• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walk me through a typical walkthru at the CGC

51 posts in this topic

All I know is what is posted on the CGC services and fees page:

Same day turnaround, no limit on comic value, retail price is 3% FMV of comic.

So let's start from that last one: 3% FMV. Is that determined by gpa pricing of slabs? If that's the case, how is the FMV determined if the comic is not well represented by sales on the gpa in recent years? Let's say a golden age comic that is fairly rare and not slabbed or sold often...possibly with the last recorded sale in 2009 for example. I don't have any particular comic in mind, but as I've been perusing the gpa I do sometimes find examples as described above. Would a value from Overstreet be used under those circumstances?

Is the 3$ FMV the total cost of the slabbing or is there a minimum amount that all walkthrus cost? I'd think if I had a couple of modern comics that they'd hardly be worth the CGCs effort to slab at only 3% FMV. So I'm assuming there is some minimum?

Do you have to make an appointment in advance to have a walkthru or can you show up any given business day?

Is there a known maximum amount of comics that can be walked thru in a day?

I'm certain there's a physical limit, so I don't need comic responses on this one....but possibly they do have a published limit on items: ie-no more than 50 per day or something?

How's the customer service on site? Are you encouraged to stay (do they have a lobby with coffee, etc?) or is it expected you just drop off and go until the process is done?

Will they let you watch the process at all? Probably silly to even ask that one, but I didn't think it would hurt....lol.

Even information about the area around the CGC in Sarasota Fl would be helpful: good places to eat, places to hang while waiting for mags to be processed, best hotels to stay at, etc.

Basically I'm looking for your overall impressions and experiences with the walkthru service as well as any advice for individuals that are considering doing the same. Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

Is the 3$ FMV the total cost of the slabbing or is there a minimum amount that all walkthrus cost? I'd think if I had a couple of modern comics that they'd hardly be worth the CGCs effort to slab at only 3% FMV. So I'm assuming there is some minimum?

Minimum charge of $150.

Minimum charge of $150.

So that's going to be $150 or 3% whichever is higher....not both (ie-$150 + 3%) correct?

Minimum charge of $150.

So that's going to be $150 or 3% whichever is higher....not both (ie-$150 + 3%) correct?

Correct.

Typical walk through experience.

Make an appointment.

Show up.

Hand them the books and forms.

Pay.

Sit in the lobby and watch the news and have a bottled water.

Check your online account for updates.

Get lunch.

Check online account again for updates.

When item shows shipped/safe drive back to CGC.

Sit in lobby.

Watch same news channel.

Have books handed to you.

Go home.

Minimum charge of $150.

Lets say the book is worth 100 bucks, at 3% Do i just owe them 3 bucks?

:whee:

Typical walk through experience.

Make an appointment.

Show up.

Hand them the books and forms.

Pay.

Sit in the lobby and watch the news and have a bottled water.

Check your online account for updates.

Get lunch.

Check online account again for updates.

When item shows shipped/safe drive back to CGC.

Sit in lobby.

Watch same news channel.

Have books handed to you.

Go home.

For those of us that don't live near CGC - which would be most of us since Sarosota's population is only about 50,000 residents - it's like this:

Fill out the CGC invoice, selecting walk thru as the sevice and estimating the value yourself.

Securely package the book with invoice and payment

Take it to the shipping service of your choice and make sure it is insured

Go home. Live your life as normal.

Check online every day to see if the has book arrived.

When it arrives, check at the end of the day for the grade.

Wait on book to be delivered back to you.

Lets say the book is worth 100 bucks, at 3% Do i just owe them 3 bucks?

Since the minimum cost for a walkthrough is $150.00 you shouldn't submit a $100 book under that service when you can get the same book graded under value tier for $20.00.

Of course you could, but it would make little to no sense.