• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC Fanatic Appreciation Weird Thread of Terror

346 posts in this topic

Awesome cheetah! I have a full run of TFTC but no GFC, alas.

I've noticed in the past the ONE book I could supply you with on your want list is TFTC #37. It's probably in my top 3 favorite books and a really glossy NM, but because it's in those top 3 -- I just can't part with it. :)

37 is one of the last 6 I'm missing too. It's a pretty random issue to be hard-to-find, but I can't remember seeing a HG copy at auction within the last couple of years.

Only 7 of my TFTC run are Gaines. With all the Gaines that have been at market in the last 4 years, Tales has been the least available. Congratulations, Cheetah, you've got a spectacular set! Now, finish that run so I don't have to try to keep competing with you on the books! I know when you really want it, you beat me every time.

Here's my copy of TFTC #37, please forgive the pic quality. You can see its flaws, a small staple tear by the last r of terror on the spine (seems like an issue with the fold, it's not from reading wear) and a printer's crease through the guy in the lower right.

A shame about the staple tear, but I love it all the same -- it's otherwise cherry. When I first pulled it from a box I was going through of Ed's, I had to have it -- the red is really striking. :)

1080.jpg

I could not find a thread dedicated to EC appreciation, so starting my own. Here and there, I read threads with interesting trivia or great discoveries of rare versions etc, but the info is buried and hard to get at without hours of surfing. My hope is this thread will aggregate the many stories of collectors, images of popular or forgotten covers, discuss pedigree, share market knowledge, or just plain enjoy chat with other EC fanatics about a brief and infamous genre of comics.

So... I got into GA because of EC's. I remember going into a comic shop in the early 80's and seeing a Tales from the Crypt 20 and 21 up on the wall. They were around $150+ each, which was beyond my budget at the time. I was enthralled by the covers, but did not get to read them. Fortunately they had a Crime Suspenstories box set. I had helped the owner bag books several weekends in a row, so he let me read a few volumes since the box set was opened. It was maybe a year later that I ended up buying the set, but not before I was able to locate a few beater copies, one of which was Weird Fantasy 18. From that time on I have always considered ECs as my favorite genre, although I generally collect a wide range of books.

My most current purchase is a real nice copy of Haunt of Fear 15 (1) 1950. She is housed in a blue label cgc @ a modest 6.5 grade. The colors (including white) are very bright on the front and back cover. Had I known how nice it looked in person, I would not have waited so long to pull the trigger. Of course I suffer from the collector bug, so was on the fence for some other EC keys, however HoF won the coin toss ^^ I also had missed out on the copy sold @Comic Connect last year, so felt like this was second chance at this tough book.

8435954743_3ed2783c95_c.jpg

Haunt of Fear 15 (1) by foxtrot70, on Flickr

Your HOF 1 is so nice -- will get a similar copy one day! :)

I just got offered a Vault Of Horror #12.

First copy I've ever had in my hands, and I don't think I'll be able to raise the cash. Kinda hurts, but still SO cool to see one.

So here's the fall-out.

The book in question was a nice 5 or 6, and the dealer had it in the box to be sent to CGC, when a partner of his decided he needed to own it. Turns out this partner had an undercopy, and now I own the undercopy!

I'll post a pic when I can. I'm just really pumped for this one! I don't even mind that I got ZERO discount on it. I kinda thought I was off E.C.s, having sold a ton of my non-focus titles, but I am rekindled!

I wonder what a Gaines Frontline Combat 7 or 10 would go...? hm

Jack Davis, the master.

TFT_41_zps3c7d7f59.jpg

You know, because of Davis's later humorous stuff for Mad and his -- mostly humorous -- commercial work I have a hard time taking his EC covers seriously. But I really love this one ... and it is kinda comic. :D

I wonder what a Gaines Frontline Combat 7 or 10 would go...? hm

One of my favorites...

frontlinecombat7.jpg

Kurtzman war is as good as comic books get.

:cloud9:

At first it looks so simple, yet it portrays so much.

Richard, what kind of scanner do you use?

A Microtek somesuch something or other (Scanwizard 5?)

Do you know the model or is it proprietary?

I'm just a dork when it comes to highly technical stuff...like looking on the darn thing and seeing the model number.

It's a Microtek Scanmaker i800.