• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please tell me what you find wrong with this auction

14 posts in this topic

I was just roaming around Ebay and came across a Iron Man #55 in VF condition! Wow! I need one of those. But then I look at the picture and....well, you decide for your self. I thought these guys were on the up & up but when ever I look at their auctions their grading seems out of whack. Up until recently they were displaying the CGC logo and stating that they were an authorized CGC whatever. They had a bunch of Byrne X-Men books claiming 9.6 NM+. When I asked why they were selling these raw instead of grading them I received no response. I then looked at the big picture and realized that this was maybe a 9.0/9.2. Recently the CGC logo has disappeared from their auctions. Hmm...did they get the boot? Planet Comics Has anybody else dealt with them?

foreheadslap.gif That's ebay for ya.

Um, well, it is VF.....EXCEPT for the spine dings, dirt, crease breaking color upper right corner, back cover corner and interior page corner creases, etc etc etc. Maybe they meant VG but hit F instead.... 893whatthe.gif

This is the type of auction that helps makes CGC grading so popular. Hey Steve B, you guys ought to have somebody buy this book and have it slabbed and use it for an ad where you list the "unslabbed grade given by seller" vs "slabbed grade" to make the point....

Do you think it's a typo and they meant VG not VF?

How does the opening bid stand up to the VF grade?

I don't collect Bronze IM so I don't know off hand the value of this book. gossip.gif

The VF price is 70.00 in Overstreet. I was told to stop lurking so much and participate here so I'll give you my 2 cents: It's people like this that just ruin it for everyone. This is a relist for the 3rd time by the way. They are just hoping for a sucker to bid on it. Weeks ago I came across a auction from these guys for a NM+ Uncanny X-Men #119 (which was clearaly VF/NM) and these guys proudly displayed the CGC logo and pronounced that they would help protect your investment by submitting this book to CGC". So the logo is gone on this Iron Man #55 auction but I just checked their other auctions and guess what? The logo is there on "select" auctions like a What If #27 in NM. It reads this:

Let Planet Comics help you protect your investment with a CGC storage case and third party grading. We are charter CGC members and after the auction, we can submit this comic for you and have CGC ship directly to your house. Or if you already own comics that you would like to have CGC graded, you can download the Planet Comics - CGC Submission form. You'll save 10% off the CGC grading fees!

This is full on BS. They know that it is not VF so they drop the CGC logo for this auction but keep it up for the auctions they know will come back graded well. They selectively drop the CGC offer and logo on some of their auctions which they decide to overgrade. Stuff like this just infuriates me. I watch sellers all day long rake in $40-50 for "NM" X-Men all day when they are clearly VF/VF+/VF/NM copies. These kida do not know better. When they get it graded they are going to be pissed and say see ya later. It at its worst when it is a high profile Ebay dealer who dresses up his auctions and makes it seem like he is a role model (for lack of a better word). The kid will then say to himself "Well, if this big player" could not come through with a correct grade why should I try anyone else? Great way to get kids involved in the back issue market. Sorry to ramble but I am in full on pissed off mode here. Everybody loses: CGC gets represented by a full on cheat, the buyer gets the and all of us sellers who strictly grade everything lose out because all of the kids jump on any piece of junk that is labeled NM. Meanwhile our VF/NM books (which are better than most of the NM's on Ebay) get the shaft $ wise. Anybody have any thoughts?

I know what you mean.

Whenever I sell any of my Bronze 9.0/9.2s (acurately graded) I cringe.

I get $3-$9 when they book for $10-$30.

Then I see a small, fuzzy scan of the same issue a week later graded "NM" or "NM/M", get $20-$30 and I know it's way overgraded. VF/VF+ at best.

tonofbricks.gif

gossip.gifLook just to the right of the lower portion of the "N" in "Iron" ...there's a pin hole going through the book.... foreheadslap.gif

yea and it goes all the way to the back cover

thumbsup2.gif..hence the term "through"... tongue.gif

gossip.gifLook just to the right of the lower portion of the "N" in "Iron" ...there's a pin hole going through the book.... foreheadslap.gif

yea and it goes all the way to the back cover

thumbsup2.gif..hence the term "through"... tongue.gif

oh I thought you were talking about stir frying a peice of T bone steak.

I know what you mean.

Whenever I sell any of my Bronze 9.0/9.2s (acurately graded) I cringe.

I get $3-$9 when they book for $10-$30.

Then I see a small, fuzzy scan of the same issue a week later graded "NM" or "NM/M", get $20-$30 and I know it's way overgraded. VF/VF+ at best.

tonofbricks.gif

I know the feeling, but we really can't get mad by comparing ourselves to other people. As long as you know you have been honest and upfront with big scans, there's nothing more you can do. I always run auctions and treat people the way I want to be treated. If that means less money for me, then so be it.