• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you share your hobbies with your local friends?

58 posts in this topic

Hi all! I am curious as to how many of you that share your love for your collections here do so in a local sense. I have a few friends that dabble in comics still and some that find their niche in other collectibles. I am starting a facebook group with some friends where we can share all of our collections whether they are mine (mostly comics) or other things ranging from Wheaties boxes to quills. My friends and I are spread out over this area and I think it might be a fun way to bring us together.

I come to these boards multiple times a day but find that I have little to share. I do not participate here enough to feel the personal side of collecting. I buy here, occasionallly sell and manage a couple posts a month. In starting this group with my friends I hope to find more people that want to enjoy the hobby in person. With that, maybe I will find more friends to attend cons with and maybe even introduce to the CGC boards.

Hell...I might even have something relavent to post about! Thoughts?

I talk about my collection to just about everyone. :cloud9:

Same here :grin:

Not everyone gets it though. If I mention that I spent (gasp) $50 on a single book most people think I am crazy. But then there are the people who are interested. My best friend has around 150 unopened Wheaties boxes in his garage and we go back and forth about our respective collections. I may understand his a little more than he does mine but our collective natures lead to great conversations. He is happy for me when I mention I picked up something neat and I help him find Mary Lou Retton mini boxes on eBay!

Only about 3 of the people I know even realize that I collect comics.... Which means when I feel the need to yap about them my missus has to put up with it.

My girlfriend puts up with the brunt of my collecting yapping. I'm lucky she is such a good sport about it. I got her into the Walking Dead but she fell out around 50. I nag at her to read the rest so I can talk about them with her :makepoint: . She did read through the Bone compendium and her trip with me to Baltimore 2011 was highlighted by meeting Jeff Smith and having a Bone sketch with a big heart encircling her name!

share? i'm not afraid to let folks know i'm a collector. you never know if they'll direct me to a sweet collection. (hasn't happened yet, but I still hold out hope)

but no, i don't try to get anyone to read comics. i have bought some comics for a co-worker's daughter at the co-worker's request.

Kenglo ...that's the way I feel. I run in a lot of circles in my area and find that few in those groups are interested. That is why I am trying to pick my fellow collectors from each circle that might be interested in sharing. Maybe that is something you could do? If not, you can always PM me...I like to talk a lot more than my post count shows!

CG...somewhat the same response. When it comes to my LCSs there are a few different stories. My shop down the street where I get my Modern's caters specifically to a Modern crowd. They have a great selection of moderns including indies and specialize in trades beyond that. Cannot really talk collectiing with him. The other store I go to is COMICKINGS on the board (store name as well). Joey always gives me time from his busy day to talk collecting but I only get there maybe once a month.

Blob...everyone I know knows I collect. I always hope for a sweet collection to come my way. My goal is not to get people reading. I always offer but never push. I live near a couple local business and, somewhat like you, pass on good reading material to their children!

I see all of these as great reasons, if you are so inclined, to pull your local collecting friends closer. Who knows, maybe my folks will lead me to something of interest? Maybe they will mention something they can't find that I can lead them to on the boards?

And maybe we'll just end up eating pizza and talk about all the stuff we buy that nobody else gives a mess about!

I tell everyone at work.

Makes sure I always get a table to myself in those precious 10 mins when you can actually get time to eat!

After the Watchmen movie came out, I had a few colleagues ask me to borrow my copy of the TPB. That escalated into recommendations for other books to read. I ended up leaving a couple of dozen well-read TPBs in the office break out area which were quickly snapped up.

There are now about a dozen comic readers (Not collectors) in the office so most lunch breaks involve some comic related conversations.

The medium has become a lot more socially acceptable in the last few years.

I am 51, and until I recently moved and had room for a comic book room, barely anyone knew I still had my comics. Now, with friends/family coming to see the new house, it is hard to keep secret. I don't talk about it at work or with family still, though. I guess I went through years of comics being 'not cool', and everytime somone would see them or think I had them, the first thing they would say would be "Why don't you sell them?" Most people don't get it! And the first rule of the true collector is "Never sell!"

I have a couple of friends in town that are into CA & modern comics and they'll occasionally pick my brain for information or ask my opinion on grading. I've been collecting SA & BA foreign editions only for the last three years though so we don't have much common ground for discussion really. (shrug)

My friend sand myself are all sports junkies(we have a fantasy football league and go to games etc) . I basically keep my comic book, toy and star wars collecting to myself but not by choice.

No one I associate cares about comic collecting much other then some modern xmen stuff or the movies. I joined a comic book collectors local group and we met up at a convention and after had some drinks at a bar and talked comics etc . was fun but thats the rarity . The person i talk the most about comics is my 11 year old son. he collects a little and we like talking about it and watching shows like Adventure time and the regular show. and watching cartoons. That makes up for it. But when he gets older and has no time for me I will be n these boards even more.

Everyone seems to know I collect, but no one I hang out with really does. That's why I end up at the comic shop every weekend. I can see and talk to people with that interest.

I also have been in the aquarium hobby for close to 25 years, and Houston has a thriving hobby base here, particularly for a few specific groups.

I also visit theme parks. I go with my family (well, my brother and his family mostly), or I go alone. I was able to ride 36 rides in one day at Busch Gardens in VA last year.