• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dumb me and F USPS

53 posts in this topic

Yeah .. what other's have stated: put an order in for the 1092 and 1095 - 1 slab properly protected in this double box configuration will be exactly 2.0lbs

What's your 1092/1095 technique exactly?

I haven't tried double boxing, but my idea of it would be something along the lines of: bubble wrap the slab, place in 1092, add cushioning to 1095, place 1092 in 1095, add extra cushioning to 1095 and seal.

1) Bubble-wrap slab

2) Place in 1092 box and add packing peanuts to top of 1092 box.

3) Put sealed 1092 box in 1095 box upside down (so the 1092 top with the packing peanuts is on the bottom of the 1095 box)

4) Add packing peanuts to fill top of 1095.

The end result is a slab that's protected by bubble-wrap on all 4 sides, packing peanuts on both the top & bottom and two boxes.

FWIW, in case you think he's BSing, twice now I've ordered those 1092 boxes from USPS and mine never showed up either. (shrug)

You have to stay on their you-know-whats...they HAVE to send them...

CAL :sumo:

Maybe I should make a Youtube tutorial and everyone can watch how to properly pack a box??

:idea:

:baiting: Get to work.

I try to be extra safe with anything I ship, but it's not easy to find tutorials.

Even the "How To Ship A Book" sticky doesn't have the 1092/1095 combination info readily accessible.

1) Bubble-wrap slab

3) Put sealed 1092 box in 1095 box upside down (so the 1092 top with the packing peanuts is on the bottom of the 1095 box)

I bubble wrap the complete thickness of a 1092 and then put it into a 1095 box, bubble wrap the excess space, and I've still had the USPS damage a slabbed book. I have no idea what they do to a package to cause that much damage, but they manage to do it. Perils of shipping comics, I suppose.

Does anybody know an estimate of U.S. shipping using a 1092 inside a 1095?

With a single slab, the package ends up being just around 2 lbs - so the postage will depend on where it's going inside the US.

Yeah .. what other's have stated: put an order in for the 1092 and 1095 - 1 slab properly protected in this double box configuration will be exactly 2.0lbs

I haven't tried double boxing, but my idea of it would be something along the lines of: bubble wrap the slab, place in 1092, add cushioning to 1095, place 1092 in 1095, add extra cushioning to 1095 and seal.

someone else hit the nail on the head. I wrap the slab, put packing peanuts or soft foam around it and then make sure the side that has the slab closest to it is the one that is at the top so when you put more packing peanuts in the 1095 to fill remaining space, it protects the less protected side of the 1092.

You have to order them on the USPS website.

They're free and they deliver them to your house.

Yeah thats the problem I have and they never ever show up and to top it off the post master just like well try again. Never a good answer. Just going to start shipping diff. I will try to go to my other post office in diff area see if better luck.

Like said lesson learned

Hey man, if you can't get these up there, tell me what boxes you want and how many and I will order them for you and you can pick them up at the Phoenix show. If you need them sooner, my parents live in Show Low and I may be able to arrange for them to bring them up.

I just reordered some and spoke with a few other postal people. I will let you know either way thanks. But I do plan on stopping by booth too.

Are you ordering them online or asking P.O. employees to order them for you? They may be keeping your order for themselves if you are not ordering online. Go to USPS.com and create an account. Some items take up to 3 weeks to get delivered, so always order plenty of everything in advance, even if you don't need them yet. You can always give the extra stuff you don't need back to the P.O. if you feel guilty about having too many supplies on hand. They actually appreciate this at my local P.O. as they can't seem to get enough supplies delivered to themselves. lol

Always get an order of Priority mail Tyvek envelopes. These are great when using Priority Mail. Wrap comics/slabs in these first, before putting into boxes/padded env.

They are an extra layer of protection AND waterproof. They are made to fit comics PERFECT. 11 5/8" X 15 1/8" You can perfectly fit 6-8 comics, bagged and boarded into one envelope sideways, and then fold over the remaining envelope. You can fit a slab into one straight, not sideways. Here's the LINK.

you go through all that trouble and then there's a 20 to 30% chance USPS still loose the package.

imho never ever ship something valuable through the post office. NEVER EVER. get 3rd party insurance and ship through FedEX.

1) Bubble-wrap slab

The end result is a slab that's protected by bubble-wrap on all 4 sides, packing peanuts on both the top & bottom and two boxes.