• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My ebay story - and a buyer to block

122 posts in this topic

How many packages has Dale shipped and had this happen? I'm gonna' say never. Sounds like this person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed-tool is pulling one off on Dale.

Not surprised that PayPal/eBay sided with the buyer. That company's MO is to screw people as much as possible int he weirdest of ways.

Its frightening though.

I just reached trusted seller/bronze powerseller level, after 3 years of hard work and bending backwards to ensure perfect customer service.

I even keep all tracking receipts in a book with transaction details in case of credit card problems years down the line.

It now seems I will have to video myself sealing up the box after putting the books in and save all this to a HD.

Cheaper books and it was noobie problems, and now expensive books and professional scammers come into play.

Sheesh.

The other side is the regular bunch of 40 - 50 guys who come back on a regular basis and keep buying.

Ebay and Paypal continue to shoot themselves in the foot by siding with buyers 100%.

2c

I am not the biggest fan of eBay, but as long as you insured the package you should eventually recoup your losses.

Its frightening though.

I just reached trusted seller/bronze powerseller level, after 3 years of hard work and bending backwards to ensure perfect customer service.

I even keep all tracking receipts in a book with transaction details in case of credit card problems years down the line.

It now seems I will have to video myself sealing up the box after putting the books in and save all this to a HD.

Cheaper books and it was noobie problems, and now expensive books and professional scammers come into play.

Sheesh.

The other side is the regular bunch of 40 - 50 guys who come back on a regular basis and keep buying.

Ebay and Paypal continue to shoot themselves in the foot by siding with buyers 100%.

2c

I am not the biggest fan of eBay, but as long as you insured the package you should eventually recoup your losses.

How, exactly, does insurance cover this? Package was "delivered". Package was not damaged. Package not stolen from porch. Package was not open en route.

How, exactly, is USPS liable here?

It seems one party (or both, if it's a two way scam) is lying.

Not saying Dale is lying. Just saying that if USPS is liable in situations like this, then two parties (sender and receiver acting in cohorts) could defraud the USPS out of millions of dollars very easily.

This seems more like a criminal matter between the two parties.

Anyone with knowledgeable opinions on this scenario?

That's the rub: eventually money will be recouped; only after great effort, time, and resources are spent by the person who has been wronged.

Was in my office the other day in downtown DC, which overlooks the only block in the city that didn't have parking meters and people scramble to get those coveted spots every day. I watched as city workers put up No Parking signs along the block at 930am and at 935am a parking enforcement officer wrote a dozen tickets.

Sure, each person who parked on the block legally at 830am and came out at 530pm to a $75 ticket on their windshield could fight it and win; but at what cost? To take a day off to sit in court to plead your case when you did nothing wrong in the first place costs more than the ticket itself.

There's no justification for ebay/paypal treating its sellers like this. Ebay is slowly poisoning its golden goose.

Is it possible for board members to start a blocked eBay user id index? Has this ever been tried in the past?

Board members can just reply to the thread with the eBay user ID that we should block, with the reasoning, then someone could update the first thread in the post, keeping an index.

No. Because there would have to be a nomination thing where others agree.

Making a separate forum with their ebay username is good because it is than googleable for anyone in the future looking up the buyer.

Tampering with mail is a crime. Perhaps get the police to investigate?

I was on the other side of a case like this as the buyer, where the package had something completely different than what I purchased. When I contacted the seller, he insisted he shipped the correct book and didn't even have the books that were in my package. Since the weight on the postage label corresponded to what was shipped as opposed to what I had purchased, I knew the guy was scamming me. However, before PayPal would accept my claim, I was required to file a police report with my local police department. I guess PayPal has lowered their standards since then. I bet in this case if the guy had to file a police report before he could get his money back through PayPal, the claim would have been dropped.

That's the rub: eventually money will be recouped; only after great effort, time, and resources are spent by the person who has been wronged.

Was in my office the other day in downtown DC, which overlooks the only block in the city that didn't have parking meters and people scramble to get those coveted spots every day. I watched as city workers put up No Parking signs along the block at 930am and at 935am a parking enforcement officer wrote a dozen tickets.

Sure, each person who parked on the block legally at 830am and came out at 530pm to a $75 ticket on their windshield could fight it and win; but at what cost? To take a day off to sit in court to plead your case when you did nothing wrong in the first place costs more than the ticket itself.

There's no justification for ebay/paypal treating its sellers like this. Ebay is slowly poisoning its golden goose.

Fixed it.

I put in a claim to PayPal. They rejected it and sided with the seller. I filed in NY and the summons was sent to their NY registered agent. All of a sudden I have money in my account. PayPal doesn't like to be sued. They have tons of registered agents all over the country. Find one by you. :) Paypal seller protection. I didn't care if I lost. I just wanted them to show on their dime. I don't play games with them. If I know I sent it, then stand behind your "seller protection".

I put in a claim to PayPal. They rejected it and sided with the seller. I filed in NY and the summons was sent to their NY registered agent. All of a sudden I have money in my account. PayPal doesn't like to be sued. They have tons of registered agents all over the country. Find one by you. :) Paypal seller protection. I didn't care if I lost. I just wanted them to show on their dime. I don't play games with them. If I know I sent it, then stand behind your "seller protection".

Still doesn't address the biggest problem in the situation, which is the low life that stole my money.

But, I might look at that too.

Is it possible for board members to start a blocked eBay user id index? Has this ever been tried in the past?

Board members can just reply to the thread with the eBay user ID that we should block, with the reasoning, then someone could update the first thread in the post, keeping an index.

I thought there had been one started up long ago? (shrug)

Dale, did you happen to use the postal window to ship this guy's books? Or did you do it online? Using the postal window would provide proof (third party proof with receipt) that you shipped a package with two books in it (because two books weigh more than no books).

I always use paypal shipping, but the weight is entered there too. He didn't say the box was empty, just that it had cardboard and bubblewrap.

I am pretty sure he is just a scammer, based on PMs I have received from people who have dealt with him in other ebay incarnations. I am going to pursue a couple of different avenues to recoup my money.

Sucks there are so many scammers out there, definitely a serious problem in the hobby. Sorry to hear Dale. Hopefully your continued pursuit leads resolution.

I'd like to see this list of "blocks" as I would it hope it included the "guy" who used supapapa75, reconciler and several other i.d's. as I was later informed, this was back in '04, '05. I wanted to pursue him legally, but figured I'd spend more in attorney/court fees, loss of employment and travel expenses. So I have an overpriced PLOD Detective that was "guaranteed no resto" and PP sided with the "seller", even after grading notes were provided.

Beware of Sabasandave (Davis Park). He sold me a Hulk 181 through ebay without the value stamp (although he claimed it was there when he shipped it) and then when I had it returned as per ebay's instructions with signature confirmation and insurance he claimed there was nothing in the box.

Ebay now says I'm the one that has to open an insurance claim - and I sent them photos of the packaging with the book prior to shipping it because I knew he was a total scammer. It doesn't seem to matter that it was signed for by someone else. I'll probably close my account with them for good as a result of this.

I am pretty sure he is just a scammer, based on PMs I have received from people who have dealt with him in other ebay incarnations. I am going to pursue a couple of different avenues to recoup my money.

My concern is that ebay/Paypal obviously has a track record with this guy and they still side with him in a dispute? How in the world is Seller Protection worth spit if this sort of scam is regularly sided in the scammers favor?

Once a name matches a previous problem buyer there should be safeguards in place protecting sellers from this sort of scam. First would be to check location, if buyer is in the same vicinity as past scammer of the SAME name, it should be assumed that it is the same scammer. If the address is the same of a past scammer and the name is different, it should be assumed that is the same scammer. Next check type of product involved, if it is the same as from past scams, under the same name, then it should also not be held against the seller.

One would think this sort of blatant disregard for even the most rudimentary of "Seller Protections" would be something that class actions are made out of.

Beware of Sabasandave (Davis Park, -----------, Beverly Hills CA.). He sold me a Hulk 181 through ebay without the value stamp (although he claimed it was there when he shipped it) and then when I had it returned as per ebay's instructions with signature confirmation and insurance he claimed there was nothing in the box.

Ebay now says I'm the one that has to open an insurance claim - and I sent them photos of the packaging with the book prior to shipping it because I knew he was a total scammer. It doesn't seem to matter that it was signed for by someone else. I'll probably close my account with them for good as a result of this.

Clearly this is your fault because you did not videotape your entire process of packaging and shipping the book, and you did not get a notary to witness the packaging and go with you to the post office to watch the shipment go out. I hope you have learned your lesson and next time will fly out to return the book in person, of course bringing along your own documentary crew and making the recipient show three forms of ID.