• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOD 10 future viability

43 posts in this topic

Here's a general question: would you say that the DC horror titles of the 70 are more collectable / popular than those of Marvel?

I honestly don't know. I do know that it is difficult to compare TOD to the DC books like HOS, Witching Hour etc. TOD is closer in concept to a super-hero book as it has continuing characters and a main hero/anti-hero. The DC books are pretty much all anthologies, lacking recurring characters. They tend towards two different types of collectors, overall.

I'm suprised to hear that many thought that TOD was only so-so. The quality of the series never did drop & was consistently the best horror book published (I believe Colan's run on the full 70 issues was 2nd only to Kirby's run on the first 102 FF's at the time). Part of the problem may have been that it was difficult to follow if you hadn't read it for years, much like a soap opera, with the supporting cast playing a larger part than the character of Dracula. IMO, Blade was a minor character, who's 1st appearance wasn't even seperated from the other non descript issues in the price guide, until his movie came out. It's been a while, but I don't even think Blade was one of the major reappearing characters, meaning, 4 or 5 other supporting characters had much more impact on the series from beginning to end. As someone else mentioned, once the movie series runs it's course, I would expect the Blade books to settle back down quite a bit behind the #1 issue. Still a TOD key, just not something that will remain hot imo.

I just love when people try to discount others opinions by making the claim that person only defends it because they have a stake in the character

You had no basis to back up your argument and you didn't answer questions. I'll ask again...If you are right on the subject, I'd imagine you'd have some answers since you brought some of these up.....

Give me the other Dracs comics that are as collectible as TOD?

You said he was a mid-major character? Where's the proof? What significant contribution did Blade have outside TOD that would justify calling #10 more important (and valuable) than #1.

Where's the justification that #10 deserves to be anything more than a slightly higher than common book?

I've given you many reasons why the issue won't hold its value. Start defending your position in other than vague generalities. As far as the "how many comics" issue, it was a throwaway comment as I really don't know what you're basing your opinion on. confused.gif

It's a much better question that asking if you're just naive to the subject.

Anyways, using this logic since your arguing in favor of ToD #1 that must mean your hoarding the [!@#%^&^] out of the series

I have two copies of each..a beater and a VF of both. You gotta read'em I say. shocked.gif

Jim

He was a mid-major character in the early 90's if you were reading comics then you would've seen him in a lot of different series all based around that Ghost Rider/Nightstalkers/Blade/there's more I can't think of as they only lasted 20-30 issues. Anyways, during that "dark" comic craze that was going on he made a TON of appearances..as well as being regularly featured in long-running story arcs.

I never said ToD #10 should be more valuable then ToD #1, it should be on par with it and which way it moves..if ToD #10 goes down that imo would mean that the ToD series dropped somewhat in interest. By no means is either issue hard to find, either.

Most Dracula stories were told to death in old horror comics and books. You can't possibly believe ToD #1 in the 70's was the first Dracula appearance ever in comics??

IMO ToD #1 is just as important as ToD #10..neither are really important but they're certainly not books to ignore.

Brian

would you say that the DC horror titles of the 70 are more collectable / popular than those of Marvel?

I'd say yes. At least the early 70s stuff. Better stories and better people working on the titles. And you got to love those covers to draw you in....

Jim

during that "dark" comic craze that was going on he made a TON of appearances..as well as being regularly featured in long-running story arcs.

I did read comics during this time...

Nightstalkers lasted 18 issues. Blade lasted 10. Both sold dismally and couldn't be canceled fast enough by Marvel (in fact the whole 90s horror try by Marvel was a dismal failure). He made a couple of other appearances in Ghost Rider and even a Spider-man. None lasted more than two or so issues. This is not a TON of appearances and not a mid-major character by any stretch. Major-minor might be more appropriate.

