• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Year by Year Favorite Title

13 posts in this topic

:hi: Want something that sounds easy but is not. Try to ID your favorite title on a year by year basis.

Here's what I came up with, knowing full well that my choices are not the mainstream but if you have time & inclination, try it out. Start with Mike's Newsstand and enjoy the roll-out and phase-out of book, titles, publishers and genres. [Caveat: not all publishers are covered there].

My list:

1938 - New Adventure Comics

1939 - Mystery Men

1940 - Crack Comics

1941 - Pep Comics

1942 - Planet Comics

1943 - Fight Comics

1944 - Our Gang Comics

1945 - Fight Comics

1946 - Four Color Comics

1947 - Raggedy Ann & Andy

1948 - Wings Comics

1949 - All-American Western

1950 - Star Spangled Comics

1951 - Mystery in Space

1952 - Lassie

1953 - Weird Science

1954 - Atlas Horror

1955 - Lorna, the Jungle Girl

1956 - Brave and the Bold

I think it’s unclear whether you were referring to the year a title started, or to a specific year for which that title was a favorite.

In the second case, with the little knowledge I have acquired so far:

1941 - National Comics (with a very special mention for Zip Comics as well)

1942 - Daredevil Comics

1953 - The Marvel Family

and of course between 1939 and 1940 it’s a fight between Crack Comics and Mystery Men.

And about the Disney titles I equally favor the wartime years… :-)

You understood correctly (and the fact that I list Fight Comics for both 1943 and 1945 confirms that) that it's the year & quality combination. :thumbsup:

I had a tough time as well between Mystery Men & Smash for 1940 and Cap America lost to Pep in 1941 and post S&K didn't make it back into contention.

Star Spangled Comics only makes the list in 1950 when the title ran with Tomahawk covers.

For the Four Color Comics, I chose the transitional year when classic strip reprints rub shoulders with early Lulu & Walt Kelly issues with a peppering of Barks.

1954 is really the year of the genre so I cheated with Atlas Horror as no specific title wins over the others but if I had to choose, I'd go with Adventures into Weird Worlds.

I haven't read enough variety of GA to really give a year by year answer, except to say that I think Batman was by far the best title of 1940. Issue's 1-4 are classics, without a bad story in the lot. In the period from 1950-55, there's no question that the EC New Trend titles were overall the best written and drawn books in the field. And I'm sure the Barks Duck books and All-Star Comics have to fit in there somewhere too.

The Time Machine is aptly named as I start sifting through it and the next thing I know it's several hours in the future.