• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uber from Avatar

1,083 posts in this topic

The faux outrage over uber's variants reminds me of the faux outrage on Foxnews lol

Some people just gotta be butthurt about something...

Hey ZaCrew! I know you weren't directing that to me in particular but I wanted to explain my point of view.

I'm not sure about others but I personally collect for two reasons. 1) I like comic collecting (completionist at heart) & 2) I like supporting creators. When I buy a comic I buy it for my personal collection and never read them. I pirate the digital versions and read those. Deep down I always do hope my physical comics rise in value or at the least don't drop (obviously). Each new "collectors item" that is released lowers the value of my existing comics because they create an additional supply.

I'm not that upset because I don't have that much invested in this series but it's difficult collecting a comic when it has the possibly to be worthless one day. 2c

The faux outrage over uber's variants reminds me of the faux outrage on Foxnews lol

Hey ZaCrew! I know you weren't directing that to me in particular but I wanted to explain my point of view.

I'm not sure about others but I personally collect for two reasons. 1) I like comic collecting (completionist at heart) & 2) I like supporting creators. When I buy a comic I buy it for my personal collection and never read them. I pirate the digital versions and read those. Deep down I always do hope my physical comics rise in value or at the least don't drop (obviously). Each new "collectors item" that is released lowers the value of my existing comics because they create an additional supply.

I'm not that upset because I don't have that much invested in this series but it's difficult collecting a comic when it has the possibly to be worthless one day. 2c

I can appreciate that. I didn't load up on Uber but I have a few(under 10 of the 0 sketch).

What people don't realize is how much this forum really is an influence on the market as a whole. Had people not kept bemoaning the amount of covers I can assure you the comic would be doing much better than it is currently. The story is quite good and it's pre-written to 11 I believe (won't suffer the same problems as NWM currently)

If people looked past the amount of covers, this book will be strong in story and price in the future. If they keep berating the point that they are upset about multiple covers, the masses in the collecting/speculating world will stay away and overall hurt the book.

That being said, I am not saying for people to break out their pom-poms and cheerlead the book. But to incessantly trash it because of a cover is really puerile in my opinion, also the hyperbole of saying it had 20 covers looks sophomoric as well.

Now that I think about it a bit more, Image is on their 5 print of NMW 1 and no one complains. For some reason there is a different mentality when issues are released as a separate print (2nd,3rd, & so on) vs whatever Avatar is doing.

hm my brain hurts. I need to think less.

I can appreciate that. I didn't load up on Uber but I have a few(under 10 of the 0 sketch).

What people don't realize is how much this forum really is an influence on the market as a whole. Had people not kept bemoaning the amount of covers I can assure you the comic would be doing much better than it is currently. The story is quite good and it's pre-written to 11 I believe (won't suffer the same problems as NWM currently)

If people looked past the amount of covers, this book will be strong in story and price in the future. If they keep berating the point that they are upset about multiple covers, the masses in the collecting/speculating world will stay away and overall hurt the book.

That being said, I am not saying for people to break out their pom-poms and cheerlead the book. But to incessantly trash it because of a cover is really puerile in my opinion, also the hyperbole of saying it had 20 covers looks sophomoric as well.

You have a very good post here. I think this doesn't just apply to uber but in a lot of titles on the boards here. There is so much negativity floating around that lurkers and buyers who read some of this shy away or get second thoughts about a certain book based on what they read here. Maybe its the summer heat, con season, burnout or stress, but maybe a positive concerted effort can change it. Also since its the net its easy to post "this is drek" or "I hated this or that" without the explanations to why a collector likes or dislikes.

Good points Za! If it keeps reading good I'm sure people will feel comfortable in picking up more variants. I'm think most collectors were just a little blown away by it all. Maybe if Avatar released variants at a slower rate then people would buy in to them but they need to see the story prove itself. As of now I'm currently holding on to all of my uber comics (which is just 2 four sets of each issue and 2-3 variants) to see where things go with the story. If it keeps peaking my interests then I can see myself buying into more. I'll just have to wait and see.

Good points Za! If it keeps reading good I'm sure people will feel comfortable in picking up more variants. I'm think most collectors were just a little blown away by it all. Maybe if Avatar released variants at a slower rate then people would buy in to them but they need to see the story prove itself. As of now I'm currently holding on to all of my uber comics (which is just 2 four sets of each issue and 2-3 variants) to see where things go with the story. If it keeps peaking my interests then I can see myself buying into more. I'll just have to wait and see.

Also, if you look at the print numbers across all variants, it's not really that high for a book with a good story.

For real? Don't get me wrong, I like this book, it's a good read. I enjoyed chatting with the creators at Phoenix Comicon and I think the book has potential. I would like to see the book in print for many years to come, but the book has to do that on its own merits. If people don't like the variant covers they should speak their minds. If you don't like that, then tough, you can't expect to silence people about their displeasure with variants for fear that it is hurting the secondary market. Comic collectors are a shrewd bunch, they are not going to avoid reading a good book because guys on the cgc boards bemoaned the variant covers. I don't know many that are still up in the air when it comes to variant covers, most either like them or hate them and the market has figured out how to absorb variant covers for a long time. The people that might be scared off by negative talk would be flippers and speculators. It will be good for the long term health of the hobby if there are fewer books selling for $20 the weekend after release and more books building a long term collector base. If you buy and sell comics with the long view, you should not be discouraged with the market right now, patience and shrewd dealing will pay off down the road.

