• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Although in current numbers it is very impressive, I'm not sure that is completely accurate. Even Iron Man (2008) when adjusted for inflation would be $647.5 worldwide.

GotG will do much bigger numbers. But it has not surpassed Iron Man just yet.

Although in current numbers it is very impressive, I'm not sure that is completely accurate. Even Iron Man (2008) when adjusted for inflation would be $647.5 worldwide.

GotG will do much bigger numbers. But it has not surpassed Iron Man just yet.

the real question is will it pass X-Men:DOFP for biggest superhero WW BO this year? Will almost certainly take down ASM2 & Cap: WS- could have gotten very long odds in Vegas 6 months ago of this happening.

Does anyone know why the China release date is not until Oct 10? I wonder how much it will hurt the box office take, if at all. CA TWS did 100m+ in China, but it's release date was close to the US and overall global release. If GotG did 100m in China it would put it right up there with CA TWS for worldwide take.

Does anyone know why the China release date is not until Oct 10? I wonder how much it will hurt the box office take, if at all. CA TWS did 100m+ in China, but it's release date was close to the US and overall global release. If GotG did 100m in China it would put it right up there with CA TWS for worldwide take.

Chinese gov't (essentially) decides when a movie is going to be released in their country. Your question is a good one, will be interesting to see how it does. If it does $100MM in China, it's going to pass X-Men:DOFP @>$750MM WW.

I'm not for sure but after thinking about it for a sec, I was guessing that it takes a few more months to edit the release for the culture over there,. like over dubbing the new vocals to the Chinese language and then edit out some stuff that might be in bad taste to the culture over there, then again who knows?

With the Japan opening weekend results, the final figure ($2.1 MM) is somewhere below the middle of the other three movies this year.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 31–Jun. 1): $2,677,387

Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Apr. 26–27): $4,105,577

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Apr. 19–20): $1,936,549

From what I understand, China government has a policy whereby in the summer, only China made movies can be screened to promote its own industry. I guess GOTG can only be screened after this period has passed?

August 8, 2014: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

August 15, 2014: The Expendables 3

August 22, 2014: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

August 29, 2014: The November Man

September 12, 2014: Dolphin Tale 2

September 12, 2014: No Good Deed (starring Idris Elba)

September 12, 2014: Tusk (Kevin Smith horror-comedy)

September 19, 2014: The Maze Runner (based on a Sci-Fi book trilogy)

September 19, 2014: This is Where I Leave You (comedy)

September 19, 2014: A Walk Among the Tombstones (Liam Neeson detective thriller)

September 26, 2014: The Boxtrolls

September 26, 2014: The Equalizer

October 3, 2014: Gone Girl

October 10, 2014: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

October 10, 2014: The Judge (Robert Downey JR movie)

October 17, 2014: Dracula Untold

October 17, 2014: Fury (Brad Pitt WW II tank warfare film)

November 7, 2014: Interstellar

November 7, 2014: Big Hero 6

November 14, 2014: Dumb and Dumber To

November 21, 2014: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1

December 19, 2014: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

December 19, 2014: Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

December 19, 2014: Annie (2014)

Next movies in the hopper this weekend.

With the Japan opening weekend results, the final figure ($2.1 MM) is somewhere below the middle of the other three movies this year.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 31–Jun. 1): $2,677,387

Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Apr. 26–27): $4,105,577

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Apr. 19–20): $1,936,549

I'm kind of shocked that a populated and developed country like japan only has a 2m opening weekend. Are western movies not really watched in Japan or is there some other explanation? Few screens?