• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your worst comicbook accident / mistake?

95 posts in this topic

Not my story, but back in the early 70s I heard a dealer lament that his six year old daughter had cut Batman and Robin out of the cover of a Batman #1 from a collection he had bought and left on the dining room table. Don't know if it was really true or not, but it stuck with me.

Allowing my niece to doodle in my newly purchased ASM 300...

I said to myself "there is no way this venom character is going to be anything,

he's just a villain that ripped off Spidey's costume" so doodle away...

I think I still have that book somewhere.

:tonofbricks:

My mistake, when I first started collecting in '87 or so was not thinking about who created our beloved superheroes. Looking into the history of the characters and getting an appreciation for the origins and society at the time. I would see pics of Stan still involved in the industry and think to myself, why is this old man still involved in comics? doh! Such naivity. Had I done my homework, I may have some of the books in my collection that I can only dream about now, i.e. AF 15, Tec 27, Bats 1, you know, the big keys.

As far as other mistakes, I erased an ink mark on my first copy of Hulk 181, it was in the "H", book was beat and the critical stamp was long gone, may have been one of Shadroch or Bleuhawaii's books.

I cut a coupon or two out of some Maxx books to buy the, Maxximum Sound cassette audio story that was made to accompany the first few issues of the book.

Sold my Spidey 10 (8.5 old label), and old label FF 42 (9.2) and FF 55 (9.0/9.2) as we needed the money for some stupid reason. :makepoint: Really big mistake!!! Now I'm depressed. :sorry:

Mine was not realizing my Hulk 181 was on my drawing/ work table when I placed some card on it and began taking my Xacto blade to cut a bunch of shapes out for a university project. There must have been 30 different slash marks that went through the cover and into the inner pages about 3 deep.

Ouch! That sucks. What did you do with the book afterwards?

I hung onto it for many many years, but I sold it at a comic convention 2 years ago for 100.00. I still had all the pieces that had been cut out of the cover in the comic bag/ with board so it doubled as a jigsaw puzzle!

I had a bunch of books stolen from me by a "friend" when I was a kid (notables were a really nice ASM 129 and Cap 100). Ironic note, I think he sold them to Graham Crackers in Downers Grove-that was our local store. After the trial a few months later he made restitution with a pile of crappy books and some cash.

I regret that I didn't reject the restitution and make the little replace the actual books he stole. Never did replace either one, either. Now it would take a few grand to replace them.

I used to go to a bookshop in the 1980s.

As a favour the owner used to keep all the comics he got into his shop for me to have first look.

I went there one day and he was very excited and said he had just bought a massive box all in NM condition.

I started to carry the box downstairs so I could look at them, when the bottom fell out of the box and about 300 NM comics dropped a few grades as they went down the stairs :facepalm:

I felt like mess that day.

When I was a kid growing up in South Georgia in the early/mid-80's, I'd go with my dad to Keller's Flea market in Savannah on the weekends and sell baseball cards while he sold his own stuff (he had a brass wholesale business). Like most boys at the time, I was also a comic collector, and was ecstatic to happen across a small stack of 1960's books on someone's table who was having a yard sale. They were .25 each, and included Iron Man #2 and X-Men #10, among a few others. They were in surprisingly nice shape, a real find for an elementary school aged kid.

Well, there was also an old guy who always set up with a few long boxes of .15 to .50 cover price beaters that he sold for .25 each, no matter what the title was. Not wanting to miss a chance to look like a hot shot (I was 12), I grabbed the X-men #10 and strolled over to his booth, plopping the X-Men down on top of one of his long boxes and smugly asking "So what'll you give me for THAT?".

He didn't skip a beat, grabbing the book, slamming two staples into it, and then dropping it down into one of his long boxes. He then smiled back and stated "Go ahead and pick out a couple of new books, kid." I suppose if YouTube existed in 1985, my expression would have made for a pretty priceless video. As it was, I just numbly picked out two books and slunk away. I don't even think I sold any baseball cards that weekend, come to think of it. Not my best childhood experience.

I left a few very nice comics on the floor in my college dorm room while my girlfriend was over.

She "accidentally" dropped a record album (not flat, but corner first) on a VF/NM Justice League #2 (light pink cover) that I had just found with a whole nice grouping of SA.

I'd picked up a really screaming high grade group of SA and some SA keys, Showcase 30, B&B 34, JLA 2, LL 15, at a antique store in Boulder Colorado when I was going to college.

I was looking at them when she came over.

Put a nice dent through the cover.....

I was very sad, but at least it was back in 1986 so it wasn't worth too much at the time. Of course a VF/NM JLA 2 is now worth $2300 vs the $500 it'd now be worth if I still had it.

I traded it out with a few other things for a few early Action Comics 28,30 and an All Star 9. Had the AS9 and Action 30 slabbed by CGC at 8.5's. Sold the 28 well before CGC back in 1994 to pay for a wedding gift for my wife. Since I still have her, I'd say I did pretty well on that deal too.

When I was a kid growing up in South Georgia in the early/mid-80's, I'd go with my dad to Keller's Flea market in Savannah on the weekends and sell baseball cards while he sold his own stuff (he had a brass wholesale business). Like most boys at the time, I was also a comic collector, and was ecstatic to happen across a small stack of 1960's books on someone's table who was having a yard sale. They were .25 each, and included Iron Man #2 and X-Men #10, among a few others. They were in surprisingly nice shape, a real find for an elementary school aged kid.

Well, there was also an old guy who always set up with a few long boxes of .15 to .50 cover price beaters that he sold for .25 each, no matter what the title was. Not wanting to miss a chance to look like a hot shot (I was 12), I grabbed the X-men #10 and strolled over to his booth, plopping the X-Men down on top of one of his long boxes and smugly asking "So what'll you give me for THAT?".

He didn't skip a beat, grabbing the book, slamming two staples into it, and then dropping it down into one of his long boxes. He then smiled back and stated "Go ahead and pick out a couple of new books, kid." I suppose if YouTube existed in 1985, my expression would have made for a pretty priceless video. As it was, I just numbly picked out two books and slunk away. I don't even think I sold any baseball cards that weekend, come to think of it. Not my best childhood experience.

I'd have leaned over and decked the guy.....

Put a full box of CGC GA books on a top wire shelf only to have the shelf slip when I turned my back. Got clubbed in the head and had a dozen slabs broken when the box pivoted on my head and dumped the slabs in the floor.

Is that why you keep upgrading :gossip:

Nowadays, without a question. Back then, though, I was just too shocked to say or do anything at all. The visions I had of walking back to our booth with a long box of comics in trade disappeared pretty quickly, though.

I also had another poor experience with comics a couple of years afterwards, although it wasn't really a "mistake" on my part (some may disagree). Around 1986 or 1987, I saved up my allowance and ordered a bunch of books from a Mile High ad out of one of my Marvels. Most of them were supposed to be 70's bronze age stuff, costing around .30 to .50 each. Well, three months later, when the books actually arrived, a LOT of my choices were missing. I guess Chuck and crew just randomly decided what to substitute, which was unfortunate, since my mom watched me open the books and a brand-new copy of Eclipse's "Seduction of the Innocent" was sitting on top.

...when I was finally allowed to buy comics again, I switched to buying primarily from American Comics. Because, after all, how could you go wrong paying $40 for a copy of "Adventurers #1"? :facepalm: