• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

My wife and I went and saw it last night. It was completely sold out on a Tuesday night. Both of us loved it. It was probably the most humorous marvel movie yet. Drax cracked me up with all his misunderstandings of metaphors.

Latest Tracking Data Indicates A $65M Opening For GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

-------------------------

Marvel's confidence in Guardians of the Galaxy became clear when they announced that a sequel will follow in 2017, and the latest box office tracking data indicates that they have every right to feel that way! Disney are now projecting an opening of around $65 million, but other analysts believe that the James Gunn movie will reach upwards of $70 million or more. It doesn't have much in the way of competition, and The Avengers effect should still be felt says Dave Hollis, Walt Disney Studios’ executive vice president of theatrical distribution.

-------------------------

I say $75 MM domestic to start.

I'm going ALL IN... on this one.

I think the added exposure of Rocket will get the parents and kids out in droves. This will become the last family event of the year before school opens back up in the fall ... hm

Rupp says $101 MM domestic from the 3800 screens including IMAX & 3D ! :sumo:

According to Box Office Mojo the film grossed a tad over $106 MM by August 4th.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel2014a.htm

I must pat myself on the back and say "damn I was close" :acclaim:

I saw the movie on Sunday and absolutely loved it.

I have a friend (KK is his name) and he self proclaimed years ago that "Star Wars ruined his life". He was 14 when A New Hope was released.

That statement meant it put him on a future trajectory to be a fan boy geek whose life would be intertwined with comics, toys and collectibles. A lifestyle that would affect his appearance, personality and life choices. He even named his first son Kal.

I can see what he meant in his statement. I loved SW too, which I saw at age 9. I had the action figures, playsets, bedsheets etc. My first comic that I bought as a "collector" was Star Wars #51 in 1981. I had comics from earlier years, but these were sporadic purchases by Mom or add ons whilst at the toy store. Star Wars #51 was different. ESB had came out the summer before and blew my mind and there on the spinner rack at Food City was Star Wars #51. Fifty cents later and I was hooked on comics. Had to have the Star Wars run. Then heard about the X-Men, then bought an Avengers comic and it just snowballed into the last 33 years involving the comic book hobby.

A lot of what I've read from folks compares this movie to being "this generation's Star Wars"... and a lot of people disagree with that. I think that in order to understand what will make GOTG the next Star Wars is to remember how it feels to be a 10 to 15 year old and the wonder of something new and different.

This movie will age well too. A lot of people have complained about the soundtrack. I personally think its was brilliant to do the 70's songs. Not just from a marketing ploy to bring in older viewers but also to the fact that "classic rock" eventually gets to a point, like classical music, where it doesn't age anymore. Great filmmakers know how to use music, take for example Tarantino. Now James Gunn hasn't mastered the use of music in film like ole Quinten has... but he's on the right track. :D

I can honestly see some of these 10 year olds going to see this movie and in 30 years... being the fat, sweaty dealer that buys all of our collections from our family members after our ashes have been scattered and prices them at 30% above retail at all the national shows. lol

If I was 10 again... this would be my Star Wars.

It's that kind of movie. ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

When my son and I came out of the movie he said that he was having so much fun he wished the movie was 3 hours long. I felt the same way, regular time stood still as we watched the movie.

That got me thinking.... Has anyone heard about deleted scenes from this movie? I would love to see a directors cut that added about 30 minutes to the movie.

Saw it yesterday with the family. We also brought my daughters friend.

I thought it was a very entertaining movie. As others have said, it was nice to see a pretty original idea instead of the same old, same old. It moved along at a good pace (although it was a tad too long) and had some good humor mixed in (agree about the Drax "over my head" line. Probably the best funny line in the movie.

It was definitely more Sci-Fi than comic book to me. Kind of Last Starfighter-ish. The Thanos scene was my favorite part. I thought he looked really good. It was great to see my daughter recognize him from the Avengers.

It was well received by my daughter and her friend, although some of it was a little intense. My daughter liked Gamora best (but she always likes the female characters best). They both loved Groot. Rocket was a hit as well (I liked him the best). The swearing was minimal and didn't bother me (my daughter has heard worse plenty of times). A little bit violent but, as others have said, no blood and/or splatter. Typical comic book movie level.

My wife thought it was decent, but she's not a big Sci-Fi person. She said, "it was good, but too many weird characters. Not my cup of tea." But, she was entertained. Rocket, of course, was her favorite.

I thought Pratt was very good in the lead role. He's definitely a bona fide superstar now (GOTG and Lego). The dancing at the beginning had my daughter and her friend laughing a lot. The distraction dance at the end was really lame. Good soundtrack to the movie.

Overall, I thought it was a really sold effort. It was an entertaining film, and I certainly felt like I got my $$$ worth. But it wasn't as good as The Avengers or Iron Man or the first 2 Raimi Spidey's. I'd put it on the same level as Thor2 or Cap2. As usual, you guys overhyped it (blood loss from your brains due to fanboy boners :baiting:).

I'd give it a B+ and will go and see the second one. If I was 9-13, I'd probably think it was the greatest movie ever. A big win for Marvel. I can definitely see this franchise being big for awhile.

A few other random thoughts:

-First time I've seen a 3D movie. It was pretty cool, but hurt my eyes/head. Hard to focus for me. I prefer non-3D. Especially for the price.

-Would have liked a little more insight into Thanos ultimate plan (even though we all know where it's headed).

-The after credits scene wasn't great.

-I think it was Warlock in The Collectors chamber

-Special effects were really good. CGI was top notch.

-Nice casting job

That is NOT good news.

What's not good news? That they are making a Guardians of the Galaxy movie? I agree. :grin:

One more thing....above is what I posted when this thread was started.

I was totally wrong about the movie.

Here's what I want to know. How has Quill kept his Walkman running after all these years??? It was never explained in the movie. Does he just stop in to the Galactic 7/11 and pick up some new batteries, or does he return to earth surreptitiously (had to look that one up) every once in a while to grab some new ones?

Here's what I want to know. How has Quill kept his Walkman running after all these years??? It was never explained in the movie. Does he just stop in to the Galactic 7/11 and pick up some new batteries, or does he return to earth surreptitiously (had to look that one up) every once in a while to grab some new ones?

lol "I'm willing to suspend my disbelief that a tiny purple gem could destroy worlds, and that there are enormous battle cruisers displaying unbelievable scientific wonders. Heck, I can even buy that a talking raccoon can build an anti-gravity device out of two fairly simple objects. But there is no way that there is a galactic Ray-O-Vac dispenser or a universal battery charger."

I'm sure with all the technology around that he (or someone else) had found a way to power the walkman without batteries or engineered some super powerful batteries. It is "primitive" technology after all.

I see this same question get asked, but nobody ever stops to ask how did he get a cassette deck in the ship? When he got abducted all he had was the Walkman. Meaning somebody knew how to put together a cassette player, by utilizing the Walkman's design, and how to power it in order for him to have one in his ship. If they could do that, then why wouldn't they have found a way to power his walkman?

lol "I'm willing to suspend my disbelief that a tiny purple gem could destroy worlds, and that there are enormous battle cruisers displaying unbelievable scientific wonders. Heck, I can even buy that a talking raccoon can build an anti-gravity device out of two fairly simple objects. But there is no way that there is a galactic Ray-O-Vac dispenser or a universal battery charger."

lol

lol

Made my day !

Did I hear the film hasn't been released in China?

International market releases so far.

jlrTVCKl.png

Seems like there is loads of growth ahead.

Not too many East African Guardians fans it appears :(