• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

That is NOT good news.

What's not good news? That they are making a Guardians of the Galaxy movie? I agree. :grin:

Gotta love all of the new GOTG fan boys. This movies is going to suck, the characters suck, and the comics series sucks.

I love reading early posts.

It is interesting when you go back and read all the posts of movies that are DEFINITELY going to suck - and they make it big afterwards.

:whee:

lol, curious if Hamlet will manup

Kav did

I'm not saying there was a chance that this film would have not done well, but there were lots of people pointing out that the source material the characters were based on were fan-favorite stories and loved by most. Most detractors of the film who said it was going to tank, etc - admittedly didn't read the books. They just assumed "what I read is cool, what you read sucks."

Hopefully Kav reads the awesome GotG 2008 series, because now I'm re-reading it after seeing the film.

Yep.

It's The Marvel Age of Comics Movies all over again! This time with a wider audience!

The same thing that happened in comics has happened in the movies.

At first Superman and Batman came on the scene to critical acclaim,then Marvel dominates and becomes the most popular.

Also if we look at the non-Marvel and DC comic book movies they had average mediocre box office results.

It`s Marvel, Batman and Superman being big in movies just like they were big in comic books.

So the translation is we keep buying the Marvel, Superman and Batman keys for future speculation, but be suspect on loading up on all those new modern number one Images!

:)

Couple o' Notes

1 - War of Kings would make sense if they are to explore Peter's alien Spartoi heritage. His father could be involved in a war with another king. Without some of the major players it would be heavily influenced but not directly revolved around the comic storyline.

2 - Perhaps the biggest surprise was Dave Bautista. I figured they would have had him simply brooding and sneering. Gunn was smart enough to realize his actor's capabilities and basically gave him wrestling lines to say. This allowed Bautista to come across as a better fit for the role.

3 - The dance in front of Ronan... a'la Lethal Weapon 4? Was anyone else reminded of when Riggs convinces Murtaugh to strip to his underwear and do a dance in front of the flame thrower guy to distract him?

4 - Rocket and Groot steal the show. Part of me wishes I had manned up and picked up a TTA13. Maybe prices will settle in a year or two for the copy I want.

5 - This is not a spoiler since we all know about the infinity gems by now. So what are we looking at? Loki had one in his staff, then there was the tesserect? (Or does Loki's staff gem not count?) There was the ether in Thor 2 and the gem in GotG. Are we to assume that the remaining two will be in Phase III and we will revisit the Asguardian armory to retrieve the gauntlet featured in the first Thor movie to house all of them?

Couple o' Notes

5 - This is not a spoiler since we all know about the infinity gems by now. So what are we looking at? Loki had one in his staff, then there was the tesserect? (Or does Loki's staff gem not count?) There was the ether in Thor 2 and the gem in GotG. Are we to assume that the remaining two will be in Phase III and we will revisit the Asguardian armory to retrieve the gauntlet featured in the first Thor movie to house all of them?

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure it was mentioned in The Avengers that Loki's staff was powered by the Tesseract (or the same power, or power source). Whichever gem that was, it would count for both.

At the end of The Avengers, didn't Thor use the Tesseract (singular) to teleport himself and the captive Loki back to Asgard, saying he was taking the Tesseract to Asgard for safe-keeping? They had captured Loki and his staff, so I'm guessing it was all part of the same gem.

And at the end of Thor 2, the Asgardians give the Aether to the collector because "it wouldn't be wise to keep 2 infinity stones so close together". Inferring that at that point, only 2 stones were discovered.

I guess this gives me an excuse to watch The Avengers again! :cloud9:

edit: so with Guardians of the Galaxy, we now have three stones, or gems, accounted for.

Couple o' Notes

4 - Rocket and Groot steal the show. Part of me wishes I had manned up and picked up a TTA13. Maybe prices will settle in a year or two for the copy I want.

I think a lot of people (myself included) are in the same boat :(

...And since I love answering myself ( :blush: ) I'm guessing Dr. Strange will have to do with a gem (The Eye of Agamotto in Asgard's vault?) and we saw what could be the cocoon of Adam Warlock in the Collector's lair, that may account for 2 more gems.

The sixth? hm Possibly the Black Panther movie?

edit: now that I think about it, if The Eye of Agamotto (if that's what it was) is an infinity gem, then Asgard does have 2 gems stored close together in their vault. Maybe they don't realize it?

Couple o' Notes

Aside from the 1st appearance thing - TTA 13 is a notoriously hard book to find in decent grade, and not a terribly common book to find at all. I'd been collecting Pre Code Monster books for years and didn't see them often even before the GotG stuff. I think there was some leveling off about 2 months ago for that book - but I think it took a big enough spike in value that it's not going to plummet, as lots of mainstream collectors are finding out the book is tough to find, and that will probably help it retain a lot of that hype value.

There's a great continuing thread in the Silver Age forum on PCM books and TTA 13.

What about the Avengers Thanos actor?

