• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gardenia126 - EBay seller to avoid???

53 posts in this topic

What would've happened if the book came back a 9.4-9.6? Would the OP have told the seller and given him a taste of the profit? I'm going to assume the answer is no, sometimes you takes your chances and lose (shrug)

Normally i would agree with you but if he is GUARANTEEING a 9.2, it should be at least a 9.2 no? (shrug)

Yes. When you guarantee things like "excellent service" or "satisfaction" anything above and beyond that is part of the guarantee and not subject to additional fees based on performance above and beyond the guarantee.

Wow. You got bent over.

He bent himself over - pre-lubed Greggy style.

I'm on the OP's side. I can see why people are saying it's stupid to believe a guarantee that the comic will be a certain grade. But if the seller said if the comic came back lower that he would accept a refund, there shouldn't be a problem. He shouldn't say that and then back out when the comic actually came back lower.

No. I was very agreeable to take the grading cost hit. I even sent him the book graded.

I managed to get someone from EBay and they were able to open a case on their end and the seller agreed to refund. I actually had someone that knew ASM then I corrected myself and before I could get the word in he said "Spiderman".

All is good. Just for everyone else. Beware guaranteed grades and then slow mailings to lock you out of a dispute later on because you've already closed one on it.

As long as the OP doesn't expect to be refunded the grading costs, since the seller never mentioned that the costs would also be refunded.

What would've happened if the book came back a 9.4-9.6? Would the OP have told the seller and given him a taste of the profit? I'm going to assume the answer is no, sometimes you takes your chances and lose (shrug)

Normally i would agree with you but if he is GUARANTEEING a 9.2, it should be at least a 9.2 no? (shrug)

I hear what you're saying, but unless he bought from Steve Borock or Mark Haspel I wouldn't take what anyone said as a "guarantee". Even the best sellers don't get it right all the time (shrug)

This was more of a warning about a potential scam for ALL EBay buyers to be aware of. I'm not sure if his actions were premeditated. If he really thought he had a 9.2. I don't know. I can only tell you what see with my usual EBay skepticism. I'm not sure if the main part of this post got lost in the story:

1 - Seller takes forever, even with emails to ship your book. You open a claim and then the seller says the book is going out tomorrow.

2- You get the book and immediately the seller asks you to close your case because PP locked his funds or whatever.

3- You fast track your book and get it back PLOD, GLOD, or very undergraded, etc

4- You try to open a "Not As Described" case after the seller either says take a hike or drags his feet on a refund.

5- PP and EBay say "Sorry, you already opened and closed a case on that item; too bad. Go talk to the seller"

6- You the buyer screwed unless you can get someone on the phone at EBay who has a clue about comics and the grading system.

This was more of a warning about a potential scam for ALL EBay buyers to be aware of. I'm not sure if his actions were premeditated. If he really thought he had a 9.2. I don't know. I can only tell you what see with my usual EBay skepticism. I'm not sure if the main part of this post got lost in the story:

1 - Seller takes forever, even with emails to ship your book. You open a claim and then the seller says the book is going out tomorrow.

2- You get the book and immediately the seller asks you to close your case because PP locked his funds or whatever.

3- You fast track your book and get it back PLOD, GLOD, or very undergraded, etc

4- You try to open a "Not As Described" case after the seller either says take a hike or drags his feet on a refund.

5- PP and EBay say "Sorry, you already opened and closed a case on that item; too bad. Go talk to the seller"

6- You the buyer screwed unless you can get someone on the phone at EBay who has a clue about comics and the grading system.

Yes, it was premeditated. This was comic-keys/robojo33's M.O. for years.

It's a shame Stu no longer posters here. He could explain it to you in a much more colorful fashion than I can.

The moral of the story is once you open a claim against a seller you do not close the claim until the item is in hand and is as described.

I would hope you can tell a book in hand whether it would be more of a 8.0 or a 9.2, if not then you shouldn't be buying books in this manner because you will end up out of the 45 day window more often than not.

The moral of the story is once you open a claim against a seller you do not close the claim until the item is in hand and is as described.

I would hope you can tell a book in hand whether it would be more of a 8.0 or a 9.2, if not then you shouldn't be buying books in this manner because you will end up out of the 45 day window more often than not.

+1

It appears the OP knew it was not a 9.2 and sent it in anyway. IMHO he should've tried returning the book as soon as he received it. I've bought from people on Ebay where a raw book is listed as a 9.8 and comes back from CGC as a 9.6 and I never once thought about getting a refund. On the flip side, I've bought books graded as 9.2 raw and have had them come back 9.6 - 9.8. It is what it is (shrug)

I found out it was a cracked 8.5. I would have been fine with a 9. I've subbed books that I was hoping for a 9.2 and got 9.6. I got pretty good with resto. Grading I fall short on. Which edition grading book should I get. Im typing from my phone. I remember there was a third edition out and people were saying get the second edition. I don't remember the name of the book.

I would have to dig, but I think Spiderman-on-Tilt tore this guy a new rectal orifice a few months back. He's known to the community by his real name too. I would have to find the thread. I just woke up. I just remembered it was pretty rough what was written.

Besides, how can HE guarantee anything when CGC can't even guarantee resto depending on the day of the week and flip flop entire grades?

This guy has a HULK 181 with a presumed grade of 9.4 unrestored up for auction. Is this legit? I also saw some of his other listings and they're all silver age ASM books presumed to be between 9.0 and 9.8's? How the heck?

consider this a learning experience.

You want a guaranteed cgc 9.2 book you should buy a cgc 9.2 book not a raw Ebay copy.

Yes the seller is a jerk.

But learn from this experience and save yourself the time and the hassles.