• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

I'd be curious to hear comic collector's thoughts on prototypes. Just by way of introduction these are pre-production cartridges. Working copies from the publisher. Typically builds would be saved over previous builds so usually the prototypes that exist are identical or very close to the retail version of the game. The only thing that is different usually is a) the provenance/history and b) the board itself uses read/write type parts instead of read only parts, so the boards are larger and heavier than retail. Copies known are usually in the 1-10 range.

For example, here's a final fantasy prototype, 4-5 known, ended at 2k: http://www.gamegavel.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000719154

I'd love to hear everybody's takes, from non-game collectors as to desirability / potential value.

My own take is that historically as working copies prior to retail production, they are a 9/10 or better, from a historical point of view.

Aesthetically.... ugh. They are typically nasty looking, just like this final fantasy one. A grey brick with no label and writing in black marker. So aesthetically for me they are a 1/10? 0/10?

So the rarity and the history is there but they look like Rosie O'Donnell in a thong, plus for me at least some of the nostalgia connection is gone due to the poor/different aesthetics.

I'm kind of "mehhh" on them. They are cheap all things considered but I just can't get excited by something that looks so unattractive, so I find the fact they are cheap to be appropriate. Thoughts?

I'd compare them to ashcans in the comic hobby. Unique (or a handful) known, with black and white covers sometimes on a mock interior etc. Often highly valued by collectors, yet at the same time, despite their rarity, not as highly valued as real examples of key books.

My interest in videogames is nostalgia, so my most highly prized items would be high grade examples of the games that made me. I think that market will always be a lot bigger than the market for production items etc.

Ashcans! Good analogy. That`s probably the best analogy that could be made I think.

Got this in the mail today..I'm happy to report that this store does not sell comics, but that is how amazon used to pack my hardcovers...I no longer buy HC's at amazon..

(I ordered this locally 1½ weeks ago, never expected them to actually deliver with all the cancelled orders debacle and the ebayer with 200 copies @ $400 a pop lol )

IMG_20130129_113133-1.jpg

4½ hours in and lovin' it :)

Got this in the mail today..I'm happy to report that this store does not sell comics, but that is how amazon used to pack my hardcovers...I no longer buy HC's at amazon..

(I ordered this locally 1½ weeks ago, never expected them to actually deliver with all the cancelled orders debacle and the ebayer with 200 copies @ $400 a pop lol )

(worship)

Jealous. I'm dying to buy a PS3 and a copy of this game and play it through, but my life is just too busy to allow it :frustrated:

I was also sorely tempted to order one of those wizard editions last year, but decided it was a foolish expense and I'd probably regret it :frustrated:

Regarding the prototype carts... I am not a big time collector and that's out of my league whether I like them or not, but for me they don't interest me at all. Maybe if it was a unique experience with previous versions of the game or some sort of quirks... or as you said, some interesting label. At the end of the day though if you never opened the cart you could just pretend your regular copy without a label is the same as the prototype... who'd know really?

I been playing Dead Space lately.

It kicks @$$ :cool:

There were a lot of "HOLY S :censored: " moments in the game :o

I almost wet my pants from those moments :insane:lol

Now you understand why I said it's one of the very best survival horror games ever created. (thumbs u

images.jpg

(worship)

Jealous. I'm dying to buy a PS3 and a copy of this game and play it through, but my life is just too busy to allow it :frustrated:

I was also sorely tempted to order one of those wizard editions last year, but decided it was a foolish expense and I'd probably regret it :frustrated:

The jealousy was too much. I scoured the online shops and placed no less than four orders on sites that weren't already stating 'sold out'. Had one cancellation so far, and one confirmed despatched! :banana:

I was figuring they might not have the stock, and if I ended up with extra I'd just flip the rest. Now I know I've at least got one :cloud9:

The jealousy was too much. I scoured the online shops and placed no less than four orders on sites that weren't already stating 'sold out'. Had one cancellation so far, and one confirmed despatched! :banana:

I was figuring they might not have the stock, and if I ended up with extra I'd just flip the rest. Now I know I've at least got one :cloud9:

lol

damn flippers :sumo:

I feel sorry for the people who preordered 5 month ago only to have it canceled last week :sorry:

Maybe it's just in the US there's a shortage problem (shrug)

Edited by Thomas Nielsen

Welcome to 2008. :baiting:

lol

I feel sorry for the people who preordered 5 month ago only to have it canceled last week :sorry:

UK version of the Wizard's Edition. Didn't have the same problem as the US pre-orders, but still all but sold out prior to its 1st Feb release date.

lol

Namco Bandai are horrible at distributing games.

I'd be curious to hear comic collector's thoughts on prototypes. Just by way of introduction these are pre-production cartridges. Working copies from the publisher. Typically builds would be saved over previous builds so usually the prototypes that exist are identical or very close to the retail version of the game. The only thing that is different usually is a) the provenance/history and b) the board itself uses read/write type parts instead of read only parts, so the boards are larger and heavier than retail. Copies known are usually in the 1-10 range.

For example, here's a final fantasy prototype, 4-5 known, ended at 2k: http://www.gamegavel.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000719154

I'd love to hear everybody's takes, from non-game collectors as to desirability / potential value.

My own take is that historically as working copies prior to retail production, they are a 9/10 or better, from a historical point of view.

Aesthetically.... ugh. They are typically nasty looking, just like this final fantasy one. A grey brick with no label and writing in black marker. So aesthetically for me they are a 1/10? 0/10?

So the rarity and the history is there but they look like Rosie O'Donnell in a thong, plus for me at least some of the nostalgia connection is gone due to the poor/different aesthetics.

I'm kind of "mehhh" on them. They are cheap all things considered but I just can't get excited by something that looks so unattractive, so I find the fact they are cheap to be appropriate. Thoughts?

I think the uglier and odder looking they are, the better. I like the "prototypish" look to them. That's just me.

Namco Bandai are horrible at distributing games.

Seems digital river is the real problem (shrug)

If anyone wants to complain early in the morning here is Digital River's Number that is 24/7. They handle all online orders and shipments for most video game companies like Capcom USA.

What is cool now will be collectible in 25 years once those boys are men. Ie the incubation period of a collectible is 25 years. Paraphrasing.

It's more like the Rule of 20-30.

Some collectibles take a little ore time and some a little less.

meh

I love discovering older classics that I missed the first time around. In fact, I just got the 5th anniversary Oblivion steelcase from Futureshop for $4.99 (couldn't resist at that price) and I'm gonna give it a go this weekend, and this is after playing through Skyrim.

meh

I love discovering older classics that I missed the first time around. In fact, I just got the 5th anniversary Oblivion steelcase from Futureshop for $4.99 (couldn't resist at that price) and I'm gonna give it a go this weekend, and this is after playing through Skyrim.

If I recall correctly, I recommended Dead Space to her a couple of years ago, so I'm just busting her balls about it.

I'm always playing games for the first time years after their release, if for no other reason than not having enough time to keep up with buying and playing everything. My backlog is atrocious.

meh

If I recall correctly, I recommended Dead Space to her a couple of years ago, so I'm just busting her balls about it.

I'm always playing games for the first time years after their release, if for no other reason than not having enough time to keep up with buying and playing everything. My backlog is atrocious.

Yes,he did recommended Dead Space a few years ago lol

I didn't get at first mainly because I had other stuff to pay for (CGC grading can take it's toll on your wallet :insane: )

Plus,I downloaded it with all the DLC already in the game (I think it's cheaper that way IMO 2c )

Once I'm finish the game,I'm going to get Dead Space 2 :)