• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

more entertaining than the Avengers. the fact that these characters have no ponderous history allowed Gunn free reign to make a very good movie. i, for one, cannot remember reading a single issue of GOTG. my concern for the Star-Lord character based on the initial trailer was misguided. his back story drove the narrative. with Gunn at the helm, i have much more interest in seeing the sequel than the next Avengers movie.

I own the 2008 GOTG Series and don't remember it being anywhere near as fun as the movie. Just watched movie in IMAX for the 3rd time yesterday. Finally paid attention enough to see Howard the Duck in glass cage. Can't wait for sequel and extended version on blueray.

I'm re-reading it this week, and I wouldn't say it's as fun - but it's clearly the inspiration. The building of the team, the comradarie, etc - the vibe of that series is very much the tone of the film (the series has more characters in it, however).

Was reading the later issues again over the weekend, 5th or 6th time, I just love the Adam Warlock / Magus storyline. They would need an entire movie of its own to tell the Warlock story properly, I wish!

Yeah, me, too - I'm real happy that they did such a great job with Warlock in that title. The whole Universal Church of Truth/Magus stuff is great material in the hands of the right writers.

+1

I see the trade of the Abnett/Lanning issues comes out tomorrow. From the above posts, it sounds like it's worth picking up. How's the art?

So I just got off a one-week Disney Cruise and saw GOTG four (4) times. Disney owns Marvel so all Marvel Studios properties are shown as first run on the cruise and each showing in the very large, on-board stadium-seating theatre is "free" (after paying a king's ransom for the cruise, of course). I vividly remember coming out of the theatre after having watched Star Wars (episode IV) the first time as a 9-year-old, and I must say I had a similar feeling with GOTG. Kal-El described GOTG as "epic." I think that's near the mark if not spot on. The movie is fresh, original, vibrant, like something we have not seen in a very long time in this Hollywood era of reboots and sequels.

After each of those 4 viewings, the audiences --by and large the non-comic book crowd -- broke into applause. It will take time for a GOTG following to grow (see, e.g., Star Wars) particularly because these are largely unheard of characters, but I think it's very possible.

Now you can own your very own "Twig branch that resembles dancing groot".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUARDIANS-OF-THE-GALAXY-TWIG-BRANCH-THAT-RESEMBLES-DANCING-GROOT-/261553193720?pt=Floral_Decor&hash=item3ce5c902f8

Does not come with vase. :roflmao:

That is awesome. I love the description:

Item for auction: Twig branch that resembles GROOT from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Picked up on the side of the road.

Resembles Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Twig/Branch is sold AS IS. It does not include the white vase.

Will be sent well padded to prevent breakage. We cannot guarantee if twig/branch will grow to a full grown Groot. Item is sold AS IS.

Just got back from the movie. I really enjoyed it. I wasn't blown away though.

Had some childish scenes to be honest but I did really enjoy the dark and more serious parts. The Thanos scenes were awesome.

I'm a fan for sure but might need to see it again to get the full effect. The movie stopped mid way in the theatre and stopped for 10 minutes which kind of put a damper on things when it came back on. Strange...

Anyway, I'm excited to see where this all leads...

You summed up how I felt about the movie as well.

Now you can own your very own "Twig branch that resembles dancing groot".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUARDIANS-OF-THE-GALAXY-TWIG-BRANCH-THAT-RESEMBLES-DANCING-GROOT-/261553193720?pt=Floral_Decor&hash=item3ce5c902f8

Does not come with vase. :roflmao:

And, it will arrive safely and quickly too.

$17.45 Expedited Shipping

:facepalm:

We watched it this weekend and my brother and kids loved it. I though Pratt was excellent and Rocket was hilarious. The rest of the team was meh for me, Drax was funnier than expected.

I don't think that's Warlock in the red cape (collectors scene) and the soundtrack was great, especially the opening scene with Star-lord on the planet.

8 out of 10 for me

Saw it again today with my girlfriend.

Still don't see how anyone says they saw Beta Ray Bill or Warlock in that one tank. That was a guy wearing a red jumpsuit. You can clearly see him wearing red pants that match his shirt (that people are saying is a cape).

I only went by the pictures posted since I have not seen this movie yet. But I can see what you are talking about with the red jumpsuit look.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY – Is this Beta Ray Bill?

beta-ray-bill.jpg

Dark Elf

vlcsnap-2014-08-04-22h08m11s9_thumb.png

Cosmo

vlcsnap-2014-08-04-22h11m54s203_thumb.png

Adam Warlock's cocoon

vlcsnap-2014-08-04-22h12m47s187_thumb1.png

I saw the movie a second time this weekend, and paid particular attention to this character. To me, it definitely looked like an orange humanoid in a red jumpsuit/red shirt and pants. Kind like the pic below of Beta Ray Bill. hm

thor-mighty-simonson-1-form.jpg

I posted the same image afterwards once I saw that photo.

:applause:

But it could go either way. So time will tell.

Anyone else see the GotG leaked concept art for Nova ? At some point I guess they were considering him for the movie.

Saw it, and thought the same thing. Why would they waste time on a concept sketch if the character wasn't even being considered?

Anyone else see the GotG leaked concept art for Nova ? At some point I guess they were considering him for the movie.

Saw it, and thought the same thing. Why would they waste time on a concept sketch if the character wasn't even being considered?

My take on it could be that the Guardians were released to stop Ronan with a member of the Nova Corp's (Richard Rider) to oversee their actions. I could see the -script working in that direction.

Eventually though.

Just got back from the movie. I really enjoyed it. I wasn't blown away though.

Had some childish scenes to be honest but I did really enjoy the dark and more serious parts. The Thanos scenes were awesome.

I'm a fan for sure but might need to see it again to get the full effect. The movie stopped mid way in the theatre and stopped for 10 minutes which kind of put a damper on things when it came back on. Strange...

Anyway, I'm excited to see where this all leads...

You summed up how I felt about the movie as well.

What were the childish scenes?

more entertaining than the Avengers. the fact that these characters have no ponderous history allowed Gunn free reign to make a very good movie. i, for one, cannot remember reading a single issue of GOTG. my concern for the Star-Lord character based on the initial trailer was misguided. his back story drove the narrative. with Gunn at the helm, i have much more interest in seeing the sequel than the next Avengers movie.

I own the 2008 GOTG Series and don't remember it being anywhere near as fun as the movie. Just watched movie in IMAX for the 3rd time yesterday. Finally paid attention enough to see Howard the Duck in glass cage. Can't wait for sequel and extended version on blueray.

I'm re-reading it this week, and I wouldn't say it's as fun - but it's clearly the inspiration. The building of the team, the comradarie, etc - the vibe of that series is very much the tone of the film (the series has more characters in it, however).

Was reading the later issues again over the weekend, 5th or 6th time, I just love the Adam Warlock / Magus storyline. They would need an entire movie of its own to tell the Warlock story properly, I wish!

Yeah, me, too - I'm real happy that they did such a great job with Warlock in that title. The whole Universal Church of Truth/Magus stuff is great material in the hands of the right writers.

+1

I see the trade of the Abnett/Lanning issues comes out tomorrow. From the above posts, it sounds like it's worth picking up. How's the art?

gotg+issue+7+003.jpg

Wow that is great!

So the title is worth picking up? Could I jump in right now and figure it out?

didn't this series end 4 years ago?

There is a Marvel NOW series currently on issue 17 I believe.

It is not as good