What people don't realize is how much this forum really is an influence on the market as a whole. Had people not kept bemoaning the amount of covers I can assure you the comic would be doing much better than it is currently.

Sure - because EVERYONE reads this forum before buying a comic doh!

The story is quite good and it's pre-written to 11 I believe (won't suffer the same problems as NWM currently)

Yeah - I know. I posted that.

So - you are really, honestly believing that complaining about variants will weaken the story? "pre-written to #11" remember?

The speculators are long gone.

It may look like that. Sadly it also happens to be fact

This isn't a modern collectors forum - $ is king here.

Uber is a great book - I enjoy it, but you are bashing the wrong people.

You should probably PM Mark Seifert, who has been conspicuous by his absence since the "no more variants after the Enhanced #0" bullcrud.

You get angry about this book quite often, so I think you are in a whole lot deeper than 10 copies (which makes you a speculator as well :roflmao: )

Adios!

Mark was an active member. He was mostly on the older threads, but he came in here sometimes and responded to PMs right away. Since #0 enhanced will be the last printing of #0 so buy up announcement he has been MIA.

Collector POV. Saying #0 enhanced will be the last printing of #0 limited to 7500 made me think okay I have four already what is one more that will have a dozen more pages of research. Before that was even released they had an announcement that more variants will be coming. And #1 variants came out before #1 even came out.

Speculator POV. And a little collector too. They have a character first appearance on an issue that doesn't even feature the character!!! They made some limited cover and wrote first appearance on the cover to sell more.

I've been trying to dump NM+ sets of #1 for $20 and have not had any interest in them.

For real? Don't get me wrong, I like this book, it's a good read. I enjoyed chatting with the creators at Phoenix Comicon and I think the book has potential. I would like to see the book in print for many years to come, but the book has to do that on its own merits. If people don't like the variant covers they should speak their minds. If you don't like that, then tough, you can't expect to silence people about their displeasure with variants for fear that it is hurting the secondary market. Comic collectors are a shrewd bunch, they are not going to avoid reading a good book because guys on the cgc boards bemoaned the variant covers. I don't know many that are still up in the air when it comes to variant covers, most either like them or hate them and the market has figured out how to absorb variant covers for a long time. The people that might be scared off by negative talk would be flippers and speculators. It will be good for the long term health of the hobby if there are fewer books selling for $20 the weekend after release and more books building a long term collector base. If you buy and sell comics with the long view, you should not be discouraged with the market right now, patience and shrewd dealing will pay off down the road.

Pure ^^

Glad I brought this thread back from page four. I think (and what many have said) is that there are SOOOOO many titles out right now that it create a saturated market and it's tough to focus on everything. A new and great title only needs to have a hiccup in the delivery schedule before people jump ship and move on to the next great thing. As I said last night, I don't have a lot of Uber (maybe 5-7 copies total - 0-2), but I think the premise, story, and art are very cool. Makes me wanna play Wolfenstein :whee:

Wolfenstein-3D.jpg

It's interesting how the main topic of conversation in book specific thread in jan-mar was basically "this book ABC can't lose". Now, all the book specific threads seem to be filled with all sorts of different rationalizations, etc., on why things are better than they seem, book DEF will come back soon, etc.

The fact is, there was a huge speculator run up at the beginning of the year, with people flipping to other people looking to also flip.

That bubble (not the market as a whole, which is a bigger monster altogether) has burst, many books have been overprinted, and there is no demand because the demand was from speculators, who are now either being more cautious, have spent all their money, or have moved on (sports card guys).

The easy money has been made, everything is being over printed, whether there is 1 variant or a million, regardless of how quality a book is, none of it is going to matter in the short term. Supply exceeds demand, and only lower supply, or more demand, will change the current trend.

Yes there are seasonal aspects to the comics market :blahblah: , but what's going on is bigger than that. TV and Movie rumors will still drive books up whenever they land. But buying multiples of every book for quick flipping got too crowded and the profit disappeared. It really is that simple.

Brand new books should always sell for cover, unless there is a reason otherwise. The crazy prices some books have seen so quickly after launch are completely unsustainable. I think deep down, people know this. Same goes for slabs, any book that is basically brand new and selling for $100 or more in 9.8 is crazy, and there better be a darn good reason to justify paying that much for it.

CBT makes an appearance .... ^^

it's going to be a slow summer for me, gone almost all of July to the UK. Will have to find some comic shops there to explore. :grin:

Buy some compendium editions (still reading Echo... that would be a good one to start).

Yo Ryan. This comic does actually remind me a lot of Wolfenstein! That occurred to me the first time I read issue 0. I haven't played the original Wolfenstein but Return to Castle Wolfenstein is actually pretty damn fun. It came out quite a few years ago and I actually dug it out a month ago to replay the campaign. For all you gamers out there I think there is a new Wolfenstein currently in the making.

I'm enjoying listening everyone's opinions. I never buy big on any comic (just 2 or 3 of what I really like) but I love talking comics. Mainly because none of my friends collect so I never get to discuss anything with them.