• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone here collect Bronze Age art???

268 posts in this topic

A Trimpe Hulk page is nothing less than cloud9.gif

I grew up on Trimpe's Hulk.

Although there have been better artists draw him later...Trimpe defined Hulk, IMO.

Killer page!

thumbsup2.gif

Nothing special? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

As I've said umpteen times, Gene Colan ranks in my top favorite artists and probably number one as the least appreciated! That page rocks as far as I'm concerned! 893applaud-thumb.gif

What I meant to say was that there's nothing (no 1 thing) that's special about that page. It's not some larger-than-life superhero kicking some evildoer's butt. It's not really that exciting to look at from a comic book perspective.

So IMO there's not one particular thing that make it neat. It's the combination of them all...

Gene "The Dean" Colan (purchased from him)

'70s horror (I love that stuff)

Splash page

Title page

HP Lovecraft story thumbsup2.gif

Look a the way the rain comes off the umbrella. Look at that white tree against the black building. If you want to see how to compose a picture with only solid black and solid white (note how little shading there is in it) then this is a great example -- just one of thousands that Gene did.

I know he gets knocked around by some, but I always loved Trimpe's Hulk. Recently added to my collection... Hulk vs. Tanks! cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

I don't care if Herb Trempe drew stick figures. I would buy them as long as the money went to him. He is by faaaaar the nicest guy you'll ever meet. I spent about 45 minutes talking to him in SD (2002) a/b stuff -- just stuff. We talked a/b airplanes, war, military, comics, oh yeah, and the Crest Cavity Creeps (he created those if you don't remember). I look forward to seeing him in the future.

He wrote an article a few years back a/b getting fired from Marvel. Talk about a screw job, "You suck. The kids don't like your stuff. Get out." He had to take a job teacking high school art and ended up selling a bunch of his comics (freebies from Marvel) to make ends meet. I wish I could find that article again.

Nothing special? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

As I've said umpteen times, Gene Colan ranks in my top favorite artists and probably number one as the least appreciated! That page rocks as far as I'm concerned! 893applaud-thumb.gif

What I meant to say was that there's nothing (no 1 thing) that's special about that page. It's not some larger-than-life superhero kicking some evildoer's butt. It's not really that exciting to look at from a comic book perspective.

So IMO there's not one particular thing that make it neat. It's the combination of them all...

Gene "The Dean" Colan (purchased from him)

'70s horror (I love that stuff)

Splash page

Title page

HP Lovecraft story thumbsup2.gif

Look a the way the rain comes off the umbrella. Look at that white tree against the black building. If you want to see how to compose a picture with only solid black and solid white (note how little shading there is in it) then this is a great example -- just one of thousands that Gene did.

THERE ya go! Sounds pretty danged special! grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

Amazing..... the Buster Crabbe and Thunda covers are two of the best ever. How the [!@#%^&^] do those two not make or rate higher (I think the BC5 cover might have been listed around #70 and the Thunda maybe not all? It's been a while) on that "top 100 covers" of all time article published a while back? IMO both of those have to make the top 10 flowerred.gif Spidey 50 my asz!!

I know he gets knocked around by some, but I always loved Trimpe's Hulk. Recently added to my collection... Hulk vs. Tanks! cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

I don't care if Herb Trempe drew stick figures. I would buy them as long as the money went to him. He is by faaaaar the nicest guy you'll ever meet. I spent about 45 minutes talking to him in SD (2002) a/b stuff -- just stuff. We talked a/b airplanes, war, military, comics, oh yeah, and the Crest Cavity Creeps (he created those if you don't remember). I look forward to seeing him in the future.

He wrote an article a few years back a/b getting fired from Marvel. Talk about a screw job, "You suck. The kids don't like your stuff. Get out." He had to take a job teacking high school art and ended up selling a bunch of his comics (freebies from Marvel) to make ends meet. I wish I could find that article again.

Trimpe is a super friendly man. I had a nice talk with him at a Big Apple Show a few years back and he did a nice Hulk sketch for me (for free). cloud9.gif

I discussed the NY Times article with him and he enjoyed talking about it as well as his teaching.

Here is the NY Times article to which you refer.

Also, here is an article about Trimpe at Ground Zero. Reading this article gave me the chills. It brought back the memory of the sights and smells. frown.gif

That's a really crazy price for a non-action, panel page. Maybe that's why it doesn't have any bids.

Its non action, but it does have the Surfer riding his board, and its a Buscema. As NR says, these things don'y pop up too often. Unlike the comic books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

LINK? confused-smiley-013.gif

Perez: Fantastic Four 167, p. 7 (Hulk v. Thing!) eBay!

Perez: Fantastic Four 167, p. 22 (Hulk in action!) eBay!

Wow! P.7 is great. That's what I call an action page!

How long ago did Perez sign P.22? That doesn't look anything like his signature now.