• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

3D Covers are the flavor of the month....and they are putting a monkey wrench into multiple overlooked auctions.

We're still knee deep into con season and folks are shuffling their $ in that direction as well.

There's an overall dip that's been experienced since the start of the cons...and it won't bounce completely until after they're done....but we are actually starting to see that trend begin.

In spite of the fact that more than a few folks were well aware that this 'mini' was going to be an ongoing....I'm sure that fact has escaped the unwashed masses. It'll take the reappearance and continued development of the series to bring more attention to bear.

Of course a healthy injection of speculation ala movies, t.v., animation, etc. can always seem to stimulate even the most dormant of titles out of obscurity....

But that said, this title has a core base of fans that appreciate it for all the right reasons: the story, the art and the responsiveness to those fans. How many artists and writers have a 10,000 foot view of their product and never become approachable? Here you've got Frank and Chris spoon feeding you goodies galore and they actually take into consideration what we're hungering for.

The SDCC is a brilliant example of that. Super-ultra-hyper-extreme limited exclusives. They also appear to be postured to continue the story using a small hiatus to launch the new arc...as opposed to some other notorious titles that started out fantastically and then ground to a halt...utterly ignoring the fan base. All signs point to win.

Even without the 3D scratch n' sniff variant, I'm in for the ride.

^ Well said. Frank goes above and beyond. I normally buy and sell so that i can buy more and read more. No way would I sell my SDCC set. It's officially a part of my permanent collection. I will always keep a set of the first prints too. The fact that this thread is almost always on the front page in spite of the undervalued ebay sales speaks volumes as to how good this book is imho.

Never seen a floppy pop up.....there've been plenty of hardcover 'comic' pop up books tho from both Marvel and DC. It'd be quite an innovation to see it done with a flexible cover. It'd be the first of its' kind and quite newsworthy. :)

Some examples:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?SeriesID=16390931

I have spent so much time in the MCS sux thread that I feel like i should give some attention to one of the titles i love. I won this last night.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300967195125?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I actually had the alarm set on my phone at a wedding reception and hawked the auction while the father/bride dance was going on. Wife was pissed but i didn't care. This comic reminds me of why Raiders of the Lost Ark was my favorite movie as a kid. Just love this comic. Ok gotta get back to the MCS thread. I feel like i am singlehandedly keeping that thread afloat.

Edited by NigelTufnel42

How about the regular #1? Any chance of it selling above $10?

You mean like the five #1s this seller blew out 4 days ago at best offer with a $12.99 listing and $3.00 shipping?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Ghosts-Haunting-Of-Fabian-Gray-1-Frank-Barbiere-Chris-Mooneyham-1st-print-/380617903869?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item589e984efd

I wish this was the norm but I am seeing lots of sold prices at way below what you posted.

This is something I don't quite get.

There is a lot of people reading and liking this series (myself included)

There isn't a lot of hoarding like EoW.

Print run has been healthy.

So, shouldn't we see a healthy growth in secondary prices, rather than this dip that we are seeing?

Maybe it is the 3D covers hm

let's stop worry about the price. can we get back to discuss the story and art?

there is so much dedication, Frank is only writer that would spend the time drop in the forum talk to us. I'll continue to read as long as they are making the book.

there is so much dedication, Frank is only writer that would spend the time drop in the forum talk to us. I'll continue to read as long as they are making the book.

+1, although it is hard to repeat how good the story and artbook is without sounding like a broken record. Maybe my vocab is limited hm

As for Frank, it is so true that he actually spends time to interact with fans (like Ken from Todd). I wonder why more creators don't bother to come to interact with their potential readers here.

+1, although it is hard to repeat how good the story and artbook is without sounding like a broken record. Maybe my vocab is limited hm

As for Frank, it is so true that he actually spends time to interact with fans (like Ken from Todd). I wonder why more creators don't bother to come to interact with their potential readers here.

:golfclap: Frank is the reason I signed up on the boards. I love when a creator is willing to interact with their fans.

PS- Looks like we all got some FG goodies recently! This is me

Never seen a floppy pop up.....there've been plenty of hardcover 'comic' pop up books tho from both Marvel and DC. It'd be quite an innovation to see it done with a flexible cover. It'd be the first of its' kind and quite newsworthy. :)

Some examples:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?SeriesID=16390931

I think Mighty Magnor had a pop up cover.

Haha, yes...needless to say I won't be putting the series numbering on the covers ever again.

Thanks for all the support as always, guys. I think people are really going to love #6--it came out even better than I expected. Garry really stepped it up.

The next arc is also going to be a lot of fun and Chris is taking his art to the next level as well. When we have more stuff I'll post some teasers/whatever here. Again, all the support is very appreciated and we promise to keep coming out with fun stuff to collect! One of these days I'll get around to doing something just for board members--I apologize about the slowness sometimes, but I won't ever disappear ; ).

Put your big boy pants on if you're going to step into the octagon...cause IMHO I couldn't have stolen that any easier with a loaded gun:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Ghosts-1-2-3-4-5-SDCC-Variant-Set-w-Envelope-NM-MINT-Limited-to-50-Image-/251340310345?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=zPLP3EqfTd31tY7p4il2HVtv898%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

There's 50 of these folks....just 50. I would've dropped a bid twice as high without blinking. Upon looking into my crystal ball I see the future is bright for this title and the guys behind the red curtain....so I feel confident this little piece of history was worth every penny and quite a bit more. Someday these are going to show up at Kneel to Zod prices (in fact they already have elsewhere) and there'll be alot of heads shaking remorsefully they didn't pull the trigger at the low end.

Crime of the century and not one witness....unless you count the Detective. :wink:

mswF5wptLC_rxBkLsD0nCsw.jpg

Haven't been around much, but that seller is a boardie. I would have jumped on that as well. Nice grab!

Keep up the great writing Frank!

Yup...that was my set and it truly saddened me to have had to sell it. I was very happy to learn that it went to a fellow boardie. I by no means have jumped ship on this book I just needed to make some funds and quickly.

This book is one of my favorites out there and I can't wait for #6 to be in stores.

Keep up the great work Frank and Chris!

mathew

Haha, yes...needless to say I won't be putting the series numbering on the covers ever again.

Thanks for all the support as always, guys. I think people are really going to love #6--it came out even better than I expected. Garry really stepped it up.

The next arc is also going to be a lot of fun and Chris is taking his art to the next level as well. When we have more stuff I'll post some teasers/whatever here. Again, all the support is very appreciated and we promise to keep coming out with fun stuff to collect! One of these days I'll get around to doing something just for board members--I apologize about the slowness sometimes, but I won't ever disappear ; ).

(thumbs u (thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

I went to 2 shops today and in the first, they were completely sold out of Five Ghosts. In the other, they only had 2nd prints of #1. I suggested in both that they order more next time but it's a very good sign to me that these sold out because one of the shops ordered quite a few of 3,4, and 5.