I never said ToD #10 should be more valuable then ToD #1, it should be on par with it and which way it moves

That's right...you did. Should have made it more clear in my post. But I still think you're wrong. #1 has much more liquidity than #10. The first issue will stay and actually gain its levels in relation to #10 after the movie hype dies down. There no reason for the issue to be priced at a premium over surrounding issues. Higher..yes but not on par with #1 price moves.

Most Dracula stories were told to death in old horror comics and books. You can't possibly believe ToD #1 in the 70's was the first Dracula appearance ever in comics??

Sure they had prior comics. But the question was what prior Drac appearances have the collecting power that TOD has.

IMO ToD #1 is just as important as ToD #10..neither are really important but they're certainly not books to ignore.

TOD #1 is inherently more important than #10. If not for #1 there wouldn't be a Blade appearance to talk about. Also, #1 was part of the start of Marvel's horror push of the early 70s (w/ MS #2) and was successful enough to last 70 issues. Blade was a small part of its success. I'll grant you, Blade is a cool character and his first appearance will be more collectible than other TOD issues. But not as important or collectible as #1.

Jim

Without Dracula there'd be no Blade? Probably, but without Blade would Dracula have lasted 71 (?) issues? Maybe not. Blade made an appearance in a total of 30 issues of the series..usually when you get repetitive like this you either have A. a great character, or B. the title doesn't move without the guest appearance.

Not to mention that he's guest appeared in a bunch of titles between his first appearance and now..granted there's limited non-vampire books you can put him in..but I'd say over 25-30 (not counting times where he was in the book for a multi-issue story-arc) guest appearances between then and now by such a pigeon-holed character is pretty damn good.

Brian

Not to mention that he's guest appeared in a bunch of titles between his first appearance and now..granted there's limited non-vampire books you can put him in..but I'd say over 25-30 (not counting times where he was in the book for a multi-issue story-arc) guest appearances between then and now by such a pigeon-holed character is pretty damn good

You said it Murph....Pigeon-holed is the word. Another reason why TOD #10 will never reach the levels of TOD #1. Lukewarm acceptance outside the title to garner support from non horror collectors which are the people needed to drive and sustain higher prices for #10.

Marvel tried very hard to make Blade a major character and failed. In fact, did you know the last mini-series almost didn't get completed due to absolutely terrible sales? And had the movie out to drive the sales?

Blade will remain nothing more than a supporting cast member in TOD which was lucky enough to have a movie or three made. After the movie hoopla dies down, #10 will fall to semi-desired levels with reduced priced as a result.

Jim

I'm pretty sure you know this anyway, but I was being VERY sarcastic. They're both trash, with Darkhawk stinking a little less out of the two.

If a TOD 10 in 9.6 sells for $150-200 in five years time...I'm selling my wife and daughter and buying up every single copy of that book.

I've made this argument sooo many times before - thanks to Hollywood and writers/directors who are committed to creating great superhero movies - these characters will live on longer than (some of) their comic book series.

Blade was an obscure "D" level Marvel character before Wesley Snipes teamed up with David Goyer and created a kick- superhero with 2 movies that really rocked hard. Blade 2 built on the success of the first one and a Blade 3 is a definite. Not only that, but there is talk about a Blade TV spin-off after the third movie..featuring a younger Blade.

As Bruce showed with the CGC stats, this book is holding its own in value. I would say that's because an unknown number of old collectors/new collectors saw one of these Blade movies, or bought one of the DVD's...and decided they needed to own the very first app of Blade..

I'm one of them...

Marvel rushed the Blade comic series and it sucked. But as we are seeing, that has no effect whatsoever on the value of the first app of Blade (or the origin issue for that matter, #13).

Even after Blade 3 opens and does great box office business...and the DVD comes out 6 months later...and possibly the TV series comes out 1 year after that...and New Line decides to repackage all 3 movies in one special DVD box set....and then TNT plays the movies on TV...this character will live on and on and on...and that means more exposure for old and new collectors to decide if they want to own Blade books. And I for one think that the long term value for the key Blade books is solid.