• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yippee two of my books got free CVA stickers!

53 posts in this topic

The sticker is not straight.

The sticker is not appealing to the eye, at all, in my view it distracts from the actual grade printed in the top left and detracts from the look of the CGC case.

I don't need someone telling me if somthing looks pretty or not.

EPIC STUPIDITY THIS IS.

I think that is why as a seller I'm in favor of CVA because you really cant tell from a scan how nice (or bad) a book is.

I do agree with that stance - it makes sense and justifies the service somewhat. However, CVS has been openly busted slapping their stickers on miswrapped books that clearly are *not* exceptional.

The other part of it is that a 9.0 book that gets a 9.0 grade might have gotten it due to an interior issue. Staining. Bends. Folds. Tears. Who knows. To slap a sticker on it saying that it's an *exceptional* book without even knowing what is going on inside the slab is no better than some jagoff Ebay seller grading a book through a bag, and is a completely blatant attempt at ripping people off.

That last part makes me wonder why CGC doesn't note interior damage like that though. What If I want to open it up to read it simply to find that a page is scribbled on with a marker or some mess. I'd be pissed!

rantrant

Yes, they emailed me a few days ago asking if we would like to participate when the review was free for the consignors.

They said that they will ask again when the free period ends in the future.

So...you can choose to participate or not.

Did you choose yes or no?

I never refuse anything free.

I'd refuse this service. Hands down this is just another way to inflate an already inflated market. Letting them place an advertisement on my book wouldn't fly with me!

I'd refuse this service. Hands down this is just another way to inflate an already inflated market. Letting them place an advertisement on my book wouldn't fly with me!

I would tend to agree here. But if we're talking about ads how about as a seller demanding they don't put the CL sticker on the slab :sumo:

Does the CVA sticker leave a residue when peeled off? hm

If it was the type of sticker that would stay on, wouldn't it have to?

It was a tongue in cheek way of saying I'd remove the sticker. :shy:

Yes, they emailed me a few days ago asking if we would like to participate when the review was free for the consignors.

They said that they will ask again when the free period ends in the future.

So...you can choose to participate or not.

So they're going to charge to look through your slab and put a sticker on it? Sounds asinine. Can't anyone look at the scans and think, "Hmm, that presents well in grade"?

Agreed. The whole business practice of cva is silly to me. It's an obvious ploy to trick buyers into paying more money for a book hence why comiclink is giving out the service for free. They want as many cva books in their auction as possible it can only help them bring in more money. atleast the sellers don't have to pay for it though.

In bold is that part that's objectionable. Suggests that they're going to start charging for the service. If that's true, it's pretty darn lame.

I think that is why as a seller I'm in favor of CVA because you really cant tell from a scan how nice (or bad) a book is.

I do agree with that stance - it makes sense and justifies the service somewhat. However, CVS has been openly busted slapping their stickers on miswrapped books that clearly are *not* exceptional.

The other part of it is that a 9.0 book that gets a 9.0 grade might have gotten it due to an interior issue. Staining. Bends. Folds. Tears. Who knows. To slap a sticker on it saying that it's an *exceptional* book without even knowing what is going on inside the slab is no better than some jagoff Ebay seller grading a book through a bag, and is a completely blatant attempt at ripping people off.

I mostly agree, except for two thoughts

1) We are talking about CL - they who do not even provide back cover scans on uber expensive books. And they don't take returns of CGC graded books. As a result, they have become the dumping ground for anything that looks better in a scan than in hand and every 9.4 with a 8.0 back cover. Sadly, the CVA sticker adds something to their auctions I think.

2) I thought the CVA stickers are given to books with exceptional EYE appeal for the given grade. With that being the criteria, hidden defects don't matter so much in their awarding of exceptional.

In bold is that part that's objectionable. Suggests that they're going to start charging for the service. If that's true, it's pretty darn lame.
I know! Hey---when you show up at work tomorrow, you should tell your lame boss to stop paying you. :baiting:

I mostly agree, except for two thoughts

1) We are talking about CL - they who do not even provide back cover scans on uber expensive books. And they don't take returns of CGC graded books. As a result, they have become the dumping ground for anything that looks better in a scan than in hand and every 9.4 with a 8.0 back cover. Sadly, the CVA sticker adds something to their auctions I think.

2) I thought the CVA stickers are given to books with exceptional EYE appeal for the given grade. With that being the criteria, hidden defects don't matter so much in their awarding of exceptional.

That's essentially what cva is telling everyone. if your books have defects on the back cover and inside pages send them to cva where you will be rewarded.

I know! Hey---when you show up at work tomorrow, you should tell your lame boss to stop paying you. :baiting:

I suppose if someone's willing to pay for this 'service' they'll get what they pay for: a shiny sticker. I don't see much more than that being offered here.

meh. The collecting community will decide. If there's money to be made through the sticker, they'll line up to pay for it. If not, the idea'll fall flat.

That last part makes me wonder why CGC doesn't note interior damage like that though. What If I want to open it up to read it simply to find that a page is scribbled on with a marker or some mess. I'd be pissed!

rantrant

Why? You're paying CGC to grade the book, not to explain how they got to that particular grade. If you want more detailed info, buy the graders' notes.

I'm thinking cva is kinda random and possibly bogus (the haters might be right cva is a gimmick) when these three books of mine didnt get stickers.... they are mind blowingly bright in person

Metamorpho 11 9.4

Our Army at War 157 9.2

Action 333 9.4 white

This one is super bright too, but I think the miswrap killed the CVA chances. I think 2 months ago CVA took a lot of heat for CVA-ing books with miswraps... This book is SWEET...

Metal Men 25 9.6

I'm thinking cva is kinda random and possibly bogus (the haters might be right cva is a gimmick) when these three books of mine didnt get stickers.... they are mind blowingly bright in person

Metamorpho 11 9.4

Our Army at War 157 9.2

Action 333 9.4 white

This one is super bright too, but I think the miswrap killed the CVA chances. I think 2 months ago CVA took a lot of heat for CVA-ing books with miswraps... This book is SWEET...

Metal Men 25 9.6

nice books.

Metamorpho 11 9.4

Our Army at War 157 9.2

Action 333 9.4 white

Metal Men 25 9.6

I think PQ is the issue on the Metamorpho (arent they only stickering White PQ books?), and While the Action is White PQ, it does look like it is the tiniest bit off centered (can see a little white along the spine near the bottom quarter which makes me think its a bit off centered).

All I can guess with your OAAW is that they are being strict about the White PQ only for SA and later... otherwise that looks like a nicely centered book!

Supposedly books getting stickered are the best presenting versions, so White PQ, perfectly centered (we've already seen some failure in this area), and so on...