

I had no problems following the storyline. In fact, this is the book that solidifies everything that has happened so far.

Exactly how I feel. Reading it I didnt think for one second that I would read that people were having issues following along

I had no problems following the storyline. In fact, this is the book that solidifies everything that has happened so far.

Exactly how I feel. Reading it I didnt think for one second that I would read that people were having issues following along

I truly thought this issue connected very well to the first two, and clearly set up a what should be a fantastic tail end to the first arc. Perhaps read the first two issues again, then chase it with #3? I

'm usually one that's okay w/ being spoonfed via entertainment, and I followed this pretty easily.

Edited by ComicsNYC22