• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for those investing in modern comics.

112 posts in this topic

Silver Age 1st appearances/key books are the safe investment. If you bought Hulk #1's before the Avengers movie you're a real happy camper right now. Plus, that investment was a safe bet with little to no risk. SA 1st appearances/keys are safer investments, less work to sell quantity wise, but of course the buy in rate is much larger.

As for moderns, if you go "all in" and buy multiplies of each comic you really need to get your books at a discount from the start, otherwise it's really risky. Sites like dcb or even striking a deal with your LCS to get them cheaper is the way to go. Otherwise, a $3.99 cover price comic needs to increase to at least $10 to make a profit selling on eBay because of shipping and eBay fees.

Or you can just lurk here and bleeding cool to see whats hot and then search your LCS for those titles. This is only a good strategy for people with multiple shops near them.

As for how long to keep buying for investment? Not long. Collectors pay top dollar for 1st apparances and #1's. After that it drops. Sixth Gun is smoking hot right now, but I wouldn't be buying the latest issues (26, 27, 28) at $3.99 a pop at the LCS for investment purposes. I'd only buy them if you're enjoying the story. 2c

Silver Age 1st appearances/key books are the safe investment. If you bought Hulk #1's before the Avengers movie you're a real happy camper right now. Plus, that investment was a safe bet with little to no risk. SA 1st appearances/keys are safer investments, less work to sell quantity wise, but of course the buy in rate is much larger.

As for moderns, if you go "all in" and buy multiplies of each comic you really need to get your books at a discount from the start, otherwise it's really risky. Sites like dcb or even striking a deal with your LCS to get them cheaper is the way to go. Otherwise, a $3.99 cover price comic needs to increase to at least $10 to make a profit selling on eBay because of shipping and eBay fees.

Or you can just lurk here and bleeding cool to see whats hot and then search your LCS for those titles. This is only a good strategy for people with multiple shops near them.

As for how long to keep buying for investment? Not long. Collectors pay top dollar for 1st apparances and #1's. After that it drops. Sixth Gun is smoking hot right now, but I wouldn't be buying the latest issues (26, 27, 28) at $3.99 a pop at the LCS for investment purposes. I'd only buy them if you're enjoying the story. 2c

Well said .i would have to agree.

I see.... hm ..... WD #1 right now in the Overstreet Guide 2012 42nd edition has it listed NM- for $250. Zap Kapow! has it listed for $1000. So what your saying is that after all the hype and show goes away, those prices drop? Where as a key SA book will only go up in value? Is that what will happen? Can the price go down on those books? I know a "key" anything on eBay pulls a higher price, but a lot of LCS and collectors swear by that book and won't pay a penny more.

I see.... hm ..... WD #1 right now in the Overstreet Guide 2012 42nd edition has it listed NM- for $250. Zap Kapow! has it listed for $1000. So what your saying is that after all the hype and show goes away, those prices drop? Where as a key SA book will only go up in value? Is that what will happen? Can the price go down on those books? I know a "key" anything on eBay pulls a higher price, but a lot of LCS and collectors swear by that book and won't pay a penny more.

Let me consult my crystal ball.

Seriously...if we could tell you definitively what the future would hold, that would be something. EVERYTHING has both upside and downside. Make your own decisions based on how you personally evaluate these factors.

Anyone that is good at playing the game will not give all of their tips and tricks away. If you buy in big on whatever they are already speculating on, you just further flood the market as their competition. Why would anyone sign up for that?

I think books like ASM or Superman or Batman hold value because the characters are continually on the reader's radar. Right now, WD is huge because comic fans and TV fans are both interested in the series.

At some point, the show will end. And at some later point, the comic series will end. I think once that happens, eventually the value will cool considerably. Sure, the first issue will hold some value, but not at the premium they are now.

I think the same can be said for pretty much all new comics. Look at Chew. The series is finite. They have the ending in mind already. Once that happens, prices will eventually cool.

well said (thumbs u

I think just #1, based on titles like cerebus, sandman, etc.

See I'm very new to collecting books and I already see where things could "go". I'm glad you replied you seem knowledgeable. I need some insight from guys/gals who have done this long before me. I'm also new to the statement about what you said "cerebrus, sandman, etc., see IDK what that means. So just number #1 huh? Is the WD like a hot commodity on the stock market? Know when to sell, sell, sell, sell......??

So, as an example, Cerebus and Sandman were both quality books that became hot, with issues into the 20s commanding high (at the time) prices. Both series eventually ended as their creators planned them to, and while full runs of those books can now be had for very little compared to what they used to go for, the first issues have retained most of the value they held. I would say Cerebus #1 has probably increased even. The same can be said for other similar books like Preacher, Grendel, and a host of others where there were no new stories created.

I can envision the exact same thing happening with books like Walking Dead and Saga. At least that's what my crystal ball says...

As for long term investing, I personally never would never do that for moderns. Any serious money I have spent in this hobby has been on sure-fire stuff like OA and blue chip GA books.

OA is sure fire? hm