• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hate it when....

20 posts in this topic

You see a page you like, you can afford it, but you realize do I want to pay that price when other similar pages are cheaper? And you can spend that amount on something better.

You post whatever else. I just felt like chatting since I'm waiting for my boss and another coworker discuss my role in the department. #dumbos

My collection is full of pieces I bought because they became available or came to my attention when I was saving money for other pieces that I really want, and some of which I still want after years. This hobby benefits the thoughtful and measured approach, but that has never been my strength. I am trying though, I am trying.

Story of my collecting life. Lately, I've been saving for a piece or two, but other have been coming up with tighter time lines (ie auctions) so the money goes ot that and I have to start all over... not to mention, I have to sell pieces I have at a "dump" rate so I can have money to buy the others. It's a vicious cycle. Two other pieces out there I am "saving" for, but I fear they will likely be gone before I can buy them... and then that money will just go towards some other piece.

1. Start saving money for big page

2. Cheaper page that I've been looking for (and am probably the only person out there looking for that type of page) comes on the market.

3. I buy the cheaper page and drain my savings

4. Go back to step 1

Reminds me of being a boat owner.

Boat is synonym for "hole in the water that you throw money into." :)

I've heard there are 2 great day's in the life of a boat owner - the day you buy the boat and the day you sell the boat!

Reminds me of being a boat owner.

Boat is synonym for "hole in the water that you throw money into." :)

I've heard there are 2 great day's in the life of a boat owner - the day you buy the boat and the day you sell the boat!

2nd best day is when you buy it, the best day is when you sell it.

I've had a page or two that I've felt that way about too...

Be careful about "time payments" it's a clear sign that you can not "afford" financially to make a non-essential purchase, it's just a piece of paper, don't go into debt or financial turmoil over something so silly. If you do, and know your situation, that's fine, but really think long and hard before you start making a habit of buying things that are conceivably beyond your financial means.

The best thing to do is possibly trade or in part trades for art to upgrade, then you're ideally not putting up more money than you can afford, and leveraging the value of that you have which you may not want as much anymore for that proverbial upgrade (or in some cases cashing out of higher end pieces to get a diverse quantity of what you want)

Two other pieces out there I am "saving" for, but I fear they will likely be gone before I can buy them...

Time payments? (shrug)

Be careful about "time payments" it's a clear sign that you can not "afford" financially to make a non-essential purchase, it's just a piece of paper, don't go into debt or financial turmoil over something so silly. If you do, and know your situation, that's fine, but really think long and hard before you start making a habit of buying things that are conceivably beyond your financial means.

The best thing to do is possibly trade or in part trades for art to upgrade, then you're ideally not putting up more money than you can afford, and leveraging the value of that you have which you may not want as much anymore for that proverbial upgrade (or in some cases cashing out of higher end pieces to get a diverse quantity of what you want)

Two other pieces out there I am "saving" for, but I fear they will likely be gone before I can buy them...

Time payments? (shrug)

As much as I was joking in the other thread, I've passed on stuff because I'd have to do time payments.

This is a hobby for me.

I'd rather be in a state of regret than a state of debt.

Time payments? (shrug)

As much as I was joking in the other thread, I've passed on stuff because I'd have to do time payments.

This is a hobby for me.

I'd rather be in a state of regret than a state of debt.

Personally, I don't view time payments as debt, I view them as deposits (although probably non-refundable deposits). Rather than saving for a piece in the future, if the seller is willing to take time payments, he is holding a piece while I "save" for it. That said, I agree that you shouldn't go into financial turmoil over this or any other hobby.

Darren

I've got no problem with time payments either. I used it twice and I have accepted them on many occasions. Everything in moderation.

right on.

I have a page on hold that I'm making time payments on that's WELL above what I can and am able to afford. But If I didn't put it on hold and start putting money down, chances are someone else would have.

I'd rather succum to debt and have the piece on my wall eventually than be filled with regret and never have the chance to ever see the art again, let alone buy it.

I've got no problem with time payments either. I used it twice and I have accepted them on many occasions. Everything in moderation.

right on.

I have a page on hold that I'm making time payments on that's WELL above what I can and am able to afford. But If I didn't put it on hold and start putting money down, chances are someone else would have.

I'd rather succum to debt and have the piece on my wall eventually than be filled with regret and never have the chance to ever see the art again, let alone buy it.

I am in no way recommending anyone buy art on credit or go into debt...but in my collecting, my biggest regrets have been for pieces I've passed on, not pieces I've bought.

(Obviously, we should keep in mind that the market has, for the most part, gone only one way. If it hadn't, maybe I wouldn't feel the same.)

I do time payments with Burkey all the time. I think I am in my third or fourth round and think anyone who does not take advantage of time payments is missing out on getting art at the top level for their collection. I do not consider it going into debt. Rather than placing the money in an account or in my closet or whatever I am able to use it to secure a piece of art much earlier rather than waiting the 6 months or whatever and hoping the art is still around. I also am more reliable with Mike than I am with myself, so committing to the deal keeps me on course.

Now I just started time payments with a second dealer and usually don't do more than one at a time. But I sold some stuff to cover it and would have been able to cover it in any event. It is an interest free loan in some regards (yes I know not really) from my end and an easier way to move product from the dealer's end. But I recommend caution, and consider time payments nonrefundable and so should you. But done right and within budget, it is a great way to start getting pieces in 4 figures when you are a (generally) mid-high 3 figure guy like myself.

right on.

To clarify, I am not judging what is right or wrong. I am just saying what is right for me =)

I tried to do time payments once, it stressed me out so much that I just paid it off a week later.

The last time I bought something from Mike, I just asked him for a week to make sure I could get the cash together and he had no problem with that.