• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Safest and fastest postal service? Book arrived safely. Thanks guys!!!

26 posts in this topic

I think you can do fedex international next flight and you should get it overnight, with insurance it shouldn't be too bad. Just like $900-$1200. May also incur some duties. We like fedex more for international, ups more domestic, but thats just us.

You can always just hire a real bonded courier from a reputable firm. Shouldn't be more than $5000 (someone may have to pay duties depending on the value of the comic). Overnight too. The guy picks it up, puts it in his briefcase, gets on the plane, and delivers it by hand to you.

I would recommend those two for fastest and securest.

I am slightly price sensitive. Any cheaper options?

sorry, it seemed like you valued speed and security above all else. that clarification makes a HUGE difference.

Fedex International Priority 3 days or less. Probably around $200-250 insurance included. (Duties may still apply depending on comic value).

USPS Express Mail International is $90.00 plus $15.00 USD for 5K insurance with service in 3-5 days; this is the USPS service that is handled like courier shipments so it's generally safer and well managed.

I think you have your goods will require formal entry since anything over $1,000 attracts taxes. Personally I'd probably go the FedEx route...even though the post offices cooperate to be as seamless as possible there's still a hand off between two very large organizations.

:wishluck:

FedEx sucks. Customs shreads open their parcels and they only provide a maximum coverage of $1,000. Also, if you acknowledge that customs did the damage, FedEx will wash their hands of it and simply refund you the shipping cost. Have experienced this first hand with a $5k+ book [Tec #35] shipped from Canada to the US. Do a thread search in comic general and see the horror first hand. I use to be big on FedEx but haven't used them since.

Notice how the box was opened for inspection, carved open like a whale and unfortunantely so was the book.

box4.jpg

box3.jpg

I think you can do fedex international next flight and you should get it overnight, with insurance it shouldn't be too bad. Just like $900-$1200. May also incur some duties. We like fedex more for international, ups more domestic, but thats just us.

You can always just hire a real bonded courier from a reputable firm. Shouldn't be more than $5000 (someone may have to pay duties depending on the value of the comic). Overnight too. The guy picks it up, puts it in his briefcase, gets on the plane, and delivers it by hand to you.

I would recommend those two for fastest and securest.

If you bought one of the 9.6 copies, this may work. hm

Yeah that one looks good.

Does everyone concur on FedEx?

People seem to be forgetting the fact that Fedex only covers up to $1,000 for collectibles - no matter what value you put on the package. It's a bad choice for high value comic books unless you have 3rd party insurance.

I'd do USPS Express International which allows for up to $5,000 worth of insurance. If the book is worth significantly more than that, I'd buy 3rd party insurance for that particular package and have it shipped Fedex.

UPS International. Not to be confused with USPS International. I would use UPS over FedEx any day. In fact, at work, for sensitive documents that I send to Asia, Europe, LatAm, I tell my admin to use UPS International. Never had a negative experience with them.

You will need to get the insurance coverage to be 100% safe. Fed Ex and UPS will only go to certain amounts (I think $1,000 each?), unless you pay extra.

From recent experience.. USPS express was a nightmare with the comic I purchased being stolen in the mail en route to Sydney. If you're familiar with the whirelpool forums, I can link you with other Aussies experiences with USPS. I would recommend a private courier and external insurance.

Aww jeez. So much contradictory information.

Personally I have had good experiences with USPS.

Do any Aussies know if the FedEx packages are ripped open as in Surfer's example?

I have only had one experience with a package being ripped open by customs, some humidifier gel for a humidor which admittedly did look a lot like amphetamines, and customs did not do it gently.