• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Resto: Proposed Definition

108 posts in this topic

[font:Times New Roman]My proposals for change:

BLUE LABEL:

No detectible restoration

Professional restoration/conservation (noted in purple lettering, along with SP, MP or EP, includes cover/interior cleaning, staple replacement, rice paper, etc., reversible repairs by established archivists working in the trade)

PURPLE LABEL:

Amateur repair (detailed on label, includes non-archival tapes, glue, etc., usually applied by original owner, intended to keep the book from falling apart)

Indeterminate repair (may be amateur or professional, designed to artificially improve book's appearance by removal of visible flaws, such as trimming, spine relocation, color fills, pieces added)

So, we now have two colours for restored books?

Yup, that should clear things up right and proper. meh

Forget the label colors, they probably aren't going away anytime soon. My point is finding a more sophisticated model, one that shares common ground with what's accepted in the antiques trade.

[/font]

I wish THIS were CGC's accepted definition of comic book restoration - whaddaya think?:

BLUE LABEL:

Given to any comic that has had no foreign substance added to it, or original material removed from it, ON PURPOSE FOR THE PURPOSE OF IMPROVING IT'S APPEARANCE

-- Stains, al la coffee ring: not added on purpose...gets Blue

-- Tape: added on purpose, gets Purple (see below)

-- Doodles...decreased grade, but Blue (not done to improve appearance)

-- Date stamp...possible decreased grade, but Blue (not added to improve appearance)

-- MVS/coupon missing...Blue, but downgraded & noted on label (not removed to improve appearance)

-- 1/2 page or less missing...Blue but downgraded and noted on label

-- More than 1/2 page missing...Incomplete designation

-- Pressed...Blue (no material added or removed)

PURPLE:

Given to any comic that has had a foreign substance added to it or original material removed from it in order to improve it's appearance:

-- Tape...Purple

-- Color touch...Purple

-- Glue...Purple

-- Trim: Material removed in order to improve appearance...Purple

QUALIFIED:

Lose this label: downgrade all "qualified" flaws under a Blue/Purple label, and note on label

I think CGC can and should note any foreign substance on a book and anything that has been done to it.

I don't think label colors help. If anything, they make it worse.

Color touch on a corner? The book is "better" if the corner is torn off.

Tape on the book. It's "better" if the tape is corrosive.

All the stuff you mention can be noted, and should be, except

It is not advisable to expect or even want a grading company to be determining what was or wasn't done "...ON PURPOSE..."

The phrase conjures images of a schoolyard dispute, and with good reason. That's where we all learned it and that's what discussions devolve to when books' values change (sometimes to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars) based on whether a defect occurred "accidentally" or "on purpose."

A simple notation of 'pressed' would be a good move for disclosure if CGC wouldn't want another label.

On all pressed books that CGC can detect, or assume to detect?

On pressed books declared by their pressing service. I think trying to detect pressing might open up a gigantic can of worms for them - they should stick to a pressing notation for books that have gone through their own pressing service - because it's verifiable.

Threads like this are interesting, but anything resembling a consensus is impossible.

True. A consensus would require people to change their ideas of what restoration is, and whittling it down to a black and white definition. It's possible to define it, I think - but not possible for people to accept it.

A simple notation of 'pressed' would be a good move for disclosure if CGC wouldn't want another label.

On pressed books declared by their pressing service. I think trying to detect pressing might open up a gigantic can of worms for them - they should stick to a pressing notation for books that have gone through their own pressing service - because it's verifiable.

Then their pressing service would go out of business. And the guys out there who are good at it will get all that business, and the books wouldn't end up with the 'pressed' notation. :shy:

I respect the thought process. But I also think that it would put their service at a disadvantage if others can press away without any worry of their books being called out.

Just trying to be fair.

Also since people here are willing and happy to disclose pressing in the sales thread, wouldnt they be willing to disclose it to CGC when submitted for slabbing?

(ok I know this isnt 100% true, but plenty of people do disclose pressing, so why not disclose it to CGC for notation on slabs?)

Also since people here are willing and happy to disclose pressing in the sales thread, wouldnt they be willing to disclose it to CGC when submitted for slabbing?

(ok I know this isnt 100% true, but plenty of people do disclose pressing, so why not disclose it to CGC for notation on slabs?)

:roflmao:

:baiting:

I respect the thought process. But I also think that it would put their service at a disadvantage if others can press away without any worry of their books being called out.

Just trying to be fair.

True - it works against them financially, which will probably ensure they will never have a disclosure notation.

:roflmao:

:baiting:

I know I know.. .

YELLOW (gold) LABEL:

Signature Series (category opened up to include submissions of collectibles authenticated by handwriting experts to document historic signatures, thus eliminating the self-serving appearance of CGC controlled signings)

No, thank you. And it's never going to happen either.

So you wouldn't want a Kirby, Simon, Kane, etc. signature to be able to be authenticated in a CGC case, just hammered as a defect or a GLOD? Never understood this opinion. There are professionals who are supposedly good at this and well-respected in other hobbies. Why not ours?

YELLOW (gold) LABEL:

Signature Series (category opened up to include submissions of collectibles authenticated by handwriting experts to document historic signatures, thus eliminating the self-serving appearance of CGC controlled signings)

So you wouldn't want a Kirby, Simon, Kane, etc. signature to be able to be authenticated in a CGC case, just hammered as a defect or a GLOD? Never understood this opinion. There are professionals who are supposedly good at this and well-respected in other hobbies. Why not ours?

Good point.

YELLOW (gold) LABEL:

Because the beauty of the SS program is that it's completely black & white - the signature was either witnessed by a CGC employee or CAW (= yellow label) or it was not (= green label).

After-the-fact signature verification is spurious at best - with the way the SS system is set up right now, there's zero guesswork or uncertainty when you're buying a yellow label book.

YELLOW (gold) LABEL:

Because the beauty of the SS program is that it's completely black & white - the signature was either witnessed by a CGC employee or CAW (= yellow label) or it was not (= green label).

After-the-fact signature verification is spurious at best - with the way the SS system is set up right now, there's zero guesswork or uncertainty when you're buying a yellow label book.

What if I told you that I know the person who had this book signed, I know the convention where the signature took place, and I am pretty sure a photograph exists of it getting signed...

mm14.jpg

...fairly concrete, huh?

But I also understand the need for The CGC to tightly control the Signature Series label. And I really have no problem with it. I do think it's a shame that real and fake autographs all get lumped together in the encapsulation process though.

Fat chance of that happening. Why would they sabotage their own business?