• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for those investing in modern comics.

112 posts in this topic

Ive been picking up comics I enjoy reading - so I have a "few" extra copies of bedlam and Todd laying around.... you did well with PF, TOT, MP, etc. Id sell some of those while they are hot...

I wonder what is going to happen to the price of Chew #1 since it's no longer being made into a series...

Why are all these threads popping up? These "new investors" are too lazy to do their own leg work and want their hands held on what to buy or how much to buy. Just take your money else where and don't gamble on things you don't know about. 2c

Why are all these threads popping up? These "new investors" are too lazy to do their own leg work and want their hands held on what to buy or how much to buy. Just take your money else where and don't gamble on things you don't know about. 2c

Atleast he went about it the correct way. He didnt say "hay what comics can i buy to sell for 5 times cover." I flipped out on the newbie that did that yesterday.

Instead he asked how long we hold onto comics which is a valid question

Why are all these threads popping up? These "new investors" are too lazy to do their own leg work and want their hands held on what to buy or how much to buy. Just take your money else where and don't gamble on things you don't know about.

Sir come on I'm not a new investor or a lazy investor. I said where I stop buying in a particular run. I'm just curious what other investors are doing. I'm also pretty sure that other people that read this board would also be interested. Guys we are supposed to be a community that gives advice, opinions, etc on the comic book world. Why some of you get upset or become rude makes no sense.

Why are all these threads popping up? These "new investors" are too lazy to do their own leg work and want their hands held on what to buy or how much to buy. Just take your money else where and don't gamble on things you don't know about.

Sir come on I'm not a new investor or a lazy investor. I said where I stop buying in a particular run. I'm just curious what other investors are doing. I'm also pretty sure that other people that read this board would also be interested. Guys we are supposed to be a community that gives advice, opinions, etc on the comic book world. Why some of you get upset or become rude makes no sense.

+1

Well said

I don't know about "new investors", maybe "new members" but regardless of the title, I guess the bigger question is did the "new members" join because they are collectors with the occasional flip or because they are just looking for flipping information. If it wasn't for these boards, I would've skipped Revival but because of all the members on here, I broke down and purchased the entire series and as long as it's in print I'm buying.

I've heard it time and time again on these boards and not every book will be the next Walking Dead. Could it happen? Yes, anything is possible.

To all new members, if you're looking for flipping or "investment" information here, it's too late. Most books have to be flipped quick and you got to do your homework. By the time it's posted here and unless you have that modern in hand, you have to either run out to your LCS or mail order and by that time you've missed it. Don't get me wrong there's lots of great information here contributed by so many but you gotta put in the hours and do the work if you're in it for flipping.

I, personally, am not investing in comics. Been there/done that in the 80s. I know how this story ends. ;)

I'll do a little investing. I know how the middle chapters go, as well as the end. :grin:

To answer the original question, I'd stick with a title as long as you think the story is holding out. If you pay attention to trends and read the book, you should have a solid idea of when to stop buying a particular title.

I would stop after the first story arc, personally. But based on the fact that you are even asking this question to begin with, I would not recommend investing in modern comic books. You're too late to the party, and very likely to get burned.

I'm not late to the party since I have multiples(#1's) of Peter Panzer, SAGA, Revival, and Thief of Thieves. The only thing I was late for was the Walking Dead but that has been my main focus for the last 8 months. When it comes to investing only I'm stopping after issue #5. I'm just curious what the rest of you guys are doing.

No Nowhere Men #1?

This is just plain rude and completely unnecessary. If you don't like repeated questions or threads, then you have a choice to ignore it. But I suggest, if you can't do this, then take your own advice and take your caustic nature elsewhere.

No Nowhere Men #1?

I have 10. I pretty much have been purchasing 10 of every IMAGE #1 from my LCS, except mini-series since this past summer. I skip some titles if they don't look good(I LOVE TROUBLE).

To answer the original question, I'd stick with a title as long as you think the story is holding out. If you pay attention to trends and read the book, you should have a solid idea of when to stop buying a particular title.

This topic has brought up something in me that I think now is the time to talk about it. Similar to the topic. I do not want this to turn into another WD thread, but need to know thoughts. This has been talked about before I am sure, but I don't know where to look.....so here I go. Will all early key WD books hold there value after the hype and show are gone? For instance, ASM #1 is a 4-5 figure book graded. Will the same apply to WD #1 say in 30+ yrs? Along with key issues of the same series? I buy that book only because I love the story so much. I buy Silver Age and some coppers because they "hold" value and seem to go up in value over time. So the word in the topic of what the OP said was "investment".....So what do you think?

I think just #1, based on titles like cerebus, sandman, etc.

See I'm very new to collecting books and I already see where things could "go". I'm glad you replied you seem knowledgeable. I need some insight from guys/gals who have done this long before me. I'm also new to the statement about what you said "cerebrus, sandman, etc., see IDK what that means. So just number #1 huh? Is the WD like a hot commodity on the stock market? Know when to sell, sell, sell, sell......??

I think books like ASM or Superman or Batman hold value because the characters are continually on the reader's radar. Right now, WD is huge because comic fans and TV fans are both interested in the series.

At some point, the show will end. And at some later point, the comic series will end. I think once that happens, eventually the value will cool considerably. Sure, the first issue will hold some value, but not at the premium they are now.

I think the same can be said for pretty much all new comics. Look at Chew. The series is finite. They have the ending in mind already. Once that happens, prices will eventually cool.

I would stop after the first story arc, personally. But based on the fact that you are even asking this question to begin with, I would not recommend investing in modern comic books. You're too late to the party, and very likely to get burned.

I'm not late to the party since I have multiples(#1's) of Peter Panzer, SAGA, Revival, and Thief of Thieves. The only thing I was late for was the Walking Dead but that has been my main focus for the last 8 months. When it comes to investing only I'm stopping after issue #5. I'm just curious what the rest of you guys are doing.

Who's burned now?