• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First time CGC submittal

21 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I just recently submitted my first batch of comics to CGC for grading and the first one that came back seems to have something like a bubble inside the back cover. I hope this picture shows up. Is there anyone out there that knows what this is and should I be concerned about it?

http://www.collectorsomnibus.com/?attachment_id=177

thanks,

jelani

Looks like a butt print. It's part of CGC's new encapsulation process. This process is designed to help with the current turnaround times.

But really I have no idea what it is. Seems odd though

It is an imperfection I see all the time in the inner well. Not sure if it is created as part of the sealing process or an imperfection during manufacturing. I would bring this to CGC's attention.

I posted a similar post on the "ask CGC" forum but the administrator hasn't approved the post yet so no response. I wasn't sure how to describe the issue over the phone and was hoping they could look at the picture. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of my books before submitting them, and I haven't looked at the back of that comic in sometime but I don't think that was there before.

Is there a way to contact CGC with a picture other than the forums here?

thanks

Here is the response I received back from the CGC contact email.

"That is a by-product of the injection molds used to manufacture our inner wells and is more cosmetic than anything. That will not affect your book in any way."

I hope the rest of the collecting community is aware of that, if I ever try and sell it and have to explain that. You would think that besides the grading, that CGC would be concerned with the cosmetic display of these books as well.

thanks for your help and suggestions.

"That is a by-product of the injection molds used to manufacture our inner wells and is more cosmetic than anything. That will not affect your book in any way."

I hope the rest of the collecting community is aware of that, if I ever try and sell it and have to explain that. You would think that besides the grading, that CGC would be concerned with the cosmetic display of these books as well.

It's uncommon enough that I would guess you would, in fact, have a problem if you tried to sell the book. I know I would stay away from it unless it was a book I very much wanted. I would continue to bug CGC about it. It seems to me that this problem is one that should be caught in their quality control checks. If you don't receive satisfaction, you can always go to your credit card company and tell them the product received is defective -- which, in my view, it is.

If people accept this problem, CGC doesn't have an incentive to correct it. My 2c

It's uncommon enough that I would guess you would, in fact, have a problem if you tried to sell the book. I know I would stay away from it unless it was a book I very much wanted. I would continue to bug CGC about it. It seems to me that this problem is one that should be caught in their quality control checks. If you don't receive satisfaction, you can always go to your credit card company and tell them the product received is defective -- which, in my view, it is.

If people accept this problem, CGC doesn't have an incentive to correct it. My 2c

+1

To answer your question Amazing Comics413, it's a Daredevil #1

Hmm, this is not how I wanted my first CGC experience to go, I have 4 more books that are listed shipped/safe and I want to see if there is a similar issue and then I will start getting indignant.

I would not be happy.

It looks vacuum sealed.

Exactly. It does look vacuum sealed. Not acceptable at all - it looks weird enough that it would affect selling it. I would suggest calling CGC and politely but firmly telling them you are not happy with it and want it reslabbed and see what they say.

BTW hepqwyn, Welcome to the Boards

Luckily CGC now has an in house pressing service. :whistle:

It does look like the book could benefit from a press based on the spine. I'd ask for a free re-holder and get a press while you're at it.

It does look like the book could benefit from a press based on the spine. I'd ask for a free re-holder and get a press while you're at it.

If he gets the book pressed, it would have to be re-graded. But if the press is helpful, it would be well worth it.

If he gets the book pressed, it would have to be re-graded. But if the press is helpful, it would be well worth it.

lol. Yeah. It was too early when I posted that. Hadn't turned my brain on for the day