• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newbie hello and question

26 posts in this topic

hello all i have kinda just started collecting comics my current fave series is Hack/Slash and i know it coming to an end with a 5 book finale, 4 are out now

do you think its worth it for me to have the 5 books graded to keep in my collection

i have a few copies of each or is grading new comics not needed

thanks

hello all i have kinda just started collecting comics my current fave series is Hack/Slash and i know it coming to an end with a 5 book finale, 4 are out now

do you think its worth it for me to have the 5 books graded to keep in my collection

thanks

HI and welcome to the boards. :hi:

It comes down to your personal preference. Are you collecting for the love of collecting the book? Or for profit?

That might determine the answer.

Most people here would think I'm crazy, but I stick raw modern Batman and Tec's in mylar and collect SS Bats and Tec modern slabs. But that's because I LOVE them. Not because I think I'm going to strike it rich. :cloud9:

thanks

It's up to you. I like to get valuable, old books graded to make sure there's no restoration and to confirm the grade before selling. Some people like to grade moderns because they look neat and to build high grade registry sets. Some people like to get their comics signed by the creators, witnessed by CGC and graded so that the signature is authenticated.

Here's the registry index

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/Index.aspx

And welcome to the boards

Welcome to the boards...

Most of the other posters have answered the question. Collect what you like and if you would like to slab your books because you like them... Do it!

As far as monetary value goes, you're never going to make a killing with Hack/Slash but I have plenty of books in my collection that are worth nothing to anyone else but I love them nonetheless.

Head over to the modern forum if that's the kind of books you enjoy collecting. It's a bit hectic at times but it's a huge pool of information.

Cheers (thumbs u

if you want to get the books cgc graded, i suggest buying them already graded. it can get expensive to grade books especially if you dont really know what youre doing. you will also receive them a lot faster

Welcome to the boards.

Like already said, there is no hard and fast rule to what should be graded. If you like the look of slabbed books and want a set then grade what you want to keep. If you want to sell then grade those also, otherwise put your books into mylars and enjoy.

if you want to get the books cgc graded, i suggest buying them already graded. it can get expensive to grade books especially if you dont really know what youre doing. you will also receive them a lot faster

This. If you are new to grading and you want to have modern slabs, buy them slabbed already. If you send them in yourself you're, more than likely, throwing money away. Unless you're trying to get them Sig Series.

This. If you are new to grading and you want to have modern slabs, buy them slabbed already. If you send them in yourself you're, more than likely, throwing money away. Unless you're trying to get them Sig Series.

+1

I love that intro...

Sing it with me!

BASS!!! :banana:

It's a newbie hello (Hey) :banana:

It's a newbie hello (HO) :banana:

It's a newbie hello and a question! :sumo:

It's a newbie hello (Hey) :banana:

It's a newbie hello (HO) :banana:

It's a newbie hello and a question! :sumo:

thanks

hm

Do you like Captain America? Welcome to the boards.

I agree with everyone else. If you're looking for a high-grade slabbed set for your personal collection, it'll probably be easiest to buy them already graded at 9.8 (or whichever grade you want). That way, you at least are guaranteed a certain grade and won't be disappointed if your own do not make the grade you hoped for.

Welcome...

Every comic collector should slab a few books to see/feel what it's like - because they are always ancy to have some (myself included). You're better off doing it with some modern books because there is a learning curve to buying/selling/owning/submitting slabs that everyone goes through - and moderns are cheaper to experiment with.

After awhile, you'll figure out your focus for your slabbed collection and see what you like having graded, and what you like having bagged/boarded.

thanks

hm

Do you like Captain America? Welcome to the boards.

:o No,not again! :pullhair:

Welcome to the boards. :applause:

You can't read a book if it is slabbed and there is a real risk of slab damage if you are not careful when handling the book. Cover colours are truer and brighter in Mylar as the dual wells of the slab tend to grey and mute.

However many enjoy looking at covers and the slab does provide a presentation that emphasizes the cover as a work of art in itself.

Other slab collectors enjoy the uniformity of presentation the slab provides in such things as grade and paper quality. One can also feel pride in the level of preservation of the book when the grade is so clearly marked.

The heavy duty plastic presentation of the slab also lends a greater feeling of importance and value to the book as it preserved as an artifact rather than as a comic book in a sleeve.

I personally still have about four dozen slabs but anything I have bought over the last three years, I have bought with the intent of cracking, reading and putting into Mylar.

Good luck with your collecting.

You can't read a book if it is slabbed and there is a real risk of slab damage if you are not careful when handling the book. Cover colours are truer and brighter in Mylar as the dual wells of the slab tend to grey and mute.

However many enjoy looking at covers and the slab does provide a presentation that emphasizes the cover as a work of art in itself.

Other slab collectors enjoy the uniformity of presentation the slab provides in such things as grade and paper quality.

The heavy duty plastic presentation of the slab also lends a greater feeling of importance and value to the book as it preserved as an artifact rather than as a comic book in a sleeve.

I personally still have about four dozen slabs but anything I have bought over the last three years, I have bought with the intent of cracking, reading and putting into Mylar.

Good luck with your collecting.

Save those labels when you crack!