• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone polish or clean the CGC plastic case?

14 posts in this topic

I recently received a slab that had some sort of glue or melted plastic all over it. I'm not exactly sure what the material was, but it would not come out with Windex or 409.

It looked terrible, which is why I got the book so cheap, I believe.

I used PlastX by Meguires and it worked perfectly! It is designed to polish clear plastic, like car headlamp covers. The case now looks like it is fresh from CGC. You will just need to be patient as it took about 1/2 hour of scrubbing to work.

I used PlastX by Meguires and it worked perfectly! It is designed to polish clear plastic, like car headlamp covers. The case now looks like it is fresh from CGC. You will just need to be patient as it took about 1/2 hour of scrubbing to work.

That's what I use as well - it's great for getting glue residue off slabs without clouding the plastic.

I've never had the situation described above, melted plastic. I will use Goo Gone for stickers. But I do use Meguiar's as well, just a different product - ScratchX 2.0. For fine scratches, the kind you can feel with your fingernail but just barely, it's the bomb. For scratches just a little deeper, I use Novus 1, 2, 3 Kit Plastic Polish and Scratch Remover.

Then there's that kind of filmy stuff that apparently is on the inside of the holder, because no product I've tried can touch that. Degradation of the plastic? I don't get it...but I don't like it.

I've never had the situation described above, melted plastic. I will use Goo Gone for stickers. But I do use Meguiar's as well, just a different product - ScratchX 2.0. For fine scratches, the kind you can feel with your fingernail but just barely, it's the bomb. For scratches just a little deeper, I use Novus 1, 2, 3 Kit Plastic Polish and Scratch Remover.

Then there's that kind of filmy stuff that apparently is on the inside of the holder, because no product I've tried can touch that. Degradation of the plastic? I don't get it...but I don't like it.

"Filmy stuff"? Can you describe better? If you are referring the sort of oil on water look, that is from the inside plastic holder touching the plastic outer holder. Best solution for that is a piece of paper inserted and try to break the contact of the two plastics.

"Filmy stuff"? Can you describe better? If you are referring the sort of oil on water look, that is from the inside plastic holder touching the plastic outer holder. Best solution for that is a piece of paper inserted and try to break the contact of the two plastics.

Reeeeeally hm

But I do use Meguiar's as well, just a different product - ScratchX 2.0. For fine scratches, the kind you can feel with your fingernail but just barely, it's the bomb. For scratches just a little deeper, I use Novus 1, 2, 3 Kit Plastic Polish and Scratch Remover.

I just picked up Meguir's PlastX and Scratch X 2.0, the Scratch x 2.0 worked like a charm, thanks for passing this along!

Reeeeeally hm

While it sounds like a great idea, I tried a couple times on some items I was going to eBay and the paper didnt slide through very easily. What type of paper are people using? I could see wax paper working well, but regular printer paper, I was worried I was damaging the case and/or comic by having to force the paper through...

While it sounds like a great idea, I tried a couple times on some items I was going to eBay and the paper didnt slide through very easily. What type of paper are people using? I could see wax paper working well, but regular printer paper, I was worried I was damaging the case and/or comic by having to force the paper through...

Unfortunately, sometimes there's play in the case and it works, and sometimes there aint and it doesn't. I use printer paper.

The oils slick is one thing, annoying but all understand it's an optics thing, book not affected. Puddling, on the other hand, which has disappeared on the boards as a concern, is still happening and it very well might affect the book.