• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I am no GOTG expert and never really followed their story line, but I had the impression that they were supposed to be more heroic and less psychologically challenged. I was expecting a group of badass good guys and not a motley crew of misfits. They look more like Rejects of the Galaxy than Guardians.

The Usual Suspects allusion seems intentional.

It's got a chance to be great. This was an introduction trailer, it hit some good notes. I am just not sold yet.

I can't believe Marvel has wasted this opportunity to have this series already reprinted.

The Tpbs and HCs from this run are out of print as of right now (aka super inflated eBay/Amazon prices)

The single issues are even worse.

There is a planned HC complete collection but that isn't until July/August (right before the movie.)

I hope this changes quickly.

There is nothing on the normal LCS shelf that will directly relate to this film. The current run is decent but doesn't feel the same. Although the newest GotG point now issue does include the digital version of the vol 1 tpb for this newest marvel now run.

Based on what you're saying here, Marvel seems to be taking advantage of the movie by doing the HC.

The fanboy "reading" market is just too early & small for Marvel to bother with - it's also a sub-set of the larger "movie key comics" specu-cycle - non-fans who might be interested in picking up a trade won't care about picking up any books until the movie advertising budget really kicks in, a week or two before release.

(shrug)

I can't believe some of the negativity about this...

Can't judge a film solely on a 2 minute trailer, but from the first 2 mins anyone has seen, is pretty faithful to the original source material.

That trailer is pretty much, exactly what any fan of the DnA run on GOTG, would hope to see.

Obviously, with some Cosmo mixed in. :)

I don't know if anyone is judging the film at all. It sounded like people were judging just the trailer. (shrug)

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't accusing anyone else of judging the movie, I was talking about myself.

I was attempting to articulate, that based on the trailer, it looks very close to the source material.

Isn't that what most people ask for?

Wasn't impressed. I think I may have even rolled my eyes a few times.

And I'm trying to think of a song I hate worse than that one, but nothing is coming to mind.

Hopefully Marvel will do better with the next Avengers movie.

This would have been worse...

I would have actually liked that one better.

I'm with Bababooey on this, optimal time to release the HC would be maybe 2-3 weeks before the release date. At that point commercials will be all over the place, along with tie-ins and other marketing, people will be curious about it. The real buying probably won't take place though until after the movie comes out, thats when youll see the real bump. So yea it doesn't make sense for Marvel to release now and have the HC sit on shelves for 5-6 months before it gets picked up (and what store wants to give up shelf space for 5-6 months?)

Here's an embedded copy of the trailer.

I for one think it looks very promising! :headbang:

(thumbs u

I've been notoriously critical of modern superhero movies, which in my view at least tend to be ponderous, overwrought, self-consciously "serious" affairs, and--occasionally--downright depressing. This, on the other hand, looks like a real hoot...

Can't judge a film solely on a 2 minute trailer, but from the first 2 mins anyone has seen, is pretty faithful to the original source material.

That trailer is pretty much, exactly what any fan of the DnA run on GOTG, would hope to see.

I don't know if anyone is judging the film at all. It sounded like people were judging just the trailer. (shrug)

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't accusing anyone else of judging the movie, I was talking about myself.

I was attempting to articulate, that based on the trailer, it looks very close to the source material.

It could be fun, I hope it is, I see all the Marvel movies opening weekend (or try to)...I just hope the humor flows naturally from good writing and delivery and isn't forced or hackneyed.

I like Chris Pratt. I think he was a nice choice. The physical presence of a Chris Evans type and the snarky charm of a Downey Jr. type.

Batista is going to get the WWE audience to watch it

While I agree there is some cross over, Batista is really a non-entity right now in his 'comeback' on WWE. No pop from the crowd and comes over like a poor mans Rock.

That said...

He is (at this point) headlining Wrestlemania which I believe coincides with the GoTG movie releasing? (Correct me if I am wrong...no caffeine yet this morning).

I am no GOTG expert and never really followed their story line, but I had the impression that they were supposed to be more heroic and less psychologically challenged. I was expecting a group of badass good guys and not a motley crew of misfits. They look more like Rejects of the Galaxy than Guardians.

I would actually say a good description of the team in the DnA run of GOTG, which the movie is based on, would be "motley crew of misfits".

The were never really portrayed as the Space Avengers.

It could be fun, I hope it is, I see all the Marvel movies opening weekend (or try to)...I just hope the humor flows naturally from good writing and delivery and isn't forced or hackneyed.

I like Chris Pratt. I think he was a nice choice. The physical presence of a Chris Evans type and the snarky charm of a Downey Jr. type.

I would say I am being cautiously optimistic.

I actually think Pratt will be fantastic. I have said from the beginning, this film will live or die by how they choose to portray Rocket, and how he comes across in the movie.

It could be a complete home run, or a total Jar Jar Binks.

The current run is decent but doesn't feel the same. Although the newest GotG point now issue does include the digital version of the vol 1 tpb for this newest marvel now run.

Absolutely right. I've been waiting and waiting for it to catch on, but it just keeps plodding along. It's a shade of the 2008 run, I'm actually surprised at how poorly Bendis' writing is on this book. They need to can him and get someone in there that actually grasps what the GotG is supposed to be about.

Batista is going to get the WWE audience to watch it

While I agree there is some cross over, Batista is really a non-entity right now in his 'comeback' on WWE. No pop from the crowd and comes over like a poor mans Rock.

That said...

He is (at this point) headlining Wrestlemania which I believe coincides with the GoTG movie releasing? (Correct me if I am wrong...no caffeine yet this morning).

Nope, Wrestlemania is April 6th, Guardians is in August, so basically 4 months before hand. However, the IWC (Internet Wrestling Community) is pretty convinced that Batista will take the belt at Mania and headline Summerslam (August 14th) at which point he will drop the title, hopefully to Danial Bryan. I'll see my nerdy out now....

The current run is decent but doesn't feel the same. Although the newest GotG point now issue does include the digital version of the vol 1 tpb for this newest marvel now run.

Absolutely right. I've been waiting and waiting for it to catch on, but it just keeps plodding along. It's a shade of the 2008 run, I'm actually surprised at how poorly Bendis' writing is on this book. They need to can him and get someone in there that actually grasps what the GotG is supposed to be about.

Sucks to know that any new readers that enter an LCS over the next 5 months will be handed the new run or be told, 'wait til the end of July and then find out what these guys are really about.'

I'm a more casual fan of the comic book world and have loved the first phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I had never heard of GOTG until the movie was announced and was not sure what to expect. But had big expectations with the quality Marvel has produced thus far. After viewing the 2 minute trailer I just don't see any of the characters appealing to the masses, and don't see the lead character being able to carry the film. The trailer has a cheesy b-film feel to it. Hopefully I am wrong and my opinion will change as more footage is released.

Looks good to me. All of the Marvel movies have had stupid humor and jokes that make you roll your eyes and considering that this movie involves a talking raccoon and tree its probably best that it doesn't take itself too seriously. I would be surprised if this and Winter Soldier both don't do significantly better than Thor 2.