--------------------------

"[brolin's] going to kill it," said Damion. He continued, "They make smart choices over at Marvel. That’s one of the things that they do. They are always making intelligent choices on who they choose to do their roles."

:applause:

And what about his future at Marvel?

"Well, I’m talking to [Marvel] about [playing another character]. I don’t want to talk about that until such a time is permitted."

Couple o' Notes

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure it was mentioned in The Avengers that Loki's staff was powered by the Tesseract (or the same power, or power source). Whichever gem that was, it would count for both.

At the end of The Avengers, didn't Thor use the Tesseract (singular) to teleport himself and the captive Loki back to Asgard, saying he was taking the Tesseract to Asgard for safe-keeping? They had captured Loki and his staff, so I'm guessing it was all part of the same gem.

And at the end of Thor 2, the Asgardians give the Aether to the collector because "it wouldn't be wise to keep 2 infinity stones so close together". Inferring that at that point, only 2 stones were discovered.

edit: so with Guardians of the Galaxy, we now have three stones, or gems, accounted for.

Despite being a huge Infinity Gauntlet fan, I like how they explained what the stones were - and how they relate to each other. Instead of them controlling aspects of reality - they are powerful remnants of 6 different universes. (this explanation makes it easier for an audience to consume, I'll grant them that.)

The downside, as Matter Eater Lad pointed out last night - is that without a defining 'soul gem' - we may not see Adam Warlock, as his role in the Infinity Gauntlet centers around his knowledge of Thanos and the Soul Gem. :( I looked around for the cocoon in the Collector's shop, but saw nothing.

Couple o' Notes

Despite being a huge Infinity Gauntlet fan, I like how they explained what the stones were - and how they relate to each other. Instead of them controlling aspects of reality - they are powerful remnants of 6 different universes. (this explanation makes it easier for an audience to consume, I'll grant them that.)

The downside, as Matter Eater Lad pointed out last night - is that without a defining 'soul gem' - we may not see Adam Warlock, as his role in the Infinity Gauntlet centers around his knowledge of Thanos and the Soul Gem. :( I looked around for the cocoon in the Collector's shop, but saw nothing.

Say all other movies are cancelled with the exception of Avengers 2. That plot point could easily be rectified by saying that Thanos already has 'x' amount of the six stones.

Presently the Asguardians, The Nova Corps and the Collector each have an infinity stone. I don't think that people realize that the Collector lost the second stone he was trying to acquire. He still has the one that the Asguardians gave him for safekeeping.

Couple o' Notes

Aside from the 1st appearance thing - TTA 13 is a notoriously hard book to find in decent grade, and not a terribly common book to find at all. I'd been collecting Pre Code Monster books for years and didn't see them often even before the GotG stuff. I think there was some leveling off about 2 months ago for that book - but I think it took a big enough spike in value that it's not going to plummet, as lots of mainstream collectors are finding out the book is tough to find, and that will probably help it retain a lot of that hype value.

There's a great continuing thread in the Silver Age forum on PCM books and TTA 13.

Definitely good to know and perhaps I will bump it up a little bit on the priority list.

Saw the film last night and wow it blew away my expectations. No wonder the second has already been green lighted before the release. I have to admit I was VERY skeptical after the initial 2 trailers. The later trailer were better, but didn't exactly set the bar high. Glad Marvel proved me wrong.

Any one else surprised by the lack of a second credits scene? Usually there's the one humorous one and the other on upcoming events. I suppose you could somewhat interpret the scene as potentially fulfilling both roles, but very underwhelming compared to the one of the past.

Any one else surprised by the lack of a second credits scene? Usually there's the one humorous one and the other on upcoming events. I suppose you could somewhat interpret the scene as potentially fulfilling both roles, but very underwhelming compared to the one of the past.

By the sounds if it, if there were two end credit scenes that were amazing, all of our heads would explode. James Gunn would have been responsible for the single greatest population decline since the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event.

Just in case people missed my comment earlier, that graphic with all the Marvel film logos on it is FAKE. It was fan-made from someone on Reddit and was debunked quite some time ago.

A second point I saw addressed as well that needs clarification...Loki's staff was NOT a gem nor did it have a gem in it. We've only seen three of the Infinity Stones so far.

Peace,

Chip

These reviews are not good. Almost always when I read glowing reviews like that I'm not blown away. .. often disappointed. ..I will try to work on lowering my expectations anyway. ..;)

It totally sucked. You're going to love it.

Just in case people missed my comment earlier, that graphic with all the Marvel film logos on it is FAKE. It was fan-made from someone on Reddit and was debunked quite some time ago.

A second point I saw addressed as well that needs clarification...Loki's staff was NOT a gem nor did it have a gem in it. We've only seen three of the Infinity Stones so far.

Peace,

Chip

Thanks for the clarification. I originally posted the banner, and was doubtful, but posted it anyway as a War of Kings inspired movie might makes sense with the revelation about Peter Quill's lineage at the end of the movie from both the Nova Corp's and Yondu.

As far as the Infinity gems that was a conversation we all had in the car ride, exactly how many have been revealed. I will pass it along.