• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone here collect Bronze Age art???

268 posts in this topic

Am I wrong that it would be ok with uv glass and archival matting? The only light that is in my office is on maybe 2 hours a day, and it is a north facing room so it gets no direct daylight. I have heard of other collections hanging on walls. Do you really think it is a bad idea?

Any help would be appreciated!

Has no one here ever been to a museum? Of course you can display your artwork. Use UV protection glass, archival framing materials and keep it out of direct sunlight and you'll be fine.

I mean, both Heartened and Metropolis display their comic art. If it's okay for them, it's okay for me smile.gif

Thanks Rob,

That's what I thought. I'm going to enjoy my artwork.

Go to a real framing store and say "archival, please". AFter they stop counting their money, they'll put your artwork in great stuff.

Yea, there's a Frame Central about 3 miles away from me. I think i'll be going there this weekend.

None of the BINs were hit. It was a crazy 24 hours. There must have been 40+ pages of new original art listed on ebay that day. Took me hours to wade through it all. Even though Ditko covers rarely come up (i.e. never), 30K was too much for a cover in which spidey is about 2 inches tall.

None of the BINs were hit. It was a crazy 24 hours. There must have been 40+ pages of new original art listed on ebay that day. Took me hours to wade through it all. Even though Ditko covers rarely come up (i.e. never), 30K was too much for a cover in which spidey is about 2 inches tall.

Thanks for the reply. A fair point on the cover for ASM #30, although I personaly like it from an artistic point of view, Spidey himself is not exactly prominent.

Go to a real framing store and say "archival, please". AFter they stop counting their money, they'll put your artwork in great stuff.

Just got back from Frame Central. I couldn't be happier! Looks fantastic framed in black, and goes really well against the pale green walls. Now I have to get more artwork to fill up the rest of the walls.

664595-dsc_014.jpg

I need to get a better camera.

664595-dsc_014.jpg.83621db01b553793d5eacfaf45bb59ba.jpg

Just got back from Frame Central. I couldn't be happier! Looks fantastic framed in black, and goes really well against the pale green walls. Now I have to get more artwork to fill up the rest of the walls.

664595-dsc_014.jpg

I need to get a better camera.

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.giftakeit.gif

Nice work, it looks great. thumbsup2.gif

it's interesting the randomness of some of the prices. same book, same artist, but the page has a little more action and it sells for 200-300% more.

i'd love to pick up a buscema conan page or practically any savage sword page, but they seem to go over $200 a lot.

i may have to settle for something interesting later in the conan run.

i'd love to get a page from the series kayanian(sp?) did, but i don't see those pages up.

i bid on a lot of art. usually trying to pick up stuff under $100 a page, but sometimes I splurge. having picked up starlin, kirby and a few other notables lately.

When I lose I'm usually getting outbid at the end by 50 cents or a buck.

I look at the price and get annoyed, because hindsight is 50/50 and I would have paid the extra bid.

I usually put the bid I'm comfortable with in a few hours before the auction ends. I don't have time to manually snipe and I don't want to get involved in sniping programs.

Of course, there's no guarantee that bidding that extra dollar would have gotten me the item. For all I know, the winner was willing to pay $30 more than what he/she paid, but the competing bids never materialized.

So, to a certain extent, winning bids on some of these auctions are a bit deceptive. "You" couldn't have gotten the piece for that much, because "you" would have been competing with the next 1 or 2 bidders and we don't know what they max out at. This is what I tell myself when I get pissed off about getting sniped at the last minute for 50 cents or a buck. Being more daring on my bid may not have made a difference unless I just doubled or tripled what it was currently going for. And then I may wind up paying $150 for something I had planned on paying $50 for.

These thoughts apply more so, I think, for original art than for 99% of the comics out there because there's no real "price guide" value for the art (I know there's a price guide, I've never looked at it, but I think the best it can give are generalized ranges... how does one really value a "cool" action page versus a "super cool" action page? the market decides.), and these are one of a kind pieces that may never go up for resale again. for the most part, there may be another 9.6 floating around out there for most books.

Actually, it's one thing I like about bidding on art rather than comics. On a big (and not so big) comic purchase, I'll be checking my bid vs. guide and crunching numbers. For art, I don't look at a guide. I bid how much I enjoy a piece, how much do I "really" want it in my collection, etc.

blob- From reading your post I can sympathize with you. It's for your exact reasons that I switched all my bidding to a snipe program. I see an item I like, decide on a price (maybe add a little of cushion), but in the snipe and forget about it. I'll put the item on my watch list on Ebay to track it, but my snipe is set. It removes the hassle of last minute bidding and takes the emotion out of getting into a bidding war.

Coincidentally, since I've been using a snipe program I've been winning more auctions at cheaper prices. It's been a win/win. yay.gif

"Coincidentally, since I've been using a snipe program I've been winning more auctions at cheaper prices. It's been a win/win."

why, because if the other guy is bidding manually he may not jack it up high enough in time at close of auction?

usually it's something like the page is at $20, i feel i'd be willing to bid $40 and I do so 3 - 6 hours before close. then i go back to work and check the auction results that night. usually when i've made my bid maybe the "stated" high bid is at $24 and I have some cushion.

at the end of the day it's probably all for the best. i missed out on about $600 of $30-60 pages recently that i would have liked, but nothing amazing or anything.. given that i've spent about $2500 in the last month, i should be happy not to spend the extra $600. i sort of went a little nuts. i probably need to chill for a while. it's a good thing i don't win all the auctions i bid on.

I've been a bit remiss in posting in my thread here. So for my 2000th post! acclaim.gif

Here's some recent BA original art sales.

Wrightson Flash Gordon art

9a_12_sb.JPG

Detective #421 cover by Neal Adams 893whatthe.gif

Sandman #1 cover by Kirby 893whatthe.gif

57_12_sb.JPG

Tomb Of Dracula #1 pg 26 by Colan

Tomb Of Dracula #1 pg 27 by Colan

FF #173 title splash by Sal Buscema

OMAC #3 cover by Kirby

X-Men #200 title splash by Romita Jr

Howard the Duck #1 pg 22 by Brunner

Doc Savage #4 pg 24 by Andru

0222811188O.jpg

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #21 cover by Larkin

And last, but certainly not least, a SA Silver Surfer page...

SS #8 pg 3 by Buscema

SilverSurfer8_pg3.jpg

seeing that Bernie Wrightson piece made me think about the "Apparitions" portfolio i have...

mine is signed as well, but mine is numbered...#889/1000

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmm....

i also have one of these The Art of John Byrne thingys, also signed.

but i would love the original gil kane cover to X-Men 95. i'd probably have to knock over a bank or something

I've been a bit remiss in posting in my thread here. So for my 2000th post! acclaim.gif

Congrats on 2000 NR. I always like perusing this thread and since you started it - thanks! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I dig those Larkin painted covers from the 70s. Did you see the Vampire Tales Annual #1 cover that went up on ebay last year? It was out of my price range, but it must look real cool on someone's wall right now.