• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do i do with my collection?

31 posts in this topic

Need the help of some boardies with this one.

I just accepted a position where I will be deployed to the Pacific for at least the next two years.

I will not be able to take my comic collection with me, nor would I want to, as the humiditiy and salt air would be murder on them.

So what do I do with them?

I am debating on whether I should sell it all off (minus a handful of critical books that i will never let go of), or should i leave it in storage?

Without being able to check in on it for a couple of years, I am hesitant to leave it in storage just in case it floods, or catches fire or something.

This isnt a real high dollar collection. The high dollar books i would be keeping in the safe deposit box. Mostly 90's and newer. Most expensive book is probably $200-300

Whole collection consists of around 2000 books

I could leave it with my family here, but i doubt it would stay intact.

Opinions?

A storage unit for 2 years could cost more than the 90's books are even worth. If you cannot find free storage (family or friends) then I'd dump it. Why throw good money after bad?

Where I live, most storage centers are built at higher elevations that the rest of the city (I live in a riverfront city that ocassionally floods), that may be true in your area. If you are concerned about flooding, I would get a storage unit, put up some shelving and put your books into Rubbermade totes for some added protection.

I don't think I'd go through the trouble of selling off my books if I'm going to want to come back to them in a few years.

I would worry more about the staples rusting on the high dollar value books while sitting in that safety deposit box personally. In any case, I'd sell what I can and just leave the rest with family. Assuming your family respects your stuff to leave it alone while you're gone.

What are you doing with the rest of your possesions? I assume you have furniture, winter clothes, electronics and stuff. 2,000 books fits into ten long boxes, which means you need a space two boxes wide and five high.

If you really only have a very few possessions to store while gone, that many books doesn't sound as if it'll take up too much room. Either you can get the smallest storage unit you can cheep (get an indoor, heated and ac one, no outdoor stuff) or surely you have a trusted friend that would offer to let a closet be occupied for a couple years?

It would be one thing asking a friend to store a room's worth of comics, but these don't sound like too huge of a footprint.

If you dont think you can trust anyone to keep it intact. Just sell them. Re-buy the books you want when you get back. Your tastes may change between then and now .

As someone said , storage would be a waste of money . You never know what would happen to them in the 2 years you are gone. If you have someone check on them you run the risk of them being taken . Which harkens back to your orignal dilema .

Why?

Sure, get rid of them now, and then in 3 years spend the next 20 years saying you wished you had never gotten rid of them!

It's not like they are rare golden age books. He could probably buy them back for less than half what he paid by scouring Craigslist for a couple months.

If you can find a storage unit by family members you can trust, and the cost is reasonable enough, I would go this route.

When I was stationed in Europe for three years, this is what I did and the cost was very reasonable compared to the discomfort I would have had in dumping them in someone's basement and wondering about dampness damage or other concerns.

But with 2,000 books, that doesn't sound like it requires a lot of room. Are we talking about 7 long boxes?

Mostly 90's and newer.

Opinions?

hm Just put it in a storage locker or the attic (or basement) :grin:

Put it in a storage locker, don't pay, have it come up on Storage Wars, then one schmuck will out bid another schmuck for crazy money thinking they've hit a stash of Action #1s, and then they will be ridiculed by anyone that appraises this stuff. You'll have waaay for fun this way and leave a lasting legacy to many.

Need the help of some boardies with this one.

I just accepted a position where I will be deployed to the Pacific for at least the next two years.

I will not be able to take my comic collection with me, nor would I want to, as the humiditiy and salt air would be murder on them.

So what do I do with them?

I am debating on whether I should sell it all off (minus a handful of critical books that i will never let go of), or should i leave it in storage?

Without being able to check in on it for a couple of years, I am hesitant to leave it in storage just in case it floods, or catches fire or something.

This isnt a real high dollar collection. The high dollar books i would be keeping in the safe deposit box. Mostly 90's and newer. Most expensive book is probably $200-300

Whole collection consists of around 2000 books

Opinions?

Hello,

Your best bet is CLIMATE CONTROLLED storage (note that is should be climate controlled; NOT just temperature contolled). This kind of storage will cost about $100-$120 for a 10 by 10 room. Is this doable for you?

If not, try to geta 5 by 5, but do NOT go without climate control.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

A storage unit for 2 years could cost more than the 90's books are even worth. If you cannot find free storage (family or friends) then I'd dump it. Why throw good money after bad?

+1

Otherwise just give the age appropriate ones to a family member or friend with kids.

You might want to consider packing them in short boxes,

sealing the boxes with lots of tape, labeling them with

your name and box number, and storing them with a

family member. That could decrease the chances that

some get read, trashed, or disappear. Anything that

happens is something you can see as soon as you

get back.

Sell them :)

I was collecting during those periods and whilst I enjoyed them, I'd take the money and keep a very small amount that you enjoy.

It would be a great time to have a break and downsize, and buy back as trades or singles later whilst giving you the opportunity to really focus on what you actually want to own, rather than be compelled to keep.

How often would you read them again?