• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Pffft I'm buying. This movie is going to put Guardians up there with Avengers

A wise-cracking raccoon didnt shoot off warning bells? Its gonna be epically bad. Trust old Kav.

A wise-cracking raccoon didnt shoot off warning bells? Its gonna be epically bad. Trust old Kav.

Have you been smoking the Jimmy L. plants??

This movie is a Kids dream. The Raccoon is the icing.

It will be big (thumbs u

Like ODB said ..." Wu-Tang Guardians of the Galaxy is for the kids "

Even kids have a BS meter-still have yet to find one kid that like Green Lantern

Sell your guardians books now boys while they're at their peak cause theyre gonna green lantern after this baby comes out.....

The early tracking numbers for the film are putting it opening somewhere around the $60 million mark, with some tracking sites as high as the $70 million mark. For reference, the 1st Thor movie opened at $65 million on the way to a $446 million worldwide take -- if Guardians can pull in similar numbers, with a relatively similar budget ($170 million vs. Thor's $150 million), then I would guess that Disney/Marvel will be thrilled.

That would make this a far cry from Green Lantern, which had a far higher budget ($200 million), less of an opening weekend than what's Guardians is tracking at ($53 million), and that barely broke $220 million worldwide (whereas, Marvel's movie machine has been crushing worldwide -- the Thor sequel did well over $400 million outside the U.S. alone).

So, yeah -- other than they're both based on space-based comic book properties, there's nothing so far in what the box office indicators are showing to suggest this will do anything close to a Green Lantern-style performance, unless WOM is absolutely terrible -- and based on what people who've seen the extended preview looks have been saying, that's probably not going to be the case.

We'll know for sure in a couple of weeks. I was skeptical at the start that this would be a success and had guessed that it would be Marvel's first misfire -- and it still might end up like that -- but the last couple of trailers have me sold on seeing it, and there seems to be a buzz building around it that suggests that it should do a lot better than anyone would have guessed a few years ago that a Guardians of the Galaxy movie could do. Truly, we live in a great era for comic book movies. :cloud9:

Just saw a preview of this and it looks craptacular-looks like they're going for the cheap laffs rather than distinctive plot or characterizations

The same character types you see in any lo-grade movies-the smart aleck, the tough guy, the chick with attitude-they're all here.

Sell your guardians books now boys while they're at their peak cause theyre gonna green lantern after this baby comes out.....

you just described every marvel movie

It will be big (thumbs u

Just read that Monday July 21st Jimmy Kimmel will be Guardians of the Galaxy night.

Dont see anythign lised on my TV Guide for it.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Guardians-Galaxy-Take-Over-Jimmy-Kimmel-Live-Monday-66296.html

Guardians Of The Galaxy Will Take Over Jimmy Kimmel Live On Monday

After storming into The View and The Colbert Report, Marvel has announced plans for the Guardians of the Galaxy to take over ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live on Monday July 21st.

In a press release, Marvel promised Guardians of the Galaxy stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel and Bradley Cooper will appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live on the same night as the superhero adventure's worldwide premiere. Along with this enticing ensemble, the Monday episode will also boast exclusive bonus content.

Yeah, sign me the eff up for Howard. :)

As far as Kav's ill-advised GL comparison...one basic thing that puts Guardians way on top :

GL - a "supposed" Space Epic stupidly set mostly on Earth.

Guardians - a Space Epic set mostly in space.

Who'da thunk it?

Peace,

Chip

It will be big (thumbs u

:whee:

:headbang:

Yeah, that was the one posted the other day that mentioned Howard the Duck.

HOWARD THE DUCK - in Guardians of the Galaxy??

Why not?

Because there is no way a raccoon would allow a duck even close to his spaceship. Not even within the same space sector.

Have you not read the full 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' yet?

I haven't been this excited to see a comic book movie since the first X-Men. I think this may finally be something new from the genre.

I haven't been this excited to see a comic book movie since the first X-Men. I think this may finally be something new from the genre.

+1,000,000

Man, wasn't the first X-Men hype awesome? The way GotG rolled out reminds me of that. It's very cool. In terms of anticipation of GotG I rank it on a short list of movies I was anxiously waiting for when I was younger:

Empire Strikes Back

Ghostbusters

Return of the Jedi

Star Trek: First Contact

X-Men