• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Container Plastic Type

27 posts in this topic

Okay, Is it just me or do CGC cases and plastic have a slight bluish tint sometimes?

I have searched through the search function for any way, shape, or form of blue plastic CGC container etc… and I have not found any thing on this topic. So sorry if this topic is already posted somewhere else I can’t find.

Sometimes CGC containers seem to have a bluish tint, to me. It is mostly only noticeable around the edges and corners of the CGC case where the plastic it thicker. It is a like a light bluish tint. It is more noticeable with a white background. I think it just the type of plastic used. If the plastic case was completely clear it would not look bluish. But grayish. I have other plastic things, like plastic cups, where the edges appear grayish. I wish the CGC cases were made of completely clear plastic. To let the colors of the comic shine through.

I know it is only minor and not extremely noticeable, it is just the type of plastic used.

I have been emailing a CGC representative. At first they didn't understand what I was talking about but then they noticed the slight color of the plastic around the edges. Here's what they said:

"I see what you are seeing now, that is the way the thickness of the holder refracts light. Without increasing the costs dramatically the material we use are the safest archival material we can get, so the material is not going to change I'm afraid."

Also I asked about the CGC wait times and here's what they said.

"As for the times, we are doing what we can but volume dictates turn times are right now we are swamped. We have hired folks in all departments, including graders (still in various stages of training) so we are doing all we can to catch up."

I hope I don't get any trainees grading my comics or I hope they are training well. Haha.

Here are some examples. You have to look around the edges of the CGC cases where it is most noticeable and the plastic is thicker, to see the slightly bluish tint of the plastic used:

134446.jpg.4d3df7213e20a226d92e49c88c011988.jpg

134447.jpg.a8dfbb559227cca57c59440af4db3bd8.jpg

134448.jpg.55e81076d061d430b0c5fbfb11e26827.jpg

134449.jpg.22c891eaf0cca694dc5c19e891acc1ca.jpg

My last shipment of CGC books were all in red slabs.

Not the color of the label or a tint on the plastic, the actual slabs were opaque red and you can't see what's inside them nor the grade on the label at the top.

I called CGC to ask them about it and they said they ran out of clear plastic and had to use red.

They suggested I use them for either coasters or poker chips.

Where was this question when we were all pushing so hard to get the n00b thread to get over 100 pages?

Anyway, as someone who worked in a plastics plant full time my first two years in college, the answer is that plastic lots will vary slightly in clarity and it is not unusual for a very faint blue'ish tint to appear in clear plastics. Any number of variables can go into this, including the temperature the plastic was extruded at, the injection pressure into the mold and how much if any recycled scrap material was mixed into the raw plastic. The thicker tha plastic the more noticeable the effect will be - which is why you are most noticing it along the edges were it is much thicker

Also, because there are actually two layers of plastic - the inner holder and outer shell, light can reflect around. If the inner plastic holder touchs the outer, you can see a rainbow like "oil on water" effect.

Over the years, have found this (tint) to be very uncommon on CGC holders. PGX holders are slightly heavier and appear to use a softer formulation of plastic. Their holders are more likely to have the faint tint you speak of.

These are not considered defects.

And welcome to the boards. Try to ignore the razzing. I can't (effectively anyway) use the search function either.

Get some BluBlockers. Slabs will look better and the babes will swoon when you cruise the convention isles. A one-man wolf pack.

blublocker_logo.gif

blublocker-demi-tortoise-nylon-zach-galifianakis.jpg

I personally prefer the X-Ray glasses I bought back in the 60's from a ad on the back of a comic book. Everyone looks better as a skelton (:

Where was this question when we were all pushing so hard to get the n00b thread to get over 100 pages?

Anyway, as someone who worked in a plastics plant full time my first two years in college, the answer is that plastic lots will vary slightly in clarity and it is not unusual for a very faint blue'ish tint to appear in clear plastics. Any number of variables can go into this, including the temperature the plastic was extruded at, the injection pressure into the mold and how much if any recycled scrap material was mixed into the raw plastic. The thicker tha plastic the more noticeable the effect will be - which is why you are most noticing it along the edges were it is much thicker

Also, because there are actually two layers of plastic - the inner holder and outer shell, light can reflect around. If the inner plastic holder touchs the outer, you can see a rainbow like "oil on water" effect.

Over the years, have found this (tint) to be very uncommon on CGC holders. PGX holders are slightly heavier and appear to use a softer formulation of plastic. Their holders are more likely to have the faint tint you speak of.

And welcome to the boards. Try to ignore the razzing. I can't (effectively anyway) use the search function either.

I thought the real answer here, is because they're frickin' blue. The GD things are all blue. I haven't seen one that isn't frickin' blue. :sumo:

I don't know, maybe my eyes are F'd up compared to you humaniods. :sorry:

It's the light reflecting off the Barex™.

Plus, you should have used the search function before starting this thread.

there are many great and wonderful things about the boards

The search function is NOT one of them!

:frustrated:

I thought the real answer here, is because they're frickin' blue. The GD things are all blue. I haven't seen one that isn't frickin' blue. :sumo:

I don't know, maybe my eyes are F'd up. :sorry:

iIT IS BECAUSE YOU ARE A LIZARD: From the internet

"Lizard (including geckos) and turtle retinas contain multicolored oil droplets in their photoreceptors, so they can perceive color. The opsin proteins in the cones in the eye are "calibrated" to detect different wavelengths. In many species, this enables them to see into the higher wavelengths beyond the scope of unaided human vision: into the UV range"

As I said in my previous post I searched in the search feature for for all kinds of things before posting. Yeah the search feature hasn't really helped me a lot, either.

The cgc person has been emailing me and told me "This is the same material we have used since day one." You think with how busy and popular they are, they could think about upgrading the cgc slabs to the best archival ingredients.

Thanks for the welcome to the boards. These boards are very interesting and entertaining to read. hm:popcorn: