• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Wake by Scott Snyder

380 posts in this topic

American Vampire is great. I suggest reading the trades if you'd like to try the new volume. Vampires throughout time, different eras perhaps? Moreover, the art and storytelling is incredible. Snyder and Albuerquerque. Can't spell that last part.

:juggle:

If you're looking for a comparison for AV, The Wake is a good one.

1) Have Snyder take a popular mythos (vampire/merman/soon to be Wyches).

2) Reimagine it (multiple species of vampires exist/mermen are responsible for history's major floods) with a strong female protaganist that you can care about.

3) Find an incredible artist to pair up with (Alburqurque/Murphy)

4) Create incredible cliffhangers within a tightly written arc that seems to have a satisfying conclusion and seems to wrap up a lot of loose ends.

5) Rinse and repeat with a new arc, but jump ahead a couple years with new and/or changed characters (20 yrs generally in AV, 200 yrs in The Wake), but demonstrate that those wrapped up loose ends aren't actually so wrapped up.

Each of the trades of American Vampire is solid on its own, much like the first 5 issue of The Wake works well enough as a stand-alone piece; the fact that each of the trades of AV build off the preceeding one is just icing on the Skinner Sweet cake. My favorite AV arc is Survival of the Fittest, but I am obviously a sucker for Sean Murphy's art, and that was the arc that Murphy stepped in for Alburqurque on AV.

This second arc seems to lack the passion that Snyder put in the first set of issues. Seems like it missing something.

Strange, I feel the exact opposite. I think it's finally picking up the pace and getting interesting.

2) Reimagine it (multiple species of vampires exist/mermen are responsible for history's major floods) with a strong female protaganist that you can care about.

4) Create incredible cliffhangers within a tightly written arc that seems to have a satisfying conclusion and seems to wrap up a lot of loose ends.

5) Rinse and repeat with a new arc, but jump ahead a couple years with new and/or changed characters (20 yrs generally in AV, 200 yrs in The Wake), but demonstrate that those wrapped up loose ends aren't actually so wrapped up.

Each of the trades of American Vampire is solid on its own, much like the first 5 issue of The Wake works well enough as a stand-alone piece; the fact that each of the trades of AV build off the preceeding one is just icing on the Skinner Sweet cake. My favorite AV arc is Survival of the Fittest, but I am obviously a sucker for Sean Murphy's art, and that was the arc that Murphy stepped in for Alburqurque on AV.

AV sounds good. Putting it down as a future read. Thanks. (thumbs u

AV sounds good. Putting it down as a future read. Thanks. (thumbs u

Ditto.

I picked up a cheap #1 and will see if the library has the trades. If a series is good, I like to have a copy of the 1st issue.

Easier on the wallet and the spare bedroom than having the whole series.

Didn't think it was possible, but this book basically tripled in greatness with issue 6. I did not see this story direction coming at all when I started reading this book when issue 1 came out. Snyder is the man, and a cool dude. Met him at WWChi last year and him and Capullo were great

I haven't caught up with issue 6 yet, but I gotta say that the 'whoa' feeling I got after the end of issue 5 was something I haven't felt in a long time.

Also hi everybody, this is my first post.