• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Definition of High Grade

121 posts in this topic

For me:

Moderns/Copper 9.6 and up NM+

Bronze 9.4 and up NM

Silver 9.2 and up NM-

Gold 9.0 and up VF/NM

I don't get how anything that doesn't have the word "mint" somewhere in the grade can be considered high grade.

But that's just me. :)

I agree that HG barometer moves per age/era and in some cases genre/era...

Modern 9.8

Copper 9.6

Bronze 9.4

Silver 9.0

Golden 8.0

And then, for example, Atlas/Marvel Pre-Heros 1954 - 1962 I'd go 7.5...in many cases there are no 9.0 or greater graded/known books...

That's what makes the term "High Grade" special.... to me anyways.

I have a feeling it all comes down to who owns what, and how they'd like to market it for sale. :foryou:

'High grade' has nothing to do with scarcity, nothing to do with age.

It is a term used to describe a book with minor wear, no major defects, excellent eye-appeal. I'd personally say VF or better fits that description.

And considering that the whole grading structure is loosely described by three terms, people who think 'high grade' is reserved for books at 9.4 or better, or have 'mint' somewhere in their designation, are a little bit :screwy:

:/

(worship) I was hoping you would chime in.

I don't think the commonality of any given book in any given grade should determine that it is or isn't high grade.

I don't care if the highest graded known copy of Super Dooper Man is 6.5. 6.5 is mid grade all day long. Some yahoo on eBay may declare it to be high grade, but it isn't.

BS, if it's a rare GA in grades above fine, then 7.0 for that book is HG.

I disagree. Rarity doesn't factor into the definition of high grade. If a book is rare in grades above 4.0 and a copy surfaces in 5.0, that's considered high grade? BS

I call BS to your BS. :sumo:

I call BS to your calling BS to my BS.

Hulk head hurt

Wow, lotsa good feedback. I guess for me, it still is the VF+ and above range regardless of the era. But, with that said, for me personally, the newer the book, the higher grade it must be. And, the older the book, the more I am willing to accept a lower grade into my collection. Of course, my budget is the main reason for that. Still, I don't think the definition of "high grade" should change for each era (or scarcity for that matter). Just what condition of book I am willing to put in my collection.

It is a term used to describe a book with minor wear, no major defects, excellent eye-appeal. I'd personally say VF or better fits that description.

And considering that the whole grading structure is loosely described by three terms, people who think 'high grade' is reserved for books at 9.4 or better, or have 'mint' somewhere in their designation, are a little bit :screwy:

That's just b/c he agrees with you. :baiting:

I understand that position, but I still think there should be some sliding scale in regards to age.

A 9.0 GA book and a 9.0 Copper are NOT "the same".

But in essence we arent talking about condition relative to pricing or availability.

A book that is a 9.0 is high grade. There are only 5 steps on the scale left above it. Or put like this, a 9.0 is in the top 20% of the grading scale.

The fact that a Tec 56 in 9.0 is not the same as D.P.7 6 in 9.0 is irrelevant.

:foryou:

But in essence we arent talking about condition relative to pricing or availability.

A book that is a 9.0 is high grade. There are only 5 steps on the scale left above it. Or put like this, a 9.0 is in the top 20% of the grading scale.

The fact that a Tec 56 in 9.0 is not the same as D.P.7 6 in 9.0 is irrelevant.

:foryou:

Some of you aren't talking about condition as it relates to availability. :sumo::baiting:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that HG is the top grade for a particular book. For instance, I wouldn't call a Tec 27 in 6.5 "HG", even though it's scarce. I'd call an 8.5 HG for that book. I wouldn't say the same for McSpidey #1.

9.8 and above for me. No sliding scale for gold, silver, etc. If the book is 70's on up, I simply won't buy one graded at less than 9.8. Now, I have plenty of my original raw collection that are not that nice, but I won't actively go out and buy one that isn't 9.8-- they are just not that uncommon.

You have a big wallet for those 9.8 gold,silver and bronze books?

I understand that position, but I still think there should be some sliding scale in regards to age.

Yes they are. :baiting:

'High grade' is a descriptive term relating wholly to condition and identifies a set of common attributes.

You go to buy a fridge. The first shop you go into has only one small model in stock. The second store you visit has two hundred fridges, including the one you've already seen in the first shop. It now doesn't look so hot in such illustrious company.

But it remains a fridge...it's not suddenly a cat box.

Yes they are. :baiting:

'High grade' is a descriptive term relating wholly to condition and identifies a set of common attributes.

You go to buy a fridge. The first shop you go into has only one small model in stock. The second store you visit has two hundred fridges, including the one you've already seen in the first shop. It now doesn't look so hot in such illustrious company.

But it remains a fridge...it's not suddenly a cat box.

What if a cat in it?

Yep Guv

The condition the book is in is the condition it is in. Just because it has 5 spine stresses and the other book has spine stresses makes them the same. Just because one is All-American 16 while the other is Doom 2099 doesnt make them different

Yep Guv

The condition the book is in is the condition it is in. Just because it has 5 spine stresses and the other book has spine stresses makes them the same. Just because one is All-American 16 while the other is Doom 2099 doesnt make them different

I agree. It's the context in which a grade is discussed that is relevant. I.e., "This book is a 7.0. For what it is, this is a high grade, because it's the highest CGC has ever certified among 12 examples of this issue." But a 7.0 is never a high grade in a vacuum.

As a rough rule I've always viewed the 10.0 scale broken into thirds...

0.5 - 3.5 low grade

4.0 - 7.0 mid-grade

7.5 - 10.0 high grade

:insane:

I agree Tom,regardless of age of the book. (thumbs u

9.8 and above for me. No sliding scale for gold, silver, etc. If the book is 70's on up, I simply won't buy one graded at less than 9.8. Now, I have plenty of my original raw collection that are not that nice, but I won't actively go out and buy one that isn't 9.8-- they are just not that uncommon.

You have a big wallet for those 9.8 gold,silver and bronze books?

Like I said, for 70's and up, yes. No reason to buy a 9.4 and then later buy a 9.8 anyway. Just get the 9.8 and move on to the next one you want. Might even save money in the long run!