• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do people buy their new moderns?

19 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a place to buy new moderns as they come out, and to be able to get them before they've been pawed through by other customers at my local comics shop. How would I go about buying, for example, multiple copies of the new Superior Spiderman series with best chance at nabbing some 9.8s? Is there a reliable online source for buying new issues in new condition?

Thanks!

I'm looking for a place to buy new moderns as they come out, and to be able to get them before they've been pawed through by other customers at my local comics shop. How would I go about buying, for example, multiple copies of the new Superior Spiderman series with best chance at nabbing some 9.8s? Is there a reliable online source for buying new issues in new condition?

Thanks!

DCBservie.com is good

What is your LCS? We may frequent the same establishment.

DCB is good, but very slow if you do once a month shipping. Sometimes they wait several weeks for 1 comic to come in to complete the order. I normally get my comics from them a month after it's out, if not longer. I just received a large stack of Bedlam #1 that i preordered.

I used DCB and my LCS. Two reasons for this. I like to buy some bulk from DCB and I like to get my readers at my LCS. As others have stated DCB can take some time so if your cool with waiting go that route. I dont like to wait to read'em so I like to head down to he LCS every Wednesday to grab books. Plus I've had a box at the same LCS for over 10 years and they treat me right. I get a decent discount and I get to support a small business. Don't want to walk away from that.

I go to Flashback Comics in Woodbridge, VA! it just opened a few months ago.

Nice. I'll have to check it out. I work in D.C., so I usually stop at Fantom Comics at Union Station if I'm in that part of town on Wednesday. They are great guys and do a lot support indie and small press books without being pretentious about it. It's a small store, so they don't have much room for back issues.

If I can't make there, I wait until after work and hit up Victory Comics in Falls Church, which is alright.

Flashback's has a decent assortment of back issues, and the owner/manager is SUPER friendly. If you're looking for top-shelf high grades only, it's probably not the best place--more of a blue-collar store. However, one great thing is that they grade their mid-grade long-box stuff VERY critically when they determine sell price. Here's how it goes: Today, I asked about a the price on a a Red Sonja #1 (1977 version), and "Hank" asked me what I thought the grade was. We pulled it out of the bag to make sure all pages were present and some kid hadn't cut out a coupon 35 years ago, and I said, hmm, 6.5-7.0?" Hank pulls out the price guide and says "because it's you, I'm feeling more of a 4.0 vibe, so instead of 9 bucks for a 6.0, I'd say 6 bucks for a 4.0, and let's just call it good at an even $5."

He spent 4-5 mins to sell me a comic for $5 bucks. They truly believe in building repeat business. Plus, all new books are at a 25% discount.

Moreover, they do keep some better quality comics in the back for more discerning collectors. Usually, they'll only trot them out for folks who know what they're looking at, or if specifically asked. For example, they have a 7.0 Amazing Fantasy #15 7.0 ( restored / slabbed purple label, mostly color touch), and an Avengers #1. I actually got to hold the AF #15, haha. Too many here I'm sure that's pretty blase, but I was thrilled!

If that wasn't enough, today when I was walking out, the owner gave me a piece of pizza.

And no, I don't work there, no paid endorsement here! Just an excited middle-aged collector who's returned to the hobby for the frst time since the mid 80's (right after Secret Wars II) with some disposable income!

DCBservice.com

First time on this site. What is the difference between these two listings:

-DOCTOR WHO VOL 3 #7 $2.59

-DOCTOR WHO VOL 3 #7 10 COPY INCV (NET) $6.00

Does that mean that the second listing is for a 10 issue lot or one variant copy? Just getting back into moderns and I wanna make sure I understand the terminology. Thanks in advance.

when I first glanced I read this title as:

where do people buy their new modems?

stupid eyes!

local LCS as well as a few others nearby... midtown for stuff in previews milehigh with coupon code occasionally (deals are rare though...really rare).. mycomicshop for some random stuff

DCBservice.com

First time on this site. What is the difference between these two listings:

-DOCTOR WHO VOL 3 #7 $2.59

-DOCTOR WHO VOL 3 #7 10 COPY INCV (NET) $6.00

Does that mean that the second listing is for a 10 issue lot or one variant copy? Just getting back into moderns and I wanna make sure I understand the terminology. Thanks in advance.

THE SECOND LISTING IS DOCTOR WHO VOL 3 #7 VARIANT COVER. 1:10

I subscribe to Previews Magazine at my LCS. I flip through it from cover to cover to see if there is anything interesting and I order what I want the next time I go in. This usually means i order my comics a few months in advance and by the time they come out ive forgotten about them and am nicely surprised.

My LCS is really small, its hobby shop, mostly Magic the Gathering players (half the time i go in there are people playing) so if I didn't order something and I want it i gotta get it from MyComicShop, ebay, or travel about 45 minutes to this shop I know that orders a lot of Independent stuff.