• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

So Captain America Winter Soldier... I went into it with high expectations and was blown away. New favorite Marvel movie!! Then GotG... I once again went into it with super high exceptions. Blown away again.... New favorite movie part 2. Marvel is two for two this year for me. I wish somehow, someway Sony and Fox would lose those rights.

I am going again with my son tomorrow. I am as excited as I was the first time.

Just got back from GotG with a couple friends including boardie Matter Eater Lad - it was awesome and really fun. I wish I could have seen it with my stepson - so any boardies still waiting to see it with their kids - it's 100% worth it.

I loved it, it was just a great film. They really had fun with the characters and everyone meshed well. I'm thinking this one will have great word-of-mouth. I'll be counting down to the sequel.

Amazing amount of love for this movie. I don't think we've had reactions to a comic movie like this in a long time. Even with Avengers, there were a number of mixed reviews due to certain scenes (e.g. Iron Man's time spent spinning around and around in the SHIELD carrier engine for an extended period).

It sounds like many of us suspected. Even non-comic fans are loving the space opera -script and characters.

:applause:

Funny, entertaining movie which I'll watch again to spot easter eggs and further digest certain scenes.

Agree with the review below of Thanos, especially that his voice needs to be lower and bassier. Thanos' language and inflection should also be altered to better convey his cerebral, arrogant nature.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/movie-review-guardians-galaxy-2014

I know Box Office Mojo forecasted a $100 MM weekend after Thursday's results. It looks like others are also thinking $95 MM to $100 MM, or somewhere in between.

BOX OFFICE: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1 With $92M to $96M Opening Weekend

--------------------------

There appears to be no mountain high enough for James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy as it is having a monster day. As of right now, the current estimates have the full earning $36M to $38.5M on Friday (including $11.2M late night Thursday). That puts the Marvel film on pace for a $92M to $96M weekend. Keep in mind, that is fairly conservative as Deadline is basing their numbers on a possible 20% decline Saturday and Sunday. Though, that may not happen in this case as it has received an 'A' Cinemascore from audiences. Marvel, come and get your love!

I would think it is the other way around. Rather than a 20% decline, it is going to be an increase if so many come back for a second round to see this movie. That happened a lot with Avengers.

1). Guardians of the Galaxy (DIS), 4080 theaters / $36M+ to $38.5M Friday

3-day est. cume: $92M to $96M

2). Lucy (UNI), 3,202 theaters (+29) / $5.4M Fri.

3-day cume: $16.9M to $18M (-61%) / Total cume: $78.2M / Wk 2

3). Get On Up (UNI), 2,468 theaters / $5.2M to $6M Fri.

3-day cume: $15.4M to $16M / Wk 1

With all the reviews coming in on and off the boards, this seems more like a $95 MM to $110 MM movie at the domestic box office.

Time to start the tracking.

Boxoffice.com is saying 'GotG' has topped the 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' opening, making it a potential second $100 MM (+) for this year.

NORTH AMERICA: Friday Report: Will 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Hit $100M Opening Weekend?; 'Get On Up' Pacing for $15M (4th Update)

------------------------------

Friday, August 1 Update: Sources report that Guardians of the Galaxy amassed a stunning $11.2 million from Thursday shows that began at 7pm. That tops Captain America: The Winter Soldier's $10.2 million Thursday start, giving Guardians the best early bow of 2014.

While it's likely that this feat was aided by schools being out of session this time of year, there's no doubt that Disney and Marvel have a huge hit on their hands--not to mention a new A-list sub-franchise in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Friday Update #2: Multiple sources are reporting that Guardians of the Galaxy is pacing for a huge $38-40 million opening day (including Thursday night's preview grosses). If that number holds, and based on strong early word of mouth, we could be looking at the year's second $100 million opening weekend.

Please note that these are very early unconfirmed numbers, and West Coast evening business has only just begun as of this update's publishing. Either way, $90 million+ for what's shaping up to be the box office story of the summer (if not the year) looks like a certainty right now.

