• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steranko at Nashville Comic Expo, who has met him?

35 posts in this topic

I had the opportunity to meet Steranko at the Cincinnati Comic Expo in 2011 as well. Super, super nice guy. I had my Hulk Annual #1 for him to sign and he asked if I'd like to hear a story about how he got to do the cover.

Of course I wanted to hear about it so he stopped signing for a bit and told everyone in line about he was hanging out at another Marvel artist's apartment late one evening when the phone rang for the cover of Hulk Annual #1. His friend had too much work on his plate already so he passed the phone to Steranko who learned that the cover was due in the morning. So Jim spent the entire night working on the cover and drove to downtown Manhattan the next morning to drop off the art. He hadn't the time to shave so he was attempting to shave in the car on his way to the Marvel offices during the morning rush. He ends up cutting himself while shaving and starts bleeding. Frantic to not get any blood on the cover that he just finished (or the fresh white shirt he has on), he digs around his car and finds some newspaper to stop the bleeding. By the time he gets to the Marvel offices he is running late so he just parks at the curb and runs up to the offices.

By this time his white shirt is now bloodstained and he has been up all night. Bloody and tired he hands over the cover to whomever it went to and when asked "What happened to you?" his reply was "Don't let anyone ever say I didn't bleed for this company".

It was a pleasure to meet him and hear his stories. I wouldn't hesitate to go out of my way to meet him again.

One thing to keep in mind, don't take any pictures of him. Apparently he has a condition with his eyes, that he received from boxing, that becomes an issue with flash photography so he asked that everyone refrain from taking pictures.

This could get interesting.

Perhaps Tupenny can arrange some eye-candy barhopping with Sterenko Saturday night, Nashville?

Get some maidens SS'd in person.

:wishluck:

Steranko is an amazing guy. He's one of a kind. Don't miss a chance to meet him. It will make your day!

- Lee

+1 by far my favorite guy to have met at my first (and only) comic convention.

I met him years ago in either Baltimore or Motor City and got some of his X Men books signed. He was nice enough and had an appreciation for the books I had. It was well before CGC but sigs were bringing more for books so he wanted to be sure he made the signature out to my name. I think he did one with my name and one or two with just his signature though.

He is always at his own table at NYCC and while I have never had anything personally signed by him, I have chatted with him while one of my friends got a signature. He was a nice guy.

This year, after engaging him in conversation, I actually picked this up in a CLink auction as I felt compelled to own a signed piece by him.

My friend calls him the "Rockstar" of comics...

He is a decent guy to meet and full of interesting stories if you talk to him.

RADDBB342012112_141928.jpg

Steranko is someone which in italian you’d define "un Signore", which means knowledgeable, serious, humorous, a rock-star and a dandy.

Not to mention the most psychedelic Marvel contributor on earth (not mentioning all his other work).

I have met him in Prato in 1992, I have got a Strange Tales #168 signed by him. :)

I met him at a con in Greensboro, NC about 23 years ago. It was a smaller, more intimate con, which gave me the chance to talk to him at length. Instead of talking about comics, we discussed our mutual admiration for the works of Orson Welles. He was a hoot. A truly interesting person.

I met Jim by selling him some pulps on Ebay (he has an incredible pulp collection.) So then introduced myself to him at a con. Funny story, he had purchased some pulps from, so I emailed and said, "Jim, instead of sending payment, maybe you could do a b&w sketch of the Hulk Annual #1 cover for me?" That did not happen!

I met him at a couple of Boston cons, first time was in '76 when I was very young...I had no idea who he was but people were getting autographs so I got one. Couldn't read it, so I still had no idea! I had figured it out by the second time though...Nice guy, great booth babes.