• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Chip:

Here's how you can definitely tell that the review is "Look at me" type of review. There is no review of the movie. 90% of the article is talking about attitude and the bygone day of less death etc etc. There is no actual critique of the movie. He basically took a pre written "old Man Speech" peppered in some comments about the movie (o here's a line from drax) and hit publish.

eBay has pretty much been wiped out of Fear #19 except for some huge-dollar copies.

Hoo-boy, here we go. :)

Peace,

Chip

Yep it happened fast too.

One poor soul listed one in the G/S/B section here at the current hot prices and was threadkrapped repeatedly and unfairly.

If people would just look at ebay BINs... there are a few boardies listing the very same book at the the very high adjusted price.

It's like Avengers #55 all over again :ohnoez:

I think movie speculation has finally jumped the shark.

Didn't Howard already have his own movie a couple of decades ago that was a complete bomb?

I believe I mentioned that in my review. It DEFINITELY looks like they took a raw or initial render and used it in the film. What my marvel source tells me is that it is a VERY recently done scene (a previously seen screening from about 2 months ago did NOT have Thanos in it at all.) So it is a very rushed look.

Yup with Lea Thompson. Wasn't a complete bomb financially, it broke even (37 million dollar budget, 38 million dollar box office) Movie was terrible though.

Unfortunately, that is a bomb. After theater ticket sales sharing and marketing expenses, you have to do well over 2X budget to make up for those additional expenses. And now with today's international distribution, 3X or greater to account for all the revenue sharing that needs to be covered.

:(

Sure Bosco, I agree. My definition of bomb though is a movie that didn't even make its production budget back in gross. So like Cutthrought Island or Ishtar. The Studio took a loss, but I think the term bomb is just used too loosely lately for any movie that does not live up to expectations.

Yup with Lea Thompson. Wasn't a complete bomb financially, it broke even (37 million dollar budget, 38 million dollar box office) Movie was terrible though.

What was horrible was the little guy running around in that silly duck costume. If not for that, I actually enjoyed the movie. Too bad they went with live action instead of doing it like Who Framed Roger Rabbit with animation mixed in. I imagine with CGI available these days it would be much better if they did another Howard then Duck movie.

Sure Bosco, I agree. My definition of bomb though is a movie that didn't even make its production budget back in gross. So like Cutthrought Island or Ishtar. The Studio took a loss, but I think the term bomb is just used too loosely lately for any movie that does not live up to expectations.

A bomb is a studio term when they "break even" or loose money. A lot more goes into the film than the production budget. Even if a movie make its production budget back in gross, that is still a bomb.

Wow! That is quite the impression made by this movie.

:applause:

The thing with this movie is, for both myself and my wife, it really called out just how bad movie fatigue is. Everything has gotten to be "grounded" in "reality" that by the time you leave the theater- you're actually kind of tired. Exhausted somehow.

This movie feels like an 80s adventure film with modern effects so when you walk out of the theater you actually have MORE energy than when you went in.

I think that's why people keep saying it's a "breath of fresh air." It's not that there's nothing like it, it's just that there hasn't been anything like it in a couple decades. I had the feeling leaving that I wanted to have after leaving Transformers and GI Joe.

That's why it's the best Marvel movie to me- not exactly because of overall quality but because it's doing something I feel as an audience member movies forgot they're supposed to do.

Maybe my take on it is irrationally high and people will be disappointed, but I kind of hope other people feel like I did. It's nice to have that kind of experience at a summer movie again. Reminded me of being a kid.

9fH69KTciUk.jpg

I just can't get past the fact that THIS is what represents the Nova corps. Even the guy in the back with the helmet on is meh.

NOPE. It's a scene in the council chamber. The Nova Corps is pretty bad in the film. Though don't expect true Nova's to show up.

:news:SPOILER :news:

First (Low-Res) Look Josh Brolin's THANOS In GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

Like Jaybuck shared already, it looks slightly rushed yet really cool to see the big guy.

i2j5MBm.png

His head is too small.

i think we need him in the chair instead