• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WARNING: Watch out for altered Bronze-Age Price Variants in PGX holders.

98 posts in this topic

Would be good for CL to monitor this type of thing for certain.

Didn't "dekook" also have a few books on CL's exchange FOREVER, claiming they were 30 cent price variants? I didn't check in awhile, but even after he was told they weren't on these boards and was later bounced from here for spamming people's PM box, he still tried to list them on CL that way.

I can't imagine a pasted over price block is not easy enough to detect by PGX or any competent grader for that matter.

Also, wouldn't it stand out like a sore thumb under UV?

I'm not saying they are but you're assuming that PGX isn't complicit in this. We've all read the thread about CGC books being bought and grade bumped by the guy that's their head grader/doesn't work for them/has free access to their slabbing equipment haven't we?

Oh, I was not assuming PGX innocence at all.

I probably should have ended the sentence with ....

as I usually do, so that people would be encouraged to draw their own conclusions.

I can't imagine a pasted over price block is not easy enough to detect by PGX or any competent grader for that matter.

Also, wouldn't it stand out like a sore thumb under UV?

I'm not saying they are but you're assuming that PGX isn't complicit in this. We've all read the thread about CGC books being bought and grade bumped by the guy that's their head grader/doesn't work for them/has free access to their slabbing equipment haven't we?

Oh, I was not assuming PGX innocence at all.

I probably should have ended the sentence with ....

as I usually do, so that people would be encouraged to draw their own conclusions.

(thumbs u

My sense is the stabbing is a key component in the ruse... at least for the more amateur examples with the regular 35 cent price box. Otherwise it probably would feel "off" if you ran your thumb over the altered section. In a raking light you could probably see something was amiss.

Whether the stabbing company is knowingly part of the ruse is for others to decide. hm

Are you typing on an Iphone perchance? hm

doh! iPad.

lol

Its not a "longbox" scam.

I'm just saying that someone who wouldn't be in the know would probably get all giddy seeing the 35 cent price on a Star Wars 1 in a long box.

I don't even see this as something that could fool anyone in the market for a book of this caliber, but do accept some people who aren't in the market and figure they hit the lotto might get fooled.

I totally agree

My sense is the stabbing is a key component in the ruse... at least for the more amateur examples with the regular 35 cent price box. Otherwise it probably would feel "off" if you ran your thumb over the altered section. In a raking light you could probably see something was amiss.

Whether the stabbing company is knowingly part of the ruse is for others to decide. hm

doh! iPad.

lol

After the 4th time you called it "stabbing" I surmised it was either Apple auto-correct or I had missed out on some cool new street lingo the kids were using these days.

lol

As far as PGX's roll, it would be easy for CLink to check the lister against a decade's worth of public outcry. Threads, blogs, and all that's out there. Such as...

Re: Do not miss this thread: Mystery lady blows the lid off PGX?

I think the domino effect will be - and this is purely speculation - if/when eBay requires certification to sell vintage comics, and PGX is given marching orders. Only then will all hobby-focused consigment/auction companies follow suit.

Didn't "dekook" also have a few books on CL's exchange FOREVER, claiming they were 30 cent price variants? I didn't check in awhile, but even after he was told they weren't on these boards and was later bounced for spamming people's PM box, he still tried to list them on CL that way.

The CGC label was wrong on those books

doh! iPad.

lol

After the 4th time you called it "stabbing" I surmised it was either Apple auto-correct or I had missed out on some cool new street lingo the kids were using these days.

lol

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I read "stabbing" lol

I'm just saying that someone who wouldn't be in the know would probably get all giddy seeing the 35 cent price on a Star Wars 1 in a long box.

I don't even see this as something that could fool anyone in the market for a book of this caliber, but do accept some people who aren't in the market and figure they hit the lotto might get fooled.

I totally agree

You guys have a far too high estimation of the restoration detection skills of the average collector and there would also be "average" collectors shooting for this book.

