• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

BOX OFFICE: 5 Reasons 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Became Summer's Biggest Domestic Blockbuster

--------------------

A Summer of Franchises Without Momentum

Frequent readers may recall our series of previews in which we broke down the advantages of perceived favorites to come out on top this summer. Notably, Guardians wasn't given the individual feature treatment in that column due to its nature as a wild card, although we long felt it had $200 million+ potential.

As far back as last year, however, we alluded to Summer 2014's dubious roster--specifically, the lack of top-tier blockbuster franchises at the peak of audience goodwill. Unfortunately, that prognostication came true: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Transformers: Age of Extinction continued their respective series' downward trends at the domestic box office with 22.5 percent and 31 percent revenue declines from their predecessors.

Even How to Train Your Dragon 2--despite zero animated competition, strong reception, and the first film's universal adoration--underperformed in its stateside performance after being considered the heavy favorite to win the season. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and 22 Jump Street were partial exceptions, and represent two very bright spots of the past few months, but neither were considered challengers for the summer throne.

On top of all that, most expectations for Guardians before release peaked at a $150-175 million run--and far less in the months before buzz became too impossible to ignore. That's an important perspective to keep if anyone writes this box office story away as a mere beneficiary of a weak market. By the time August rolled around, many audiences were yearning for a crowd-pleasing, family-friendly popcorn movie. Gunn and Marvel gave it to them.

--------------------

There's your biggest reason. There is little to distract theater customers from wanting to go back and see Guardians again over this other mess of movies. Gunn and the cast members delivered superbly, while the other productions counted on long-established franchises to carry the day.

James Gunn Confirms Adam Warlock's Cocoon For Guardians of the Galaxy & Thor 2

------------------

"Many people may look up to the right of The Collector. As we first see The Collector, we push in on him and you will see a certain duck named Howard that turns to look at the group. That's one of my favorite little things. The background there is the Slither creatures from my movie Slither behind The Collector; those guys are pretty obvious. You have Adam Warlock's cocoon. You have also sorts of characters from other Marvel movies. The Dark Elf back there, who is played by Doug Jones, who is one of our stunt guys that had the Dark Elf make-up on. So you had a lot of different guys in the background."

Gunn also adds that The Collector has more than one "museum," with the one shown in Guardians of the Galaxy being the Knowhere "wing."

------------------

:whee:

#1, Sin City officially the biggest bust of the summer

1). Guardians of the Galaxy (DIS), 3,371 theaters (-326) / $4.7M to $4.9M Fri. / 3-day cume: $17.2M to $17.6M / Total cume: $252M / Wk 4

2/3). Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (PAR), 3,864 theaters (-116) / $4.3M to $4.5M Friday / 3-day est. cume: $15.2M to $16.2M / Total est. cume: $145M / Wk 3

If I Stay (WB), 2,907 theaters / $6.3M to $6.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $15.5M to $16.5M / Wk 1

4/5). Let’s Be Cops (FOX), 3,140 theaters (+46) / $3.1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $9.7M to $10.3M (-45%) / Total cume: $44M / Wk 2

When the Game Stands Tall (SONY), 2,673 theaters / $2.8M to $3.1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $8M to $10M / Wk 1

6). Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (TWC), 2,894 theaters / $2.6M Fri. / $6M to $7M / Wk 1

BOX OFFICE: 5 Reasons 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Became Summer's Biggest Domestic Blockbuster

--------------------

Frequent readers may recall our series of previews in which we broke down the advantages of perceived favorites to come out on top this summer. Notably, Guardians wasn't given the individual feature treatment in that column due to its nature as a wild card, although we long felt it had $200 million+ potential.

As far back as last year, however, we alluded to Summer 2014's dubious roster--specifically, the lack of top-tier blockbuster franchises at the peak of audience goodwill. Unfortunately, that prognostication came true: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Transformers: Age of Extinction continued their respective series' downward trends at the domestic box office with 22.5 percent and 31 percent revenue declines from their predecessors.

