• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

To answer your question Access:

Artists use reference all the time. We use our imaginations all the time, too. However, the two aren't mutually exclusive, as we try and mix our reference and our own idea when putting it on paper.

For example:

In this splash page, Garry probably got some reference for that building in the background, and even the little street scene in the foreground. Chances are he got several different shots and styles of both 'grounds', and mixed, matched, took, and discarded different ideas from all of them, until he came up with something wholly original.

That's what we do to keep things believable. At the same time, our job as the artist is not to be as accurate as possible. Our job is to get the point across in a timely manner, so that we keep the story in a fluid motion. Constant movement is key. If a reader stops for too long to ogle one particular panel or drawing, it ruins the flow of the narrative and takes the reader out of the story.

So while Nexus does have a good point in that finding reference is easy, it may not necessarily be the point of the piece to be as accurate as possible. Sometimes the point is to just get the idea across without being too specific. That idea applies in all aspects of narrative art. From a single line, to an entire scene.

Works the same in sales. You keep it flowing or you lose peoples interest.

I want you to know that imho, you are moving into rarified air as far I'm concerned. There are certain artsists that I try to make sure I don't miss their stuff. Jae Lee, Mike Mignola, Frank Quitely, Frank Miller, Barry Windsor Smith, Joe Kubert, Gene Colan, the Romitas, and a few others. None are just alike but they all bring weight to their pages. I view your work the same way. Congrats and continued success to you and Frank.

Edited by The Authority

Will the phantom variants continue into the next story arch? I have all five phantoms and would like to keep it up. 1-3 are signed by Frank as well as having second prints of 1,2 signed and regular copies of 1-5.

Frank or Larry knows the answer to the phantom question I would imagine.

I won't get mine for 2 more days so I think I'mgoing to the LCS because this sounds great

http://www.comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/image-comics/five-ghosts-the-haunting-of-fabian-gray/5

Woohoo !

Third review from the top :D

This series has been phenomenal and one I am VERY glad to see getting the on-going treatment. From Frank's understanding of pulpy, episodic adventures to Chris and Lauren's amazing and unique art, well, it's a win of a series.

Thanks so much, Authority. We're hoping to get a lot of new readers on board with the next arc and having the collection out in September.

Clearly everyone here is amazing and a great supporter--but certainly make sure to pre-order your issues and the trade from your LCS! It helps us immensely!

Also, I'll be sharing fun stuff as it rolls in--if you're digging the book now I can't wait for you all to see issue 6 with Garry and the next arc with Chris--LOST COASTLINES!

Also, to anyone I have to ship stuff to--all packages will be out this week!

Thanks again for everything!

-Frank

Frank, do you have anything cool planned for Thought Bubble?