I totally agree

You guys have a far too high estimation of the restoration detection skills of the average collector and there would also be "average" collectors shooting for this book.

That's possible. However, given that the desirability of this particular variant is the same as the area that's being altered, I can't imagine someone aware of the significance of the book wouldn't be staring directly at that price box. Whether they notice it at that point is probably dependent on how good the fake is or how cheap the book is priced and how eager they are to get it and run. lol

Didn't "dekook" also have a few books on CL's exchange FOREVER, claiming they were 30 cent price variants? I didn't check in awhile, but even after he was told they weren't on these boards and was later bounced for spamming people's PM box, he still tried to list them on CL that way.

The CGC label was wrong on those books

Thanks, I couldn't remember 100% for certain if they were mislabeled. But I do remember he was told countless times that they weren't, and he still stuck with the plan of trying to sell them as 30 cent price variants.

I totally agree

That's possible. However, given that the desirability of this particular variant is the same as the area that's being altered, I can't imagine someone aware of the significance of the book wouldn't be staring directly at that price box. Whether they notice it at that point is probably dependent on how good the fake is or how cheap the book is priced and how eager they are to get it and run. lol

+1

Keldog noticed this ebay transaction. I have no other information on this so I am not sure if it is related or not and I do not know how or if this transaction was resolved or not. Hopefully the buyer got a refund of $1325 plus shipping and slabbing costs, otherwise the positive feedback really stinks.

snugglebug_1_zps06458e18.png

snugglebug_2_zps12b4c203.png

It should go without saying that apart from the grade there are two critical areas to check when looking at non-CGC certified bronze-age price variants. The first is obviously the price block since this is what all the fun and frustration is about in collecting these things. The second is that there are fifty 30 cent price variants that are in the Marvel Value Stamp Series and are sometimes missing from the books.

For more information on Price Variants and Marvel Value Stamps - Click here

The series A stamps are all in issues published before the 30 centers came out. However, here are the 30 cent variant issues that have the series B MVS in them.

Amazing Spider-man 156

Amazing Spider-man 157

Avengers 147

Captain America 197

Captain America 198

Champions 5

Conan 62

Daredevil 132

Daredevil 134

Daredevil 136

Defenders 35

Defenders 37

Defenders 38

Doctor Strange 13

Fantastic Four 170

Ghost Rider 18

Howard the Duck 2

Incredible Hulk 198

Incredible Hulk 199

Incredible Hulk 200

Inhumans 6

Invaders 7

Iron Fist 4

Iron Man 86

Iron Man 87

Iron Man 88

Jungle Action 21

Ka-Zar 15

Ka-Zar 17

Marvel Premiere 29

Marvel Premiere 30

Marvel Presents 5

Marvel Spotlight 27

Marvel Team-Up 44

Marvel Team-Up 45

Marvel Two-In-One 15

Marvel Two-In-One 18

Master of Kung Fu 39

Omega 2

Omega 3

Power Man 32

Power Man 33

Son of Satan 5

Super-Villain Team-Up 5

Thor 246

Thor 248

Thor 249

Tomb of Dracula 43

Tomb of Dracula 44

Tomb of Dracula 45

Note that amongst many of the tougher books, no Kid Colts, Mighty Marvel Westerns, Rawhide Kids, Ringo Kids, Two-Gun Kids, Sgt. Fury's, Weird Wonder Tales or X-men 30 cent variants have MVSs to be cut out!

Just to let everyone know, the situation with these 2 books is being taken care of. I am certainly glad that someone noticed this, but we do wish people would contact us directly about stuff such as this so we can address it sooner. I just happened across this on the boards today.

For future reference, the ComicLink office number is 617-517-0062. My direct extension is 102 and I am reachable Monday through Friday from 9AM to about 7PM ET. If you don't get me, please leave a message and I will ring you back ASAP.

You can also reach me directly at dgillock@comiclink.com or through a PM (though admittedly I check my emails much more frequently than my PMs).

-Douglas Gillock

Consignment Director, ComicLink