• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

For reference, an opening of $68 million -- on what's looking like the low end of the tracking numbers -- would have Guardians beating the 1st Captain America and Thor movies, as well as Sony's 1st Amazing Spider-Man reboot film. That a property that was (and is) relatively unknown in mainstream circles could possibly outshine Marvel's "flagship character" in itself is pretty amazing if it happens.

The first Captain America and Thor movies were not as heavily marketed, and the MCU is generally much more popular after the Avengers film. I think the take from WTS and Thor 2 is proof of that as they did much better than the originals. Going to be really interesting to see if it can draw the interest of the general public. I think there's already enough of a fan base that $50m opening weekend should be easy. But the studio I'm sure is hoping for the $400-$500m range worldwide so it will need some holding power.

For reference, an opening of $68 million -- on what's looking like the low end of the tracking numbers -- would have Guardians beating the 1st Captain America and Thor movies, as well as Sony's 1st Amazing Spider-Man reboot film. That a property that was (and is) relatively unknown in mainstream circles could possibly outshine Marvel's "flagship character" in itself is pretty amazing if it happens.

The first Captain America and Thor movies were not as heavily marketed, and the MCU is generally much more popular after the Avengers film. I think the take from WTS and Thor 2 is proof of that as they did much better than the originals. Going to be really interesting to see if it can draw the interest of the general public. I think there's already enough of a fan base that $50m opening weekend should be easy. But the studio I'm sure is hoping for the $400-$500m range worldwide so it will need some holding power.

if this only does $400mm WW that's a huge disappointment. China is good for $100mm itself.

Man, that gave my inner child chills.

If there's one thing these movies do, they take me back to when I was 8 years old sitting down with a pile of awesome comics on a Saturday afternoon.

I can't wait for this.

Peace,

Chip

First mention of Thanos that ive heard in the trailers so far...

this flick is gonna be awesome.

That's a really good point. They slipped that in so casually, yet it is a big mention for future developments.

:whee:

Man, that gave my inner child chills.

If there's one thing these movies do, they take me back to when I was 8 years old sitting down with a pile of awesome comics on a Saturday afternoon.

I can't wait for this.

Peace,

Chip

Yes, I felt the exact same way. :headbang: I can't wait, I'm all in for this one.

WOW!

(thumbs u

That's really awesome. I feel bad for anyone who could see that extended clip and not think how insanely fun that movie is likely to be. 11 more days...

Easter eggs and graphics-I'm not liking the sound of this

Any plot? Like, not re-hashed cliches plot?

Ironic...sorta like rehashed posts.

Or kinda like scattered, smothered, & covered hash browns.

(worship)(worship)(worship)

I saw that extended clip on TV last night (towards the end of Fast Five on TNT at about 10:30pm last night) and wow.

Very glad I have my 7pm 7/31 Imax tickets already. The theater I frequent tends to sell out quick for super hero / comic related movies.

When I saw the first Guardians trailer, I graded it about a C+ because the jokes weren't really that funny. Only the "What a bunch of a-holes" line really told me it had potential.

Now it just looks like it has the right combination of cynicism, humor, action, and weirdness to make you care about the characters and have a great time at the movies. The fact that we can sympathize with each of them in this latest clip helps, too -- we need to care to have the movie work!

Gunn's Guardians...I won't miss it!

Dan

ps - things I liked -- Rocket's anti-authoritarian attitude, the shot of the Kyln, Quill's passion for his Earth heritage, Gamora's complex motivations regarding the orb, the reference to "the mad Titan" Thanos, and Groot's generosity and desire to please Rocket...quite a lot, actually.

When James Gunn wants to make a point, he :censored: makes it clear and attention-getting.

James Gunn Dismisses GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: PLANET HULK Rumors As "Bullsh*t"

-------------------------------------

"I can answer that question very easily: it is absolute, 100% wildly_fanciful_statement. It feels like a great relief to finally say this after all the dumb stuff on the Internet.""There's not going to be a 'Planet Hulk' movie, there was never going to be a 'Planet Hulk' movie, there was never plan for the Hulk to team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy – I wouldn't want the Hulk to team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy! And it's all a bunch of complete wildly_fanciful_statement."

-------------------------------------

I guess he has made that clear.

lol

ps - things I liked -- Rocket's anti-authoritarian attitude, the shot of the Kyln, Quill's passion for his Earth heritage, Gamora's complex motivations regarding the orb, the reference to "the mad Titan" Thanos, and Groot's generosity and desire to please Rocket...quite a lot, actually.

Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's writing for GotG in the 2008 series is amazing. Much like Joss Whedon, Abnett (and to an extent, Lanning as well) really handles the ensemble/team dynamic well. In my view, what really elevates their work is that by the time you read GotG #25, you feel that the Guardians are a family much more than team-mates.

The movie looks like it nailed all the things that made the 2008 series on of the best Marvel has produced in many years - I think that's going to translate well to people who are not familiar with the GotG stuff.