Even How to Train Your Dragon 2--despite zero animated competition, strong reception, and the first film's universal adoration--underperformed in its stateside performance after being considered the heavy favorite to win the season. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and 22 Jump Street were partial exceptions, and represent two very bright spots of the past few months, but neither were considered challengers for the summer throne.

On top of all that, most expectations for Guardians before release peaked at a $150-175 million run--and far less in the months before buzz became too impossible to ignore. That's an important perspective to keep if anyone writes this box office story away as a mere beneficiary of a weak market. By the time August rolled around, many audiences were yearning for a crowd-pleasing, family-friendly popcorn movie. Gunn and Marvel gave it to them.

--------------------

There's your biggest reason. There is little to distract theater customers from wanting to go back and see Guardians again over this other mess of movies. Gunn and the cast members delivered superbly, while the other productions counted on long-established franchises to carry the day.

It seems like Box Office Mojo is rewriting history here. Their breakdown of summer box office predictions doesn't even come close to showing they had any foresight that this summer's offerings were going to be as muted as they were. And based on this author's own analysis, if this summers offerings were stronger, would the audiences have been "yearning for a crowd-pleasing, family-friendly popcorn movie"?

GOTG was a terrific movie. But, it is not a top 5 movie most years. It definitely benefited from a weak box office showing so far this year.

--------------------

--------------------

It seems like Box Office Mojo is rewriting history here. Their breakdown of summer box office predictions doesn't even come close to showing they had any foresight that this summer's offerings were going to be as muted as they were. And based on this author's own analysis, if this summers offerings were stronger, would the audiences have been "yearning for a crowd-pleasing, family-friendly popcorn movie"?

GOTG was a terrific movie. But, it is not a top 5 movie most years. It definitely benefited from a weak box office showing so far this year.

i think this year the summer was so jam pack with movies coming out. that some would get hurt by it GOTG and TMNT has benefit for the fact they coming out towards the end of summer, GOTG got more of the benefit side of it.

--------------------

--------------------

Normally I would agree with what you say in the section that I bolded. However, I want to raise a point that movie attendance is in decline in the way that CD and DVD sales are in decline.

Why would I buy a CD when I can get it in digital format either legally or illegally and on top of that pick the tunes I want?

Why would I buy a DVD/Blu Ray when I can wait a month and a half and buy it for 1/2-1/4 the original MSRP?

The cinematic experience is no longer a "must see". This is no longer 1942 where I can either stay home or go to the theater to see Casablanca, where if I miss it in the theater it will be a very long time before I have that opportunity to see it again. In today's world, I missed Captain America: Winter Solider in the theater. The movie was out in April. According to iTunes, I can legally download it now if I want to watch it. I can download it and put it on the big screen at home and have a couple of friends over and it is already cheaper than going to the movies where I have to put up with a few people screaming obscenities and drunken remarks at the screen.

The age of the movie is dead, and Hollywood is having a hard time coping. Bootleg copies are circulated before the movie is even released, kids know how to download a movie from their computer illegally and it is much easier than asking mom or dad for $13 to go to the theater with an additional $10 for a soda and popcorn. Me? I have netflix disc rental and instant streaming. I have no desire to go to the movies anymore knowing that I can wait a few months (April, May, June, July, August) and the movie will be available to watch as part of my monthly dues which are far cheaper than going to the movies.

There are a few movies that are generating a great deal of profit for the industry, but if we were to go strictly by box office revenue during the film's initial release, and take out the top 10 and bottom 10 revenue earners, I am willing to bet that the industry is in decline.

There are a few movies that are generating a great deal of profit for the industry, but if we were to go strictly by box office revenue during the film's initial release, and take out the top 10 and bottom 10 revenue earners, I am willing to bet that the industry is in decline.

The domestic market is stalling right now. The international market is where studios are seeing growth each year. Which is why the studios are getting wise to filming scenes in certain countries to show how much they appreciate a given local market. China especially with IM3 and Transformers: Age of Extinction, which both exceeded a billion dollars worldwide.

