• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for those investing in modern comics.

112 posts in this topic

Guys I’m interested in your opinions on how long you stick with a title if you’re going in for investment purposes only. Since most of the modern investors are purchasing IMAGE titles with low print runs how deep in the run are you purchasing? Do most of you keep purchasing issue after issue or do you stop after issue #3 or maybe #5? Remember I’m talking about for investment/flipping only. I completely understand that most people purchase what they like to read.

Guys I’m interested in your opinions on how long you stick with a title if you’re going in for investment purposes only. Since most of the modern investors are purchasing IMAGE titles with low print runs how deep in the run are you purchasing? Do most of you keep purchasing issue after issue or do you stop after issue #3 or maybe #5? Remember I’m talking about for investment/flipping only. I completely understand that most people purchase what they like to read.

I would stop after the first story arc, personally. But based on the fact that you are even asking this question to begin with, I would not recommend investing in modern comic books. You're too late to the party, and very likely to get burned.

Buy multiples. Buy 20, keep 3, sell 17 or there abouts. Depends what you can flip in a short time.

Sell them within 7 days after release or else. Want examples?

Star wars #1 Dark horse

Spiderman 700 variants

Superior spiderman #1 variants

My little pony friendship is magic

Avening spiderman 15.1

dardevil 21

etc etc

My brief THREE RULES on this exhaustive topic (hint, hint)...

(1) Buy enough of what you like to sell so you can build your personal collection for little to no cost.

(2) If you are in this as a get rich quick scheme, you are in the wrong business

(3) See rule #1 and #2.

That is all.

R

I mainly just buy what I want to read. Luckily I wanted to read Peter Panzerfaust, Thief of Thieves, Saga (sagah) fatale etc and for some reason I bought 2 of each. Quite a casual seller for now as not got loads of surplus cash but the odd ones I sell pays for my comics which pleases me.

I will continue collecting all sets for now. 1 is for me and some I will sell.

In fairness you never know what issue could go crazy. Look at walking dead 19, 27, 92.

(1) Buy enough of what you like to sell so you can build your personal collection for little to no cost.

(2) If you are in this as a get rich quick scheme, you are in the wrong business

(3) See rule #1 and #2.

That is all.

R

+1 (thumbs u

I would stop after the first story arc, personally. But based on the fact that you are even asking this question to begin with, I would not recommend investing in modern comic books. You're too late to the party, and very likely to get burned.

I'm not late to the party since I have multiples(#1's) of Peter Panzer, SAGA, Revival, and Thief of Thieves. The only thing I was late for was the Walking Dead but that has been my main focus for the last 8 months. When it comes to investing only I'm stopping after issue #5. I'm just curious what the rest of you guys are doing.

I'm not late to the party since I have multiples(#1's) of Peter Panzer, SAGA, Revival, and Thief of Thieves. The only thing I was late for was the Walking Dead but that has been my main focus for the last 8 months. When it comes to investing only I'm stopping after issue #5. I'm just curious what the rest of you guys are doing.

(thumbs u

I, personally, am not investing in comics. Been there/done that in the 80s. I know how this story ends. ;)

I am just buying 1 copy each of what I plan on reading.

If you're a small time investor, like me, buy 3-5 copies, flip a set or two to cover your costs on your entire "investment" and then it doesn't matter what the books do going forward because you are playing with house money by that point.

Alternatively, buy one set and if it gets hot sell it off and buy the TPB if you would like to read the story again.

Resist the temptation to buy the latest hot book for $25 in hopes of selling it to the greater fool for $50. It may work, but then again it may not and you will be out money. If you want to read the story, buy the TPB and not the $45 #1 issue that you'll then be afraid to take out of the bag.

I guess for me the philosophy is make a little maybe, but definitely don't lose a lot.

(3) See rule #1 and #2.

That is all.

R

(thumbs u

I'll trade you my lunchables for your Peter Panzerfaust #1

:)

Buy multiples. Buy 20, keep 3, sell 17 or there abouts. Depends what you can flip in a short time.

Star wars #1 Dark horse

Spiderman 700 variants

Avening spiderman 15.1

dardevil 21

etc etc

+1 So True..look at all those ASM #700 variants (excluding Ditko & Quesada) that be purchased at cover.

Star wars #1 Dark horse

Spiderman 700 variants

Avening spiderman 15.1

dardevil 21

etc etc

+1 So True..look at all those ASM #700 variants (excluding Ditko & Quesada) that be purchased at cover.

I'm stupefied people didn't see this coming with the ASM 700's. Kind of concerning.