Disney executives that were involved in the Marvel merger must be doing a happy dance all the way to the corporate bank.

Interesting in that three of the box office tracking sites have upped their movie budget number to $170 MM for 'GotG' from the original $150 MM noted.

------------------------

Ultimately, word of mouth will determine whether or not Marvel Studios' tenth effort can exceed $200 million in North America and join the upper echelon of this summer's box office performers. Rumors of a production budget around $170 million persist, meaning a worldwide take of at least $425-450 million is needed to ensure a profitable theatrical run. That shouldn't be a difficult hurdle to climb with the booming overseas market, 3D surcharges, and Marvel's global appeal.

------------------------

So the magic profit number they are looking for is 2.5X of budget at the end of this movie's run. I think that will not be a problem with all this excitement.

Just got back from GotG with a couple friends including boardie Matter Eater Lad - it was awesome and really fun. I wish I could have seen it with my stepson - so any boardies still waiting to see it with their kids - it's 100% worth it.

I loved it, it was just a great film. They really had fun with the characters and everyone meshed well. I'm thinking this one will have great word-of-mouth. I'll be counting down to the sequel.

I need to take mine this weekend...wife wants to see a chick flick at the ratty dollar saver theater so i'll have to juggle that somehow.

That is NOT good news.

What's not good news? That they are making a Guardians of the Galaxy movie? I agree. :grin:

Gotta love all of the new GOTG fan boys. This movies is going to suck, the characters suck, and the comics series sucks.

I love reading early posts.

That is NOT good news.

What's not good news? That they are making a Guardians of the Galaxy movie? I agree. :grin:

Gotta love all of the new GOTG fan boys. This movies is going to suck, the characters suck, and the comics series sucks.

It is interesting when you go back and read all the posts of movies that are DEFINITELY going to suck - and they make it big afterwards.

:whee:

That is NOT good news.

And please remember that some people post that EVERYTHING sucks just to say "everything sucks" ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

Boxoffice.com is saying 'GotG' has topped the 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' opening, making it a potential second $100 MM (+) for this year.

NORTH AMERICA: Friday Report: Will 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Hit $100M Opening Weekend?; 'Get On Up' Pacing for $15M (4th Update)

Disney executives that were involved in the Marvel merger must be doing a happy dance all the way to the corporate bank.

Wow, this is absolutely nuts. You cannot say enough good things about Marvel and the way they've handled this. Think back to to the skepticism surrounding this film when it was first announced and now in its opening weekend its absolutely adored by the masses and comic book fans alike, very cool. Too bad it won't be available in my region until the 8th of August.... :cry:

That is NOT good news.

The movie is going to suck, the characters suck, and the comics series sucks.

This.

The 2008 series, the one they are using as the base for the movie, was one of the best Marvel produced at the time. Clever, sarcastic, plenty of self-deprecating humor. It got a lot of positive reviews even here on the boards.

And I agree with Drax not needing a great actor. His 2008 incarnation was not the most thoughtful person and grunting and yelling is he mostly did. I've never seen Bautista act but he's got the physique and maybe even the IQ to pull it off.

This.

I decided to go back and see what I'd said early on…

Is the 2008 series collected somewhere?

Wow, this is absolutely nuts. You cannot say enough good things about Marvel and the way they've handled this. Think back to to the skepticism surrounding this film when it was first announced and now in its opening weekend its absolutely adored by the masses and comic book fans alike, very cool. Too bad it won't be available in my region until the 8th of August.... :cry:

What makes it more amazing is 20 years ago, Marvel was so close the edge that you could buy their stock for pennies on the dollar.

This company has made a total turn around in that short amount (in the big scheme of things) of time.

This movie is a game changer for soooo many people.

Went to the late showing last night and all four of us loved it. My wife was planning seeing it again even before we got home. My sides hurt from all the laughing and it visually is a spectacular movie.