• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absolutes, Omnibuses, Oversize, Special Editions discussion thread

374 posts in this topic

Okay here is my copy of Hush

Do you bag all your HCs? Now I think I should...

lol I bag everything.

If you don't mind, can you tell me which size you use for the Omnibus books. I have several DC Omni HCs that don't fit into anything I currently have on hand. I still have them sealed as I want to bag them before opening the package. They are the Jack Kirby omnis.

Thanks

Balham, nice collection you're sporting. Is The Invisibles really good?

Depends if you like Grant Morrison's stuff (I do). He's said in the past it's his favourite thing that he's written. It's quite a heavy plot, and it meanders a fair bit, but it's pretty rewarding if you stick with it. If you're not a fan of his I would stay away though - this series isn't going to change your mind!

Good stuff. I've been thinking recently that it's time to just stop buying floppies (apart from a couple of series) and stick to TPBs/special editions like these. So much more low maintenance, for one thing!

By the way, are your WD omnibuses still sealed? If not, I'd be keen to see some pics added to the thread if you have the time...

The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection

Published: December 2000

Print Status: Out of Print

Retail Price: $75 (aftermarket ~$150)

Pages: 376 pages

Product Dimensions: 11 x 7 x 1.5 inches

Collects: Green Lantern/Green Arrow issues 76 to 79 87 and 89 along with the GL/GA stories in Flash 217-219

Extras: Cover Gallery from reprints, Forward by Denny O'neil

Front of the book:

9p9yIGY.jpg

Slipcase & Spine Design: Interesting design in that one "front" of the slipcase if Ollie, and the other "front" is Hal Jordan.

Rj2HBpK.jpg

Cover Design: A great Neal Adams design

TrnDLfp.jpg

Under that Dustjacket: Im always interested to see if there is any fun die stamping. I like the icon created for the tome here.

Example internal page

7yUZvmy.jpg

Mkkuez6.jpg

The page quality here is not stellar. Thicker stock than in a trade, but not glossy high quality pages either. Leaves the art looking a little dulled color wise. There's also the matter of blank pages between issues, and some resizing problems in some places.

Binding:

cijPx7n.jpg

At under 400 pages they still (thankfully) did a sewn binding. Book lies flat nicely for reading.

Extras:

ABbbriu.jpg

eLXXh95.jpg

Not much in the way of extras outside of reprinting the covers that were "reimagined" by Neal in the 80s when they rereleased the seminal run in prestige format. There IS a nice read by Denny O'Neil as an introduction that goes beyond just the quick intro we usually see and provides some creative insights.

Whats not there? I'd LOVE to have them reprint the letters page from this era. With GL/GA firmly entrenched in the youth culture (sometimes pro, sometimes con) I would be very interested to see the feedback, especially since this was a very different direction compared to Green Lanterns first 75 issues (and its occasional cancelation or relegation to Flash backups).

Summary: Right now this is the "best" version of one of DCs most iconic arcs in its whole history. If any book deserves Absolute treatment it is this one. I dont understand why we have Identity Crisis, Dark Victory and any number of other non-iconic stories getting the "top shelf" treatment, while GL/GA is left with an 13 year old, out of print collection that doesnt stand up to any of todays production values. Im thankful this book exists, and glad they were smart enough to include the Flash backups, but an Absolute is an absolute must from DC at some point in the future.

oh and just to show off...

9T1LABW.jpg