• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Heck, they are characters that virtually no one inside of comics has heard of either. :D

This has box office bust written all over it. Characters no one has heard of, no big stars, and a director that has never made a successful movie.

I'm not saying it can't succeed, but I think that failure is the more likely outcome.

I think the general public is going to have fun at this movie - and I'm really interested to see the reaction to a group of characters that virtually no one outside of comics has ever heard of. GotG is marketing heavily on each of the characters, which I think is going to make a big difference when the film hits theaters.

There was another film in a similar situation 37 years ago called Star Wars.

:gossip:

Heck, they are characters that virtually no one inside of comics has heard of either. :D

This has box office bust written all over it. Characters no one has heard of, no big stars, and a director that has never made a successful movie.

I'm not saying it can't succeed, but I think that failure is the more likely outcome.

I think the general public is going to have fun at this movie - and I'm really interested to see the reaction to a group of characters that virtually no one outside of comics has ever heard of. GotG is marketing heavily on each of the characters, which I think is going to make a big difference when the film hits theaters.

+1

Slither made money and is a horror fan favorite. James Gunn may not be well-known to comic and scifi geeks, but he's been a popular guy around horror circles for a lot of years.

Above all, I can't imagine looking at the marketing methods of GotG and thinking it's going to be a flop. It remains to be seen what kind of numbers it does, but it won't be a bust. That much is certain.

Daredevil's marketing was huge - and it paid off. It got people in the seats. And the movie sucked, but it went on to be a blockbuster. It's all about the first weekend and driving people into the theaters. GotG is doing almost the very same thing (I've yet to see GotG Doritos, though).

I have to say... I like these trailers. They are releasing enough information in the trailers to continue to spark my interest, yet not enough to spoil the movie.

The banter between Rocket Raccoon, Groot and Starlord look like they may add to the overall tone of the movie rather than detract from it.

Man, the UK trailer is great. They really captured Peter Quill's character well: a hopeful smart@ss. I can't speak for regular audiences - but for fans of the books, it sure looks like they gave all the characaters dimension.

this is the first trailer that has given me hope; i thought the others were awful. you are essentially betting against the Marvel brand with your statement. i'd be very surprised if it doesn't do $150mm domestic and if the reviews are good, even with an August release date, $200mm isn't out of the realm of possibility.

people who think guardians is going to do bad are, no offense, completely out of touch with reality. Rocket Raccoon & kids, alone will drive this movie and its merchandising to the moon, and that would be true even if it were Green Lantern level bad.

But, the fact that it will be a good movie on top of the rest, means, better get used to it. It's going to be Rocket Raccoon from August 1st until Halloween, when you are buying your kids rocket costumes. Guaranteed mega-hit, and I'd be surprised if it does anything less than Cap/Thors 700M. Wouldnt even be surprised if it breaks 1B.

Man, the UK trailer is great. They really captured Peter Quill's character well: a hopeful smart@ss. I can't speak for regular audiences - but for fans of the books, it sure looks like they gave all the characaters dimension.

Agreed.

I came very late to the marvel cosmic party reading everything from Thanos Quest forward with the online unlimited account. The series is quite good and I am really hoping it is a big hit not because of any financial interest in the books but because I want to see more of Marvel cosmic realized on screen.

The Annihilation events would be amazing.

I am really hoping it is a big hit not because of any financial interest in the books but because I want to see more of Marvel cosmic realized on screen.

+1

I've been waiting for Marvel to get their cosmic properties on-screen for 20 years. I agree, and I hope it kills at the box office so they keep going with the cosmic stuff.

Lucas had made American Graffiti before Star Wars. 115 million in 1973 was nothing to sneeze at. It was the 2nd highest grossing film of the year.

people who think guardians is going to do bad are, no offense, completely out of touch with reality. Rocket Raccoon & kids, alone will drive this movie and its merchandising to the moon, and that would be true even if it were Green Lantern level bad.

But, the fact that it will be a good movie on top of the rest, means, better get used to it. It's going to be Rocket Raccoon from August 1st until Halloween, when you are buying your kids rocket costumes. Guaranteed mega-hit, and I'd be surprised if it does anything less than Cap/Thors 700M. Wouldnt even be surprised if it breaks 1B.

I hope it does great, but I don't share your optimism. The legions of parents bringing their kids to every Disney animated film might not be as enthusiastic as you are about a machine-gun toting raccoon.

Lucas had made American Graffiti before Star Wars. 115 million in 1973 was nothing to sneeze at. It was the 2nd highest grossing film of the year.

That meant nothing to Fox, who was prepared to yank the movie from him at the 11th hour.

Peace,

Chip

I hope it does great, but I don't share your optimism. The legions of parents bringing their kids to every Disney animated film might not be as enthusiastic as you are about a machine-gun toting raccoon.

I wish that were true, I really do, sadly, our culture is what it is. With the amount of kids dressing up in ironman and thor suits already, Guardians is no more violent.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

"You just want to suck the joy out of everything."

Peace,

Chip

:applause:

This looks amazing!

This is what they should have done first, and not those trailers with the terrible music.

Peace,

Chip

This looks amazing!

This is what they should have done first, and not those trailers with the terrible music.

I respectfully disagree ... the two first trailers were humorous and different and less specific about the characters and story. The three trailers in succession tell a story, drawing in folks with no clue about GoG with humor, nostalgia and curiosity.

This film will make more than Spidey 2 domestically. Curious about how it plays internationally, but my guess is well.

Peace,

Chip

This looks amazing!

I respectfully disagree ... the two first trailers were humorous and different and less specific about the characters and story. The three trailers in succession tell a story, drawing in folks with no clue about GoG with humor, nostalgia and curiosity.

This film will make more than Spidey 2 domestically. Curious about how it plays internationally, but my guess is well.

one man's opinion: they weren't. everything Star-Lord did or said came off as annoying. this trailer was far superior in that the stupid mess was only at the end.

The only things I know about Slither is from wiki, but it doesn't sound like it made money to me--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slither_(2006_film)

"Slither was "a box office flop",[2] the production budget taking up about $15 million of the total.[22] following its debut in the United States and Canada on March 31, 2006 in 1,945 theaters. In its opening weekend, the film grossed $3,880,270 and ranked #8 at the U.S. and Canadian box office.[2] Slither grossed $7,802,450 in its theatrical run in the United States and Canada."

Yes, GotG has been heavily marketed. That raises the bar for what will be required for it to be a successful, profitable movie. Daredevil pulled in $100 million and made some money. I'm guessing that the number GotG needs to hit to be profitable is quite a bit higher than $100 million.

[+1

Slither made money and is a horror fan favorite. James Gunn may not be well-known to comic and scifi geeks, but he's been a popular guy around horror circles for a lot of years.

Above all, I can't imagine looking at the marketing methods of GotG and thinking it's going to be a flop. It remains to be seen what kind of numbers it does, but it won't be a bust. That much is certain.

Daredevil's marketing was huge - and it paid off. It got people in the seats. And the movie sucked, but it went on to be a blockbuster. It's all about the first weekend and driving people into the theaters. GotG is doing almost the very same thing (I've yet to see GotG Doritos, though).