• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurricane Season

70 posts in this topic

My thoughts are with you guys. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks. I'm gonna get pretty bad winds myself. I'm not gonna be in the major part of the storm, but I'm gonna get winds that are strong enough to rip trees out of the ground and cause power outages, so I am in as much danger.

I currently am in a Hurricaine wind warning, a tornado watch, and a flooding watch.

Bummer, but do you still have internet access? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes the storm hasn't gotten to me yet it's on it's way. I'll get hit in a couple hours.

according to the weather channel, it's fort myers/port charlotte that will take the hardest hit. ft myers hasn't seen anything like this since Donna in 1960.

the Tampa/ St petes/ Sarasota area will apparently not be as bad as the storm will track inland south of there and the winds will hit from the east greatly mitigating the storm surge.

still a category 4 with winds of 145 MPH.. good luck to all from Ft Myers to Orlando 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My parents have had a condo down on Sanibel Island (just south of you guys)

Your parents are lucky. Sanibel is awesome! I've been down there twice since 2000 and I cannot wait to go back. It's definitely a great vacation spot.

Good luck to everyone in Florida. I'll keep my fingers 893crossfingers-thumb.gif and hope all goes well for everyone in Charlie's path.

My parents have had a condo down on Sanibel Island (just south of you guys)

Your parents are lucky. Sanibel is awesome! I've been down there twice since 2000 and I cannot wait to go back. It's definitely a great vacation spot.

Good luck to everyone in Florida. I'll keep my fingers 893crossfingers-thumb.gif and hope all goes well for everyone in Charlie's path.

I hope it's still there! (Only half-kidding.) frown.gif It really is an amazing place, though... the wildlife is second-to-none! Where have you stayed while you were down there?

And an update:

Captiva (the island directly north) had the eye pass directly overhead, so hopefully it's still THERE... it's been about one hurricane away from total annihilation for a long, long time. I'm sure the whole thing is under water at this point, as it's only about 1/4 mile wide at its widest point.

What that means for Sanibel is that since it is only mere FEET apart from Captiva that the bulk of the island was directly in the path of those 140+ mph winds... very bad for a place like that (hell, bad for ANY place, obviously). But I'm thinking that most of those houses which are elevated on posts and things like that aren't there any more.

We stay at a camp ground/trailer place. It's before you get to McTee's (sp?). My girlfriend lived in Lauderdale for 13 years. She discovered the Island in 2000 so we made a trip there later that year, loved it, and went back again in 2002. She loves the shelling. I like the location.

Hope your parents place holds up.

I've spent many a snowbird winter week in Sanibel. We stay at the Sanibel Moorings near the east end of the island.

Nothing beats a kayak trip through the mangrove forest of the Ding Darling Wildlife refuge. Or the trip to Cabbage Key to eat a cheeseburger in paradise. Or the shelling. Or the fishing for redfish, flounder and trout. Or the sunsets. Or the bird- and gator-watching while hiking through the Bailey preserve.

Here's wishing everyone and everything is OK there today.

I've spent many a snowbird winter week in Sanibel. We stay at the Sanibel Moorings near the east end of the island.

Nothing beats a kayak trip through the mangrove forest of the Ding Darling Wildlife refuge. Or the trip to Cabbage Key to eat a cheeseburger in paradise. Or the shelling. Or the fishing for redfish, flounder and trout. Or the sunsets. Or the bird- and gator-watching while hiking through the Bailey preserve.

Here's wishing everyone and everything is OK there today.

Sanibel Moorings... that's a great spot!! Down by the lighthouse, right? My parents' place is over on West Gulf Drive right near the *other* Ding Darling preserve. Yeesh, I hadn't even thought about that lighthouse and the bulk of the refuge... I can't imagine what the island's going to look like once this is over!

But man, you were right on, Cabbage Key is SO great! There's nothing like grabbing lunch on a "deserted" island. cloud9.gif Have you ever gone to the Crab Races at 'Tween Waters Inn? That was always a favorite for my brother and I.

And can you imagine the kind of *stuff* that's going to come washing up after this storm?? Sheller's paradise, I tell you.

Punta Gorda was among the hardest hit and our friends live there. Luckily they went to the East Coast, but they dont think they have a home anymore.

and where is NewtSamson?? I was talking to him online and he got cut off suddenly.....hurricane?

~TK

I hope everything is OK with all of you Floridians today. If you have power and the opportunity to use it, please let us know how you are doing.

Wishing you well.

Bob