• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

maybe they're not allowed to go kickstarter..otherwise .no reason some of these titles where they complain about no funds are not continued with outside monies. Panzerfaust should have gone kickstarter months ago.

I am very dubious that they could do better without Image than they do with Image from a numbers perspective :shrug:

Have you seen what kinda numbers some indie creators get on KS for some of these titles?

Kickstarter used to be a place where you had to go with a serious campaign and followers in order to raise funds to publish a book. Nowadays KS is a powerhouse with 100s of thousands of visitors who do NOTHING but search for cool comics to buy, much like they do at your LCS..

Here are some of the biggest ones

CTR+ALT+DLT 660k

Tomorrow Girl 530k

girl genius 380k

Ava's Demon 330k

Mind you these are COMIC BOOKS that people read and will probably never get a mention over here or similar collectors forums. This is a 100% reader's market with 0% speculative aspect.

I am very dubious that they could do better without Image than they do with Image from a numbers perspective :shrug:

Have you seen what kinda numbers some indie creators get on KS for some of these titles?

Kickstarter used to be a place where you had to go with a serious campaign and followers in order to raise funds to publish a book. Nowadays KS is a powerhouse with 100s of thousands of visitors who do NOTHING but search for cool comics to buy, much like they do at your LCS..

CTR+ALT+DLT 660k

Tomorrow Girl 530k

girl genius 380k

Ava's Demon 330k

Mind you these are COMIC BOOKS that people read and will probably never get a mention over here or similar collectors forums. This is a 100% reader's market with 0% speculative aspect.

Pointing out a few stars among overwhelming odds isn't a good business model. When Five Ghosts comes back it'll have more exposure on the shelves as well as online staying with image.

CTR+ALT+DLT 660k

Tomorrow Girl 530k

girl genius 380k

Ava's Demon 330k

I still stand by what I said, I don't see them having better luck without Image than they do with Image. It's purely speculative on my part, but that's how I see it.

CTR+ALT+DLT 660k

Tomorrow Girl 530k

girl genius 380k

Ava's Demon 330k

Pointing out a few stars among overwhelming odds isn't a good business model. When Five Ghosts comes back it'll have more exposure on the shelves as well as online staying with image.

You got all day?

CTR+ALT+DLT 660k

Tomorrow Girl 530k

girl genius 380k

Ava's Demon 330k

I still stand by what I said, I don't see them having better luck without Image than they do with Image. It's purely speculative on my part, but that's how I see it.

This is not about Image vs KS.. Its about taking a "failed" title as some of you have dubbed it here, and giving it a second chance. Ill say it again, Project startups are NOT the future of indie comics, they ARE the current state of indie comics. Its a better world now than it was when Image came out and gave creative controlled properties a platform. Its progress.

CTR+ALT+DLT 660k

Tomorrow Girl 530k

girl genius 380k

Ava's Demon 330k

You got all day?

Not to dismiss this list of most money collected from a kickstarter or gofundme etc etc projects here but most of them the masses have never heard about and probably never will. Just because someone can raise some cash for a project doesn't equal success just like having a book at Image doesn't equal success. The odds are always higher yet sometimes things do succeed and become popular.

CTR+ALT+DLT 660k

Tomorrow Girl 530k

girl genius 380k

Ava's Demon 330k

This is not about Image vs KS.. Its about taking a "failed" title as some of you have dubbed it here, and giving it a second chance. Ill say it again, Project startups are NOT the future of indie comics, they ARE the current state of indie comics. Its a better world now than it was when Image came out and gave creative controlled properties a platform. Its progress.

Maybe they'll do it and settle the argument, but I doubt it. They both have work right now, and I don't think they'll go back to it unless that well runs dry. They'd be better off just to start up a new series (at Image) and ride the early issue sales bump. That's how the market works now.

I haven't heard a peep.

And I really liked the first year of content (collected in a nice hardcover), but I do feel like it dropped off a bit after that. I was trade waiting it when it fell off the map, but I'd definitely read any future trades that turn up.

Any movement on this?

I agree with the above poster. I was really into the first arc, the second arc was good enough but the delays on the third were unbearable. It took almost a year to put out 5 issues.

Spoke to Frank at SDCC, he is finishing some other projects, and hopes to continue the series sometime late fall or early winter time period this year.