2013 global cinema trends published

AUC3OtA.png

Ouch! Need I say more about this weekend?

August 8, 2014: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

August 15, 2014: The Expendables 3

August 22, 2014: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

August 22, 2014: The November Man

September 19, 2014: The Maze Runner (based on a Sci-Fi book trilogy)

September 26, 2014: The Boxtrolls

September 26, 2014: The Equalizer

October 3, 2014: Gone Girl

October 10, 2014: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

October 10, 2014: The Judge (Robert Downey JR movie)

October 17, 2014: Dracula Untold

October 17, 2014: Fury (Brad Pitt WW II tank warfare film)

October 17, 2014: Kingsman: The Secret Service moved to 2015

November 7, 2014: Interstellar

November 7, 2014: Big Hero 6

November 14, 2014: Dumb and Dumber To

November 21, 2014: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1

December 19, 2014: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

December 19, 2014: Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

December 19, 2014: Annie (2014)

Many more movies coming.

Many more movies coming.

and other than Gone Girl and Interstellar, nothing of interest here

For us. For the general movie-goer, there may be some goodies there that takes them off point enough to focus on other movies. And something different like 'The Boxtrolls' may bring some box office surprises (no play on words meant).

--------------------

--------------------

there's an outside chance this gets to $300MM domestic. no one saw that coming.

Many more movies coming.

Now that you mentioned it. We got an almost 8 month wait until the new Avengers movie. There really is no big superhero movie coming out until then.

That's the estimate right now. And it was close.

SUNDAY UPDATE: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Leads with $17.6M; 'If I Stay' #3 with Solid $16.4M; 'When the Game Stands Tall' #5 with Modest $9.0M; 'Sin City' Sequel Tanks with $6.5M

----------------------

Disney's Guardians of the Galaxy claimed first place this weekend with an estimated $17.63 million. The blockbuster sci-fi superhero adaptation from Marvel returned to first place after finishing in second each of the past two weekends. Guardians of the Galaxy held up extremely well this weekend, as it was down just 30 percent from last weekend. Guardians of the Galaxy surpassed the $250 million mark this weekend and has grossed $251.88 million in 24 days. That currently ranks the film as the third highest grossing release of 2014 thus far domestically (behind only Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Lego Movie). Guardians of the Galaxy is set to move into first place for the year within the next week.

After leading the box office each of the past two weekends, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fell to second with an estimated $16.8 million. Paramount's successful franchise re-launch was down a solid 41 percent from last weekend. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles continues to exceed expectations in a big way with $145.61 million through 17 days of release. The film will zoom past the $150 million domestic mark within the next week and should continue to further stabilize next weekend with help from the Labor Day holiday.

Warner's If I Stay debuted in third with an estimated $16.36 million. The low-budget drama starring Chloë Grace Moretz opened towards the lower end of pre-release expectations and performed well with its cost in mind. If I Stay opened slightly ahead of the $16.10 million debut of last year's Carrie, which also starred Moretz. Due in part to its different genre and in part to the limited amount of new wide releases over the next few weeks, If I Stay will hope to hold up better going forward than Carrie did. If I Stay opened with $6.82 million on Friday (which included an estimated $1.1 million from late night shows on Thursday), fell 18 percent on Saturday to take in $5.61 million and is estimated to fall 30 percent on Sunday to gross $3.93 million. That places the film's estimated opening weekend to Friday ratio at 2.40 to 1. The audience breakdown for the film skewed heavily towards female moviegoers (77 percent) and moviegoers under the age of 25 (61 percent). If I Stay received an encouraging A- rating on CinemaScore.

----------------------

The original estimate was that 'If I Stay' was going to hit $20 MM this weekend. Again, the analysts are having a difficult time pegging these forecasts in a tough cinema year.

Many more movies coming.

Now that you mentioned it. We got an almost 8 month wait until the new Avengers movie. There really is no big superhero movie coming out until then.

Interstellar should be good